Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you have issues with other human owners at dog parks?

Seems like everytime I go there is always someone who is over protective. Afraid to have their dog get dirty or whatever.

One of the worst I came across was some lady broke the rules of the park and brought people food inside. She hid it, but my dog happen to be near her when she decided to bring it out and start eating. My dog being a beggar around food decided to try his luck with her. He put his front paws on the bench seat and the lady slapped my dog...HARD. I didn't see it but my girlfriend did. She stormed over there and asked why she hit our dog. She told her that she should train her dog not to beg. Then my girlfriend told her that she was breaking the rules bringing in food. She didn't say a word and that was that.

Some other minor issues I have is people that pick up their dogs while the other dogs are trying to play or introduce themselves. Then they wonder why dogs jump up on them.

Any of you guys have some interesting stories about your local dog parks?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
A lot of dog parks are like that. About 4 years ago, we used to go to a different dog park and this lady didn't want Aspen playing with her dog because he was too big and going to hurt her dog. His growls were making the lady nervous. That's how dogs communicate. Well, we never went back to that one again. The dog park we go to now is about half hour away, but well worth it. The people at this one are really laid-back and they really understand dog behavior.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of dog parks are like that. About 4 years ago, we used to go to a different dog park and this lady didn't want Aspen playing with her dog because he was too big and going to hurt her dog. His growls were making the lady nervous. That's how dogs communicate. Well, we never went back to that one again. The dog park we go to now is about half hour away, but well worth it. The people at this one are really laid-back and they really understand dog behavior.
Yea, allot of people at the park are nervous. Following their dogs making sure no one messes with them. Some nervous dogs yelp when being chased or played with and some owners flip out like a fight broke out.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
A lady with small dogs was at the park one time. She was way over protective. My dogs went over to say hello and she acted like they were attacking her dogs. She proceeded to pick her yapping crazy dogs up to "protect" them further from all the nasty, aggressive dogs. But what she didn't realize that by doing so was inviting all the other dogs in the park to come investigate. Needless to say she got pummeled by a swarm of dogs. She was screaming her head off and throwing a fit. Which just made it worse. No one even got hurt except her...she fell on her a$$ in the commotion. What a joke...

I have a million more stories to tell. But I will say that i'm not a fan of dog parks anymore because of all the ignorant and crazy people out there. We only really go to open spaces now to let the dogs run. I personally think that dog parks are more damaging than benefitting to the dogs because of all the risks associated with them...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yea, allot of people at the park are nervous. Following their dogs making sure no one messes with them. Some nervous dogs yelp when being chased or played with and some owners flip out like a fight broke out.
Which one do you go to?

I go to the Yorba Dog Park in Orange.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which one do you go to?

I go to the Yorba Dog Park in Orange.
Upland Dog Park (I think it may be named Baldy View Park)

Most are laid back. There is usually only one person that usually has issues.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
One time last year Shiloh went over to say Hi to a dog and see if it wanted to play. The dogs owner proceeded to try kicking Shiloh. We ended up getting into a HUGE argument.

I'm not much of a fan of dog parks anymore either because too many owners have no clue about dog behavior and why their dogs react like they do.

Another time a couple brought a dog in that Shiloh wanted to play with. She was playing with the dog and accidentally "squeaked" the dog (small dog yelping in fear like normal). They proceeded to tell me that I was breaking the rules by bringing an aggressive dog to the dog park. We ended up in a big argument about dog behavior and the woman actually had the audacity to walk off and call the cops on us.

Dog parks are great in concept if it weren't for the terrible owners bringing their damaged dogs there

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
One time last year Shiloh went over to say Hi to a dog and see if it wanted to play. The dogs owner proceeded to try kicking Shiloh. We ended up getting into a HUGE argument.
Why did he try to kick her? Didi he think she was picking a fight or something?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
We've never taken Rocky to a dog park. We've had enough trouble 'smuggling' him in to campgrounds because he is a chow. We keep having to just say he is a mix breed which technically he is since he is half husky. Then we call him a Samoyed mix since he is white. :biggrin: As soon as other dog owners here he is a chow, they don't want him to play....even though he is the one that is scared of big dogs and only wants to play with the little ones. Big dogs always try to hump him and scare him half to death. He's such a wuss.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Ugh, dog parks, we still go there, but usually on the off days when theres couple people there.
My biggest pet peeve is the over paranoid owners, who freak out when the dogs play rough. They cannot tell a difference between a play and a fight and throw a huge fit, grab their dog and leave the park muttering something under the breath.
This one time I ran into a guy who kicked any dog that tried to hump his dog. To me thats just normal establishment of hierarchy, unless it becomes a constant thing to the point where the other dog is being harrassed, but I rarely seen it escalate to that point, dogs are well capable of solving small issues between themselves and some people just like to butt in and try to "resolve it". :rolleyes:

I do remember this one time, some idiot brought fast food and set up a picnic inside the dog bark! of course all the dogs circled around and started jumping on the table, needless to say, he didnt get a chance to enjoy his burger.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zeke loves the park though. So I try not to let the bad apples ruin the fun for him.

Sounds like all of you have similar stories. :redface:

·
Registered
853 Posts
I am soooo lucky. I always here of really bad dog park experiences and I've had nothing but good. Some weird owners, sure. But ya get weirdos everywhere, ya know? We have a really good dog park though, I think it's rated #2 in the country here in Annapolis. It's part of a state park so it's $40 for yearly pass, or $6 entrance every time. It's seperated by small/big dogs, which is great. All the dogs always have a great time, I've never really met a super overprotective owner.

