Dog Food Chat banner

Dogs on the furniture?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious, what are the rules (if there are any) about dogs on the furniture in your house?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The dogs can get on whatever furniture they want in our house.
The exception is Champ, because I got him when I was living in my mom's house, and she did not allow dogs on the couch, so I respected her rule and trained him to stay off, and he's just always followed that rule, though if he were to jump up with us now, he would be in no "trouble."

ETA: I can't even fathom annie being banished from our bed. Princess needs her beauty sleep! lol

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My house is my dogs' house. They're my children, and if I'm going to let other children on my couches, and other people who don't live here on my couches, then my dogs, who DO live here, should be allowed on them as well. XD​

Reactions: jdatwood

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Looks like we are at 100% so far. Dogs are allowed anywhere they want!!
I said it before, the life of a dog is great! Especially when your pawrents are on THIS forum!! :biggrin:

Reactions: jdatwood

·
Registered
219 Posts
Being that Felix uses ME as furniture, and I'm allowed on the couch- then yes he is up there as well :)
Delilah is a good girl and "asks" or whines before jumping up though, usually... unless I'm alseep :tongue:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The girls are allowed wherever BUT they have to be respectful of that right. They must listen to us when we tell them to get off.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The girls are allowed wherever BUT they have to be respectful of that right. They must listen to us when we tell them to get off.
Ah, we have that rule too. Off means off.

I can not imagine watching tv or a movie and not having my dogs cuddled up on the couch with me.

In fact, the thought of a day without dogs is so depressing to me, I have no idea how people can do it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've taught Brady to "ask permission" to get on the furniture. He's only allowed up when I'm on it, and only if I say it's ok. I taught him to come and sit in front of me. If I want him up then I'll pat the couch and say "up" if not then I'll say "go" and that means to go lay down somewhere else.

So I guess it's kind of a 50/50 for this house. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Bailey and Akasha snuggle with us in bed, and under the covers every night. Its just a Dane thing LOL

The other two girls are not that cuddly and will come up for morning snuggles before we get out of bed!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bailey and Akasha snuggle with us in bed, and under the covers every night. Its just a Dane thing LOL

The other two girls are not that cuddly and will come up for morning snuggles before we get out of bed!
Annie is the same way. Has to have her head on he pillow, and tucked in. The others could care less about cuddles. Chesney doesn't even like to lay on blankets, and Grissom is too independent (erh. and arrogant) to submit himself to affection. lol

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Our dogs are allowed on any furnature EXCEPT the new couch and love seat in the living room (we don't go in the living room much) and they aren't allowed on the bed. They know about both the rules and there isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Aspen is allowed on anything, but he prefers my bed. Occasionally he will want to get on the couch, but gets off and prefers the floor or my bed. He too knows to get off when I say off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I got Showa I had a townhouse with just the two of us. I didn't have much furniture there...in the living room I had a sofa and an oversized arm chair, and the arm chair was his, and he could hop up on it whenever he wanted. He was rarely anywhere other than that chair unless he was eating or playing. lol He was allowed up on the sofa if I invited him up, and he would ask sometimes if he felt lonely, but knew not to hop up without me telling him to. Same with the bed, I would let him up, but he couldn't hop up as he pleased. Every night he'd sit and wait for me to get settled, then I'd invite him up and he'd hop up and lay with me for a few minutes, then get bored and hop back down. lol He knew the bed and the sofa were mine.

Our living situation has changed since then though, and I'm now in a house with a roommate where the only furniture that's mine is in my bedroom, and Showa's chair is in storage. I'll let him up on the bed every now and then, but other than that he knows not to get up on any furniture.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I'll be the first to post that my dogs aren't allowed on any furniture! :biggrin:

Having lived with a Rottweiler and a Pointer I got tired of having to sticky roll white hair off black clothes and black hair off white clothes when leaving the house. I also would get embarassed when guests would get up to leave and have dog hair all over their backs! LOL!

Needless to say, there are strategic dog beds placed all over the house and Lucky's kennel is complete with several blankets and pillows. I don't think she minds not being allowed on the furniture too much....:wink::biggrin:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Having lived with a Rottweiler and a Pointer I got tired of having to sticky roll white hair off black clothes and black hair off white clothes when leaving the house. I also would get embarassed when guests would get up to leave and have dog hair all over their backs! LOL!
I entirely see this point, and understand why some people don't allow pets on furniture because of it. We have a leather couch, which I hated at first, I'm really not a leather person, but now, with 4 dogs and a cat, it's a godsend.

I'm always covered in dog hair, anyway, from rolling all over the floor and wrestling with them, it makes no difference. lol.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
The dogs are always in the same room as I am, they follow me wherever I go so, if I'm in the T.V. room they are on each side of me on the covered couch, or if I'm in the computer room they are either in a crate with the door open or on the floor on a blanket. Bed time is on the bed beside me, Leo covered up like a baby with his head on a pillow and Cayenne so close to me I'm usually almost off the bed by morning. Kenzie stays in the crate at night because she's up and down up and down. Dogs are not allowed on the leather couch and chair in the living room but we never sit in there anyway.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts