Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was on the Alaskan Malamute forum, and this is what this lady said:

I am trying to find a vegetarian dog food for my Alaskan Malamute. I
don't think he likes Natural Balance.? He weighs 120 lbs. so cost is a factor. Any suggestions? Non-vegetarian IS NOT an option so DO NOT bother to try to recommend a non-vegetarian diet.

Any thoughts?

I respect other members and I didn't try to say otherwise. But, I coudn't help her because dogs are not vegetarians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I was on the Alaskan Malamute forum, and this is what this lady said:

I am trying to find a vegetarian dog food for my Alaskan Malamute. I
don't think he likes Natural Balance.? He weighs 120 lbs. so cost is a factor. Any suggestions? Non-vegetarian IS NOT an option so DO NOT bother to try to recommend a non-vegetarian diet.

Any thoughts?

I respect other members and I didn't try to say otherwise. But, I coudn't help her because dogs are not vegetarians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what does weighing 120 pounds have to do with cost wouldnt that make cost a big factor due to bigger appetite?
shes probably one of those fools whothinks human vegetarians are healthy too.

·
Banned
493 Posts
hey watch it. there are vegetarians on here. and YES we are healthy
But WE aren't carnivores:wink: It's completely different for a human to be on a vegetarian diet and a dog to be on one.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You should tell her to please, for the welfare of the animal, give her dog to someone who will feed it meat. She has no business owning a carnivore.

Can you imagine the outrage if you went on some horse or rabbit lovers forum and wrote, "Does anyone know of a meat-based horse/rabbit feed? Vegetarian feed IS NOT an option so DO NOT bother to try to recommend a vegetarian diet."

:wink:

Jay

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Annnd I totally believe humans need meat ...Sorry veg heads, LOL.
Let's stop attacking people's personal choices in the kibble section, shall we? there's already a thread for this in another part of the forum though it has more to do with getting information on the topic rather than insulting people.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Let's stop attacking people's personal choices in the kibble section, shall we? there's already a thread for this in another part of the forum though it has more to do with getting information on the topic rather than insulting people.
i agree. let's stick to talking about dogs. this is a dog forum you know. LOL.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Haha... I agree that a dog should have a diet consisting of meat (of course :rolleyes:), but I must say that that food's ingredients are definitely better then this:

Ground rice, soybean meal, cracked pearled barley, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, dehydrated carrots, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), garlic oil, minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), onion extract, garlic powder, rosemary extract.

A delicious Nature's Recipe variety made from rice, soy, barley, canola oil and a wee bit of carrot.....mmmmmmm...tasty. :tongue:

·
Banned
539 Posts
Is it funny a dog food company can produce such a lousy as this, but then also produce a fantastic food in Instinct. Makes ya kinda wonder if their is anything going on behind the scenes...... Like,,,, oops thats is not supose to go into that mix.

Just one of the reasons I feed 4 different brands.

·
Registered
52 Posts
what does weighing 120 pounds have to do with cost wouldnt that make cost a big factor due to bigger appetite?
shes probably one of those fools whothinks human vegetarians are healthy too.
Some of vegetarians are, if they have a great understanding how to compliment their diet with the items which can only be found in meat.
hey watch it. there are vegetarians on here. and YES we are healthy
Most people in general think this too. Until... :wink:
But WE aren't carnivores:wink: It's completely different for a human to be on a vegetarian diet and a dog to be on one.
Exactly!
But he said:

Thus implying that human vegetarians aren't healthy. I happen to think I'm very healthy thank you very much.
:smile:
You should tell her to please, for the welfare of the animal, give her dog to someone who will feed it meat. She has no business owning a carnivore.

Can you imagine the outrage if you went on some horse or rabbit lovers forum and wrote, "Does anyone know of a meat-based horse/rabbit feed? Vegetarian feed IS NOT an option so DO NOT bother to try to recommend a vegetarian diet."
Newton's third law of motion. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Some of vegetarians are, if they have a great understanding how to compliment their diet with the items which can only be found in meat.

Most people in general think this too. Until... :wink:
Well I'm sure your bacon-grease filled arteries and the beef rotting in your colon aren't doing you any favors, so again, let's keep the personal insults to a minimum and the thread on-topic, shall we?

Anyway, Germanshepherdlover, harrkim was actually displaying ingredients from Nature's Recipe, not Nature's Variety, just to clear that up :smile:

And it all looks pretty awful for carnivores.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
does the dog have a meat allergy??? I mean why in the world would a dog not need meat! That is just sad!:frown: I hope she's not realy going to do this to her dog! There are though veggie foods just for dogs! I wonder how the sales are going on them though! Ask her her reasoining for wanting the dog to be strickly on a veggie diet!
My daughter was vegan and vegeterian she actually said it was the best she ever felt!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I respect other member wishes but seeing that the mal is my favorite breed, I just have to say something because this really saddens me. Dogs need MEAT in their diet! A dog cannot thrive without meat. Unless your dog is allergic to meat, please, please provide it with such. Dogs were born as carnivores and should be treated that way. A dog with no meat in it's diet, will guaranteed have health deficiencies along the way. I am not trying to be mean here, just saying how carnivores should be fed.

This is what I'm planning on replying with. Any suggestions or is this OK?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts