Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I can't really give advice on a brand, as I feed raw not kibble. But do keep in mind, as far as the AAFCO goes, they "approve" everything from Ol'Roy to the high end foods. Once you get some advice on different brands, you may go through several before you find one that works for your dog. Because a food is high end and gets good reviews for others dogs, doesn't necessarily mean it will be great for yours.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
They would wander off if they aren't contained in some way, like a fenced yard or leashed. We have an intact male and female together in our house. He is very calm and obedient. Almost gentlemen like. Along with our fenced yard, and alternating outside times, and him not in the bedroom with us at night, it's worked just fine. As long as you are responsible about containment it's fine.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Hi Lucas,
As long as you are trying out foods and doing your research, try VeRUS. It's the kind of dog food you can feed throughout your dog's life - changing from formula to formula as needed without worrying about long transition times, etc. These people stay on top of nutritional requirements AND they've never had a recall in almost 30 years. There aren't a whole lot of dog foods that can say that! Another plus is that if you have questions, you can email them and ask & they'll answer you very quickly. Go to their webpage (veruspetfoods.com) look around, and fill out the contact form. They'll email you back, find some stuff out about your dog (like concerns you may have), address them and send you free samples. I'm big on the free samples because no matter how many dollar-off coupons a company sends you, you still end up with a bag of food if it doesn't work out well for your dog. VeRUS doesn't send coupons, they send actual food.
I have a 12 y-o Golden and a 7 y-o mutt that have been eating this food for well over a year and they are happy, healthy, enthusiastic consumers of this dog food. While caring for my mom's dog (mutt of undetermined age), I've see her goopy eyes get better and she poops more efficiently (less often but better poops). It's really good food

Also, on the fixed or not subject - ask your vet about possible consequences of NOT neutering. I've had friends whose dogs developed issues. Also, there's always the risk of unwanted puppies. If you aren't going to breed, there's no reason to not neuter.
Actually, there are WAY MORE reasons to NOT fix them, male or female. If the situation will let you, it's really best for there health not to, and leave them intact. Just a few reasons:

a host of different tumers
bone and prostate cancers
cushings disease
dysplasia
UTI
spay incontinance

and Im sure probably more than that, but those are just some health problems with a fixed dog. There are more cons than pros.

Reactions: InkedMarie

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I can tell you I have never ever seen or heard anyone say their dog has BECOME aggressive after neutering. I have read it, but I personally don't believe it. I will say, from personal first hand experience with one of ours we have now, Shadow. We had planned on leaving him intact, but the older he got the more aggressive he became. He was randomly jumping on and fighting all of our other dogs, even females. We had been bitten more than I can even remember separating them. This was happening on average three times a day, then some aggression was starting to be shown towards us at random times. By now he was three years old, and we decided to give him one chance by neutering him to see if it help tone him down. If not we were going to have him euthanized. It took a month to see a change, but ever since he has gotten better and better. It's been almost a year, and he is a different dog. Still has some "growly" moments, but no more unpredictable attacks. Literally, it was a life saver.

If of as many dogs went the other way and became as aggressive after neutering as has been mentioned, there would be a lot of mean dogs out there! Neutering is done every day and this just isn't a common thing.

Now, are there health benefits to leaving them if possible? Absolutely! The benefits outweigh the negatives by far. You can google all the benefits to leaving them, so if you are able, and your dog is manageable I would leave him.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Over the years of working around dogs, primarily working for vets I have seen as many intact dogs act that way as I have neutered ones, so I still can't say there is one or the other connected to neutering or not. I've only read it on the internet, no real evidence. Maybe there's a real connection, maybe not. But I'm not convinced of that.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I'm still not buying it. That's no different from anything else I have read, it means nothing to me. In 44 years, I have never seen a neutered dog act this way because of neutering. Ever. The only change I have ever seen is in the one we have now. It saved him from being euthanized. Thats my only experience in behavior change, so.....

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I have no doubt that there has been "scientific research" done, but none of it was done on any of my dogs, or any I have ever known. Do I think it's impossible to happen? No, it probably could but it's not a real common occurrence. All the "research" I need is what I have seen with my own eyes, also over a 40 year period. Agreeing to disagree at this point..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.