There's a few 'first-timers' who will come in holding their dogs, and quickly realize that was the wrong thing to do, LOL. You can always tell the first-time dog park visitors because they either keep the dogs on a leash at first, or hold them, etc, but they get the gist really quickly. I also have met quite a few really good people there, the 'regulars' and I enjoy seeing them. Jackson has particular dogs that he really likes and enjoys seeing and gets excited when they come through the gate. I've never seen anyone leave their dog poop, and anytime a fight ensues, the owner always takes the fightstarter out of the dog park and is responsible about it. I've rarely seen a fight though, it's usually a little spat, and it happens rarely.

I love our dog park and with Jackson being my only dog, I couldn't survive without it. He needs it, he is such a doggy dog, and highly enjoys the company of other canines. I really don't know what we do without our dog park. We love it.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Yup. Not a fan of dog parks either. Too many untrained dogs with no manners and too many ignorant owners who don't know any better. It's a mess just waiting to happen. And, since I've owned large protective breeds (Rottie, BRT) I'd rather not put my dogs in a situation where they would be seen as the bad guy when they have done NOTHING wrong. Just my 2 cents! :biggrin:

L

·
0 Posts
Any of you have issues with other human owners at dog parks?
I always seem to have issues with the owners but never the dogs.

-- Owners that don't clean up after their dog because they're too busy socializing.

-- Owners that sit on a bench at the park for 3 hours (as I know some who do) and don't share the bench with others.

-- Owners who use the dog park to meet new friends, and just sit and chat while their dog is pooping or bullying.

-- Owners who think the rules don't apply to them: they smoke, bring food, bring intact male dogs, etc.

It's now a rare occasion that I find myself at a dog park. Sometimes if I go early in the morning, my dogs have the park to themselves.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Dog parks just aren't my thing. I love dogs. I can't say the same about MOST dogs owners. (I think pretty much everyone here is the exception to that. :wink:)

When I first got Grissom, and he was a little ball of corgi fluff, I took him and Champ to a dog park in Denver. (yeah, I don't follow the dont-let-them-out-of-the-house before 4 months "rule" and I wish others wouldn't either- hence their under-socialized issue dogs!) Champ is an EXCELLENT communicator with other dogs, but he does play pretty rough, and he's SUPER growly when he plays, but despite the noise, everything about his body language, is just a big 90lb wiggly invitation for everyone to play!

About 20 minutes after we arrived, my ex and I were just sitting chatting, while the dogs played, but still keeping an eye on them. This stupid woman with three little yappy dogs came in, and my dogs were too involved with each other to even notice her. (she was the type that I could smell her perfume from 5 feet away, wore BRIGHT pink heels, and a pink flowered sun hat. to a DOG PARK) She started screaming and waving her arms around, "WHOSE GERMAN SHEPHERD IS THAT?! HE'S GOING TO KILL THAT LITTLE SHELTIE!!!"

*facepalm*

"Uhhhh... actually, that's my German Shepherd, and that's my CORGI... and no one is killing anyone, they're playing."

She got all huffy about how I know nothing and how dare I expose this poor sheltie puppy to this big aggressive beast, and how I ought to be ashamed of myself for bringing him around the public.

And yet, she continued to call my CORGI puppy and Sheltie. . :rolleyes:

We were annoyed so we just leashed up and left. As we were leaving the gate, one of her yorkies attacked one of her little white fluffy dogs.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Ugh, luckily I haven't had any bad experiences. I rarely go to them though. Now where I live in PA, there's a great one about 15 minutes down the road that I've brought Abbie to a few times. It's a bit more foresty than other dog parks.

Instead of just a big open space, it's a big open space with grass, trees (mini forest), trails, benches, etc. I think it's a little more fun and makes it a little more laid back so dogs don't have to always see one another, they can go off and explore and join the group again when they feel like it. Abbie LOVES it there, and since she's naturally a shy dog, it just makes me so happy to see her having a blast, running through the trails, and playing with other dogs. Since she's mostly hound and likes to use her nose, I'm fearful about ever letting her off leash in an unfenced area. I'm sure I could do more training on the recall, and I will continue to do so in the future, but I like having this huge forest that is fenced in LOL.

The one that I brought my boxer to back home was decent too, though it seemed a little busier. The only issue I ever had (and it wasn't really much of an issue) was that a dobie was playing with my boxer a little *too* rough. I don't mind it, he plays rough as well, the only issue was that the dobie was tugging on his extra boxer skin allllll over his body and he had welts all over his body lol. He didn't mind either, I just didn't wanna have to explain to my mom why our dog looked like he had been stung all over by a swarm of bees hehe.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
the dobie was tugging on his extra boxer skin allllll over his body and he had welts all over his body lol. He didn't mind either, I just didn't wanna have to explain to my mom why our dog looked like he had been stung all over by a swarm of bees hehe.
HAHA, I know EXACTLY how that goes. Annie's "boyfriend" in daycare is a huuuge Cane Corso, and her neck and legs are kind of a series of little nics and even some little scars. I swear one of these days someone will accuse me of fighting her or something.
She doesn't mind at all, and she has Gus (the Cane Corso) play alllll day, super rough, an have an absolute blast. BUT, I'm starting to want to separate them because I don't want my poor Boxer looking like a fighting dog. They're SO sensitive!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The breeder I got Teaghan from is in Stevensville, my sister lives in Stevensville. I picked her up on a Friday night at 8 weeks, took her to an agility trial in Stevensville the next day so all her agility aunties and uncles could play "pass the puppy"
She was at trials all summer while I took pictures..., either there or at the dogpark. She's well socialized.:)

Oh btw, back on topic. I don't know if it's small town people or what, but at our dogpark in Whitefish, pretty much everyone is quite dog savvy...

(yeah, I don't follow the dont-let-them-out-of-the-house before 4 months "rule" and I wish others wouldn't either- hence their under-socialized issue dogs!)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts