Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Jake somehow jumped up on top of the barrels that we put the barn cat's food on and ate the cat food... Now he has broken out all over with hotspots. Any ideas what would be in canned cat food but less in dog food that there would not cause such a strong reaction in canned dog food when they actually eat more of it?

(heavens, was that confusing enough?)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I don't think there is much difference in the ingredients of many cat/dog foods. Last time I looked at Orijen, I think the Cat and Dog formulas were nearly identical.

Funny, I know someone who swears her Dog growing up ate nothing but Cat food and lived to be 18 years old.

I'd start checking the ingredients to see if you can start tracking down something that he may have been allergic to. I don't think its inherently an issue because it was "cat" food.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My thoughts are that it wasn't the food at all rather something else that happened as approx the same time. Perhaps insects of some kind. Cat food shouldn't do something like that if dog foods don't. They are too much alike.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I have to figure out what else he got into.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thoughts are that it wasn't the food at all rather something else that happened as approx the same time. Perhaps insects of some kind. Cat food shouldn't do something like that if dog foods don't. They are too much alike.
The only thing I can think of that happened differently is the crop duster which sprays the field corn for weeds... (But they can't spray the sweet corn which is closer to the house because it would die.) As far as I know Jake hadn't gone near the field corn, but my husband did. Maybe it was on his clothes...

Anyway, after a bath and an apple cider vinegar rinse, Jake is much better!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts