Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have joined this forum to learn more about what to feed my golden retriever. I have a 4yr. Old and a 10 week old. Have been using 4health and I am not sure I want to start the puppy on that. What is the best dog food?

·
Registered
778 Posts
this will probably turn into a 98 page thread. there is no ONE perfect dog food. what is perfect is what works for your dog. i look for a company without recalls, and good ingredients. after that, it's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
this will probably turn into a 98 page thread. there is no ONE perfect dog food. what is perfect is what works for your dog. i look for a company without recalls, and good ingredients. after that, it's a crap shoot.
How long is a piece of string? agree with Bett. And what you could do is look through some old threads on here and see what other people have to say and how a particular food has worked for them. You might however need a few hours but I think you will find it worthwhile.

·
Registered
684 Posts
There are many good foods out there. Since you have an adult and a puppy, look for an "All Life Stages" kibble so both dogs can eat the same one. Here's a link to help wade through the myriad of available kibbles out there: Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor. Look for a kibble that is a minimum of 4 stars.

One of the kibble dealers in my town says that a large golden breeder in the area feeds all of her bitches and puppies Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato. It's not grain free, but the only grain it contains is steel cut oats, which is pretty healthy. Here's a website for Acana: About Acana | Acana You can go on their dealer locator to find a provider near you, or you can order online. I like Chewy.com.

Another popular kibble is Fromm. Here's their website: Fromm Family Foods Gourmet Dog & Cat Food, Naturally Holistic.

You'll see many other good kibbles on dogfoodadvisor.com. You'll need to see which kibble works for your dogs; it may take a few tries to find "the right one" b/c every dog is different. If you're on a grocery store kibble right now, transition slowly, to avoid digestive upset (10-14 day; longer for a dog with a sensitive stomach).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It really does just depend on each dog. Generally, the premium brand dog foods are a bit better for dogs and help them to stay healthier. Just see how your dog does on the food.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like everyone else said it really depends on the dog
for example: I switched from TOTW pacific stream to Orijen six fish. On paper Orijen is amazing, everything I would want in a kibble, but my dog didn't do well on it. So I went back to TOTW.
Visit the links that Georgiapeach sent, dogfoodadvisor is a really great site, and will help to narrow down your choices.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hello everyone, I have joined this forum to learn more about what to feed my golden retriever. I have a 4yr. Old and a 10 week old. Have been using 4health and I am not sure I want to start the puppy on that. What is the best dog food?
Do your dog's have any allergies or sensitivites? How are they doing on the current food?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts