Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our poo has been perfect for over a month now, since I last posted actually. Not a single incident of diarrhea and nice and firm stools for both. I've expanded their diet and they seem to have stomachs of steel now. Even with adding liver and heart, starting slow and working my way up I've tried mixing it in with ground beef and even got brave and split a beef heart between the 2 of them for a meal with no problem at all.

I decided to go to the Asian market to see what I could find as far as adding more offal, aside from the liver and came out with only kidney. I also got pork uterus and stomach but think these are both muscle, yes, no? They both hated the kidney and didn't even want to put it in their mouths. Jube moved it around for a second but Jordan snubbed his nose at it. I did as suggested, cut it up, sprinkled with a little garlic and seared it and hid it in their ground beef with some chicken gizzards, they ate it. BUT....I still smell urine. EVERYWHERE!!! I think next Im just going to hide a smaller amount of raw. I will never cook that stuff again.

I'm having a hard time finding other forms of offal besides the liver and kidney. Any ideas? We don't have a local co-op, at least not that I've found. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area. At my local Compare we do have tongue (meat?), and testicle (is this offal?) I do have to say that slicing into testicle doesn't appeal to me but after cooking kidney I'll do anything or is this something they could each have 1 without slicing up? I'd like to offer them more but don't know what to buy or where to find it.

A side note, during deer hunting season I'll be able to get more from my hunting friends. What do I ask them to save for me? Seeing my dogs don't know what to do with a whole hen I doubt they'll go for a whole deer head or know what to do with it. I'm begining to realize they are really wimpy dogs when it comes to cuts of meat.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The only organs they really need are liver and kidney. If you only feed liver, that is fine but I do suggest you get several different kinds of liver just for variety sake.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
My dogs won't touch the run of the mill kidney, too uriney smelling for them. If you can find some from a community local organic market get some hormone/antibiotic free kidney from lamb and beef, for some reason they don't smell the same, my dogs love the lamb kidney, I usually feed it half frozen. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I did find a raw feeding co-op listed for Charlotte NC on the yahoo groups, go to Yahoo groups and look up queen city BARF and join that group hopefully they can help with ideas and places to get product. It looks like it is an active group,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts