Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. Acana suggested I come to this forum and share a question I proposed to them in the hope of getting some good info from some of you. We have three rescue Greyhounds and two Pembroke Corgis, most middle age. We recently switched from feeding EVO, a 42% protein human grade dog food, to ACANA Wild Prairie chicken and fish, a 33% protein food. I asked them if we could add shredded beef to the mix. Ordinarily, they are digested faster than the kibble, but since ACANA is grain and corn-free, I thought it would be OK, and they agreed. So, my question to you is if you have experience combining the kibble and the raw, if so, what proportions and what is your experience? Since going onto EVO and ACANA, the stools are "neater" and fewer, less poops in the pack-gathering, and one corgi had butt traces before and none now. We are in central Oregon and it is cold now that Winter is here, so the dogs are inside more than outside, and the couch potatoes are spending more time reclining. Anyhow, would appreciate your advice. Thanks
Joanne

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome, Joanne. I used to have a female brindle Greyhound, my very first rescue. She has since passed but now I have 3 rescued dogs. I feed all of my dogs ACANA grain-free, rotating between the lamb (Grasslands) and the chicken (prairie harvest). I have seen excellent results from ACANA grain-free, in fact much better results in my dogs' overall health in comparison to other brands of quality kibble.

As for raw ... I don't feed raw but I do offer slightly cooked meat as a snack or training treat. And I have some dehydrated raw meat chunks for when we are on the road. I feed the dry kibble and the meat separately.

Good to have you here, Joanne.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would recommend not feeding the raw and kibble together. Even tho the formula you feed is grain free, it still is heavy on the carbs. Potatoes are either the 2nd or 3rd ingredient (don't remember), which means that its still full of carbs that will digest at a slower rate than the raw meat that you would add to it. Feed one in the morning and one at night.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi. I just joined too. I just recently (a few minutes ago) bought Acana Wild Prairie for my malamute. I've heard it's great food. I like the Glucosamine and Chondroitin levels in it. There's nothing bad in it. And also the fact that it's grain free. Wolves do not eat grains in the wild.

I don't feed my dog raw. He eats 1 cup of Acana in the morning for breakfast, and 1 cup of Acana in the evening for dinner. On top of the Acana in the evening, he gets about 1 1/2 cups of catfish, broccoli and carrots. With some cod liver oil and synovi G3 equine too. The reason it's kind of raw (I think) is because I don't add any spices or anything to the fish or veggies. The reason it's not raw is because I boil the fish in water for 1/2 hour. He's doing marvelous on the fish and veggies I add to his dry food. Hope this helps! Here's his picture...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
If you're concerned about feeding the raw with the kibble, you could either feed a meal of raw for one meal and kibble for the other meal (about 12 hours apart), though I know of people who feed both at the same time with no problems. Or you could lightly cook the meat and then add it to the food, then there should be no problem at all but the meat won't be as good for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts