Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After finding this forum and researching all the dog foods available I decided on EVO the ancestral diet kibble with EVO can mix in morning. I have a five year old Rottweiler and a seven month old bullboxer and they both love it. After boarding them this weekend the person who does the boarding stated to my wife that she thought the EVO was to high in protien for my rottweiler and could be fatal because of the high protein with her kidneys. So now my wife is all worried. None of my dogs have any sort of kidney problems so should I change dog foods to lower protien or should my person who boards and thinks she knows everything just keep her opinions to herself?

Thanks

tpdtopcop

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
After boarding them this weekend the person who does the boarding stated to my wife that she thought the EVO was to high in protien for my rottweiler and could be fatal because of the high protein with her kidneys.
Obviously the person you board your dogs with is not an expert in canine nutrition. High protein diets have nothing to do with kidney problems. It was once thought it did after research on mice but the data didn't cross over to dogs. Mice are omnivores and dogs are carnivores.

So now my wife is all worried.
Tell her not to worry. Dogs are designed to eat A LOT of protein.

None of my dogs have any sort of kidney problems so should I change dog foods to lower protien or should my person who boards and thinks she knows everything just keep her opinions to herself?
She can give her opinion but just let it pass in one ear and out the other. :smile:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Its cute when I hear about high protien levels and kidney problems~THIS IS ABSOLUTLEY FALSE! Their is nothing to be afraid of in high protien dog foods!
Grains= carbohydrates which turn into fat so EVO grainless is just a great great food high in protien 52% and very good for dogs!
Please print out this article and have your wife read this! She will sleep better knowing that protien is really good! Feeding high protien EVO is a good thing!

Focusing On Protein - Nutrition Related - ThePetCenter.com - The Internet Animal Hospital

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I'm also under the impression that it is more glutens (vegetable-based proteins) which are a big culprit of kidney problems in dogs and cats since their kidneys are designed to digest animal-based proteins. So when you feed them a lot of glutens, their kidneys have to work twice as hard to process them, so they wear out twice as fast. That's just my understanding of it, though. And obviously this seems to affect some pets more than others.

And since EVO is pretty much gluten free, this is not a problem for you. You just don't feed as much Evo as you would a regular kibble since it is higher fat and protein and denser nutrients, so dogs and cats don't need to eat as much of it to stay full.

Also, as RFD said, these studies were done on rats, who don't eat a lot of protein to begin with, so of course they're going to go into renal failure when fed too much protein.

I think if you get an opportunity, you should try to educate this person next time you get the chance. Could be fun, and I always encourage healthy debate and education.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts