Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently become interested in making my own dog treats at home. Does anyone have much experience with this? I purchased an e-book with a lot of awesome recipes that my dog loves; it proved to be a lot more helpful and insightful than I thought it would be.

I have heard that there are some awesome peanut butter dog treats but unfortunately, the book didn't come with it.

Anyway, if anyone wants to exchange recipes or is interested in home made dog treats, let's chat!

Also, I was thinking of starting my own little line of dog treats. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
You should find a way to make a line of soft/chewy dog treats that don't have all of the crap in them that all the other ones do. If you could make one without any chemical/artificial preservatives, loads of sugar, artificial colors, etc. that would be awesome!

L

·
0 Posts
Gosh, the Internet is flooded with doggie treat recipes.

I cheat, however. Buddy Biscuits sells a "bake at home doggie treat mix" in a kit, complete with a bone-shaped cookie cutter. Peanut Butter and Molasses flavor. It's like baking brownies from a Betty Crocker box and enjoying them just as if they were made from scratch. I've only made the Buddy Biscuits treats once and my dogs liked them just fine. But I'm either too lazy or too busy to whip up treats from scratch. And I don't normally feed treats.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Buddy Biscuits is made by CloudStar - I LOVE them!! Okay - my dogs do, I don't really eat them. I get the already baked ones from the sale shop. They have "slightly damaged" but that only means that the box got mushed or the cookies are a little broken. They also have great training treats Tricky Trainers, that are made with liver.

As far as I can tell they're made with all good ingredients...and they have them available at PetCo if you don't want to order on line.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oatmeal Dog Treats

Try This Recipe made with Oatmeal!

Ingredients:
3 Cups Oatmeal, uncooked
1 1/2 Cups whole-wheat flour
1 Cup cold water
1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped
(All natural breath freshener) 2 Egg yolks
1 Teaspoon baking soda

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients together. Spoon onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Place on a cooling rack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have created my own recipe for chicken biscuits that my dogs just love.

7 cups Ground Chicken
4 Potatoes
3 Cups of Chicken Fat
5 cups natural chicken flavoring

Just mix the ingredients together and mold into whatever shape you like. I don't know the exact number it makes, but it makes enough treats to last all my dogs about 3-4 weeks. I usually bake for 45 minutes at 350. Also, I grate the potatoes using a cheese grater.

I also like to make chicken & turkey biscuits:

9 cups ground chicken
4 potatoes
3 cups ground turkey
2 cups ground fish (any type)
1 cup tomato pomace

Follow the same insructions, but these will last my dogs about 6 weeks and I bake for 1 hour at 350. Definately loved by my dogs! They are also low-fat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I make mine homemade treats all the time and they really like them.
There's a really easy recipe for beef liver treats you can try here:

The Four Little Munchkins: Bon Appetit!

I make these all the time and mine go nutty for them!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have the three dog bakery cook book which I have made several of therecipes from this book they love the salvatin" salmon alot haha! But I also dehydrate (yep the house stinks) beef liver cut really a bloody mess the dogs go up to the counter and try to get on it actually in the kitchen to get some of this smell they love this you can dehydrtae chicken liver which I have not done yet but I am going to I have only done the beef liver and this is a treat the dogs just love!:biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts