Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I dehydrate the liver and other things in my dehydrater and thank goodness that liver smells so bad stinks up the whole house! I wonder how he had such a regular face with that smell haha! My face even if the breeze comes in the house from the liver is frowny haha!:frown: I hate that smell and I wont do it in the house haha!

·
Registered
127 Posts
haha, and i thought the freeze dried liver smelled bad, i could image what the dehydrated smells like

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made some other treats that were mostly liver and went through the food processor and they smelled very bad even before cooking. The whole house stunk once i cooked it. lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm going to be getting some beef liver tomorrow to put in my dehydrator. Do you all have any other suggestions for treats that would be good dehydrated?

·
Registered
160 Posts
No other suggestions?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I thought that is wasn't good to include a lot of potatoes to a dog's diet?

·
Registered
127 Posts
depends on the type of potato, i find the sweet potato and russet potato are ok. have you tried dehydrating lamb lungs, or tripe?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I haven't tried those yet. I'm going to call a local butcher and see if they have beef livers/hearts, and lamb lungs/hearts. What exactly is tripe?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
What exactly is tripe?
Basically cow stomach. It usually contains a bunch of partially digested grass, too.

Nearly all tripe that you can get from the regular grocery store has been bleached, rendering it useless as far as nutrients go.

You can buy it canned at a pet store. The brands I've heard of are Trippets and Merrick Before Grain. However, I've read that the BG one has undergone a change in recipe to make it more of a "complete" meal. Which means they threw a bunch of other crap in with the tripe.

A lot of people can get it from their raw meat co-op, too.

I'm not sure how you would go about dehydrating tripe... It's kinda like hamburger... Plus, it stinks like no other in its original form. I can't even imagine what it would smell like while being dehydrated!

Richelle

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I dehydrate also chicken breasts. I cut them length wise and very thin to make chicken jerky. They are healthy for the dog and a nice treat. you could do Turkey the breast also. depends on what you want to do. I have done chicken livers~ beef livers well any type of meat is ok to do that you give your dog. Like I said I like though to do it outside! oooohhhhh that smell hahahaha!

Now for us I have dehydrated fruit (such as apples with a sprinkling of cinnamon, bananas, strawberries, etc.)and made beef jerky that is marinated also like with teriyaki. My son loves this! Well so does my hubby!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the video Bessie....I made the liver today. No smell in the house and Grace LOVES it! Thanks again for the post.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok so I need some opinions. I called a local butcher today and he sells a "dog food" that consists of ground up beef parts (lungs, spleens, kidneys, lungs, hearts, livers, etc. but no brains) for $0.69 per pound and it comes in 10 and 20# bags. Is this a good deal?

I was thinking that if I buy a jerky maker I would dehydrate this stuff for treats. What do you all think?

·
Registered
160 Posts
No opinions?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
No opinions?
As a general rule, the "dog food" that is ground up by butchers is not very desirable. It's usually made up of a lot of fat and a lot of ground up bone and very little meat. However with the ingredients he says he has, it sounds good to feed as organ stuffs. It would be good to feed as organs. That means about 10% of the diet. The price is good. I would also feed some liver seperately. I would feed it in addition to occasional meals, not as meals themselves.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh, I wasn't going to feed it as actual food. I was thinking of dehydrating it for treats. Would this be good for making treats?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I wouldn't think that anything ground (like this sounds it is) would work well dehydrated...

Your prolly better off with whole chunks of meat and/or organs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts