Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what chew hooves are, but never given one to my dog. I've heard that they are good for teeth and it's a great workout for their jaw muscles? Are they edible though? :confused:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
When I worked with horses, a lot of the dogs liked chewing on the hoof trimmings, but they were pretty flexible compared to cows, but maybe because those are cooked/sterilized.

I also heard that some dogs have broken teeth after chewing on them and they are quite smelly.
Plus , theres recently been a recall of this particular brand:
Cow Hooves Recall - Pet Docs on Call

So, I would not use them.

I think deer antlers are better, but they also seem quite hard, I would be concerned about tooth breakage.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I have only heard that they are super stinky...I wouldn't use them just knowing what horses step in for most of their days LOL

If you want a good chew for your dog, get raw beef ribs. They don't have a whole lot of meat on them, what there is is good for your dog, and the bone part is substantial enough that they last and provide quite a good bit of marrow. They are not weight bearing bones, like most of the marrow bones on the market, so a cracked tooth is not something to worry about with rib bones. That is what we give our girls when we want them to chill out and chew something :biggrin:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Chew hooves are processed and have chemicals in them. Not good for any animal to eat. They are harder and more brittle after the processing than natural raw hooves.
Seriously!
how are they processed and have chemicals in them if bully sticks do not?
Or are you saying all of that is processed with chemicals in them.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Seriously!
how are they processed and have chemicals in them if bully sticks do not?
Or are you saying all of that is processed with chemicals in them.
I'm not sure about bully sticks but they look mightly processed to me. I never saw a bull looking like that. :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I'm not a fan of bully sticks. The dogs do love them, they just devour them and they don't last long enough for how expensive they are.

We still have 6 beef rib bones lying around from the rack we gave them last week :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts