Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So along with whatever Large Breed Puppy kibble I am feeding, I am wondering what are some things I can add in with his kibble that won't mess too much with the calcium and phosphorus levels (and maybe protein too?).

With my Pointer I add in a spoon full or two of canned with her kibble. I usually feed her a grain free canned food that is a different meat source than the kibble that she is eating. Would adding in a spoonfull of this to the puppy's food be a bad thing to do?

I don't mind getting canned from time to time, but I am afraid that it may get expensive with now feeding two dogs (let alone one being a big growing puppy)....

What about adding in some "human" foods. A little bit of cottage cheese or plain yougurt (or would this mess with the calcium)? Any canned or cooked meats that would be beneficial (I would add in some raw meats from time to time, but have heard this could mess with digestion and don't want to cause any tummy upsets)? Any other ideas? Just want to give my new boy as much variety as I can.....I have a feeling he's gonna be one spoiled rotten boy....:rolleyes::biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If you're going to feed canned and kibble I don't see the harm in doing that at all in the same meal. When I used to feed kibble, I added all kinds of things like yogurt and people food to both Emmy and Bailey's diets and neither of them had issues, especially with growing. I always didn't feed these things with kibble, but in hindsight I'm not so sure I needed to do that since kibble stays in a dogs stomach at least 8-12 hours depending on the kibble and the dog.

I wouldn't worry about messing up anything considering you will be feeding primarily kibble and canned which is formulated accordingly. If you fed mostly scraps and cooked
meats, that wouldn't be complete nutrition by itself.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Check out: Wholistic Canine Complete for an addition. It is a natural whole foods supplement packed with natural (not synthetic) vitamins and minerals, a digestive enzyme, blood builder and detoxifier. It also adds protein and 59 calories per tablespoon.

www.wholisticpetorganics.com

Awesome product!

Reactions: luvMyBRT
1 - 3 of 3 Posts