Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just joined because I am looking for a better grade of dog food for my baby. She is a Mini Schnauzer. She is 1 1/2 yr old. I am feeding her Beneful.I have tried Natural Balance and she really doesn't care for it. She has tried Science Diet Nature's best and doesn't care for it eithers. The vet asked me why I wanted to change her diet and I said because I feel that there are better quality foods out there for her. Her breed is prone to pancratits(sp) and I would like to prevent that if possible. I thought about try Blue Buffalo longevity. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks
CHelle :smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you've definately come to the right place. I'm sure by now you know that vets are usually terrible sources for canine nutrition!

I recommend any of the following if you are set on sticking with kibble. (there are other more natural ways of feeding, if you're interested)

Orijen
Evo
Wellness CORE
Nature's Variety Instinct
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Acana
Merrick B. G.

Canidae Grain Free ALS
Wellness
Innova
Taste of the Wild
Nature's Variety Praire
Merrick

When cost is a big issue:
Canidae ALS
Kirkland Signature
Healthwise
California Natural

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Reactions: chelle

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Here are some great brands of dog food:
Wellness
WELLNESS® - Healthy Dog and Cat Food
Taste Of The Wild
Taste of the Wild : Home
Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul : Home
EVO
http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.aspInnova
Blue Buffalo
Blue Buffalo — Discover the Best Dog Food and Cat Foods with our Pet Food Comparison Tools
Diamond NATURALS
Natural Ingredient Pet Foods | Diamond Pet Foods
Halo
Natural Pet Care Products from Halo
Solid Gold
Solid Gold Health Products for Pets - Home
Flint River Ranch
Flint River Ranch Super Premium Cat Food and Dog Food
Orijen
Orijen
Natural Balance
http://naturalbalanceinc.com/
Merrick
Merrick Pet Foods : merrickpetcare.com
California Natural
http://naturapet.com/brands/california-natural
Kirkland
Kirkland dog food
Fromm
Fromm Family Foods - Gourmet Pet Food, Naturally Holistic
ZiwiPeak
Natural Range Of Premium Pet-food Products - Ziwipeak - Natural New Zealand Pet Nutrition
Healthwise
HealthWise Natural Pet Food – The First Step in Healthy Dog & Cat Food - Natura Pet Products
Nature's Variety
Nature's Variety
Wysong
Holistic, Natural Dog Food, Raw Dog Food, Cat Food, Pet Food, Ferret Food, Cat & Dog Supplements
Canidae
Dog Food: All Natural, High Quality, Holistic Pet Food. Dog Foods, Cat Foods, Dog Biscuits
Drs. Foster & Smith
Cat & Dog Food Info Center: Drs. Foster & Smith Dog Food & Cat Food

If you are open to other forms of feeding.. you might want to check out raw feeding. Just a suggestion.
Rawfeederrs Rock! - Home
Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!
You have definitely come to the right place to learn about various foods.
In fact, there is so much info on here, from soo many knowledgeable people, make sure you don't get information overload!! :eek:
Can't wait to see pictures of your furkid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello welcome! :biggrin:
You've got a really pretty schnauzer over there.
Well, I cant give you much advice on food, cause I myself am new to all these food nutrition. Currently Im switching her over to Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken puppy dog food, and my dog loves it, but I was thinking of switching to grain free after.
You can find lots of information here, and sometimes it really blows your mind. So good luck with finding what you need!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am now getting her to eat Blue buffalo. My only concern is it contains Garic. Anyone have and suggestion about that? I read somewhere that garlic is toxic for dogs. Once again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am now getting her to eat Blue buffalo. My only concern is it contains Garic. Anyone have and suggestion about that? I read somewhere that garlic is toxic for dogs. Once again thanks for the help.
Most likely the level of garlic in the dog food isn't nearly enough to cause any type of damage....or they would be recalling the food! I'm sure she is safe to eat it.

We have given our dogs garlic when feeding organ meats since they don't like them, and have never had an issue.

I would think that she would have to eat an entire head of raw garlic to get ill!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know that a lot of people give horses garlic in their feed to help keep flies away and from biting them. It works wonderfully... I bet it might have the same effect on dogs in small amounts.

Edit: I found a pretty interesting article, I'm not sure how credible it is but it seems like a pretty good source. http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/garlic-for-dogs.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts