Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking your opinion about store bought duck :smile:

I've fed it for variety because it's available for fairly reasonable price although it's a bit fatty. Do you guys think that duck can provide variety or is the bird too chicken like?
It's darker meat than chicken so I've been thinking that it could be different enough. But... does anyone know?
In addition, should I avoid ducks for some reason? I haven't come across any reasons... yet :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Duck is fabulous! It is completely different from turkey and chicken. I sorta consider it the dark meat of the bird world. I can't think of any reason not to feed it.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I feed duck necks on a regular basis and the dogs love them, nothing wrong with that variety!:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If I had access to reasonaby priced duck I would take full advantage of it!!! Can never go wrong with plenty of variety!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all replies guys!

Duck that I've found costs over three times the cheapest chicken cut, but being under $2 I think it's still worth the variety. I'll definitely keep that on the menu.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does your lab ever retrieve ducks during hunting?
She's only 7 months now, but hopefully she will in the future :smile:

Right now she associates food to fridge, her food bowl, and her crate so I'm not really worried about her ever eating stuff I would want her to retrieve. She's also way more retrieving oriented than food oriented so I'm not sure if she would even eat anything given to her during "fun time"; instinct to fetch just seems to kick in exclusively.

But we'll see. I believe that raw diet has no more effect on "eating while working" than is has on prey drive; no effect there either. And after all, I want to have her on the best possible diet although it would (which I highly doubt though) mean one duck eaten on it's way to me :wink:

Have you had problems w/ your dogs retrieving ducks?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I haven't given anytype of duck because I didn't want them to even think about chomping down or eating something they are suppose to bring in to me.

My labs also have a very strong retriever instinct and I don't think they would start eating but you never know.

Let me know how it works out for you:smile:

Cute pic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts