Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old Boston girl.. She has the worst GAS. I am on a Boston Terrier forum and I posted about her smellie anal glands and her gas.. Most of the response has been about having her vet. checked and the dog food that I am feeding her..
I have had her anal glands checked by my vet. and they are ok. I am currently feeding Taste of the Wild.. Can anyone post on food that they think would help her. I am currently moistening her food to soft consistency.. One reply told me about a site that stated to lower protien for gasie dog???

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Have you tried any other foods? There isn't a "gas-busting" food on the market, but different foods settle differently with different dogs, so you could try another high quality kibble and see if it's any better.
Another thing to consider, is some breeds are more prone to being gassey, and you have one of those breeds. Smushy face dogs are all more likely to be gas bags. Boxers, Bostons, Frenchies, Bulldogs, etc. No matter what I feed my Boxer, she has gas. more or less depending on what I feed her, but nothing cuts it entirely.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ah...I know your pain all too well. lol

My guy, Brady, used to have very bad gas and still does from time to time. It's all going to be in what you feed her. And keep in mind that the treats matter too. I also recommend tinkering with her food though. It's like an on-going experiment to see what does the best. I'm currently starting mine on a raw diet to see how that fairs, but the best thing I found before that was Wellness Core. So for me, at least, the low protein diet didn't cut it. I also found most fish based recipes to be beneficial as well.

Like CorgiPaws said, it will most likely never FULLY go away. All the brachycephalic breeds swallow air while eating, therefore causing some amount of gas. Pair that with breeds that are known for sensitive stomachs and you've got a ticking time bomb on your hands. :biggrin:

·
Registered
99 Posts
A very close friend of mine has an English Bulldog and he has gas A LOT! She said that there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it, because of the way these dogs swallow so much air. Not just when they are eating, but in general. The type of food isn't really to blame, it is the conformation of the jaw and nose. They can't help it! :frown:

·
Registered
469 Posts
i have heard it was a bracasiphalic (sp) dog thing to have gas issues. I dont know how true that is.

i would suggest trying a dif food. maybe this one just isnt agreeing with her belly

·
Registered
68 Posts
We have had bad gas issues with all foods we've tried made by or processed by Diamond, including Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Chicken Soup, Kirkland's, Canidae, and even Solid Gold. I have not tried Taste of the Wild since no other "Diamond" food has worked out.

We feed Nature's Variety and have been pretty happy with it. In fact we have very little gas problems on Nature's Variety. And Nature's Variety is a good for all life stages food too. We feed it to all our dogs, from our 4 month old Maltese to our 8 year old Yellow Lab.

Nothing worse than dogs with horrible gas. :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gas in dogs

I have a 10 month old Boston girl.. She has the worst GAS. I am on a Boston Terrier forum and I posted about her smellie anal glands and her gas.. Most of the response has been about having her vet. checked and the dog food that I am feeding her..
I have had her anal glands checked by my vet. and they are ok. I am currently feeding Taste of the Wild.. Can anyone post on food that they think would help her. I am currently moistening her food to soft consistency.. One reply told me about a site that stated to lower protien for gasie dog???
The higher the protein in dog foods the more gas you will have. Taste of the Wild is a grain free dog food and it sounds as though your dog cannot digest the protein amounts. I would suggest going to a lower protein food. During your search in Alabama for this you might want to use your computer to look at who manufacturers the foods you are looking at. Taste of the Wild is made at Diamond Pet Foods This plant has more law suits of killing dogs than any other pet food manufacturer out there. Take a look at Precise Pet Foods. They have never been recalled and use NO china ingredients

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The higher the protein in dog foods the more gas you will have.
I don't think the higher the protein the higher the gas. When Aspen was on EVO Turkey and Chicken at 42%, he HARDLY had gas at all. Some breeds are more gasier than others. And Boston's are definitely one of them. I also think that if there's a digestive issue going on, then that could contribute to the gas.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
The higher the protein in dog foods the more gas you will have. Taste of the Wild is a grain free dog food and it sounds as though your dog cannot digest the protein amounts. I would suggest going to a lower protein food. During your search in Alabama for this you might want to use your computer to look at who manufacturers the foods you are looking at. Taste of the Wild is made at Diamond Pet Foods This plant has more law suits of killing dogs than any other pet food manufacturer out there. Take a look at Precise Pet Foods. They have never been recalled and use NO china ingredients
I'm not sure where to start with this... other than I don't agree at all.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Okay, so I started a bad trend of simple I disagree posts, so I will try to explain.

The higher the protein in dog foods the more gas you will have.
What is your cource for this information? Canines, being carnivores, thrive off of animal based protein.

Taste of the Wild is a grain free dog food and it sounds as though your dog cannot digest the protein amounts.
Plant matter is what dogs can't digest, grains at the top of that list. Grain free foods tend to be more digestable because they don't include the impossible-to-digest grains in the food. The more meat content there is in a kibble, the more digestable it is.

Take a look at Precise Pet Foods. They have never been recalled and use NO china ingredients
I'm going to check them out and I will list things in the order I notice them.
Chicken, veggies, flowers, and grain are spotlighted on the main page. The only useful of those four is chicken.
Looking at the ingredients of the chicken and rice formula, after taking into consideration they have been spliced, it is more grain heavy than anything else. Other formulas are also more grain heavy than a dog food should be.

I'm curious as to why you recommend this product?

·
Banned
539 Posts
Just where do you people get your info? This is so untrue. I was just at a site that had the 15 biggest recalls and dogs that were killed. Sure wish I had kept the link, but here is another with a list and I do not even see Diamond even having any recalls. And scoopes has TOTW RATED AS ONE OF THE TOP FOODS MADE.

Dog Food Recalls

http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/dogfoodrecall.html

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
They had to be talking about Nutro!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Two common causes of gas are gulping food, thus swallowing air and over feeding. If your dog gulps his food, try putting a brick or stone in the bowl so that he has to eat around it or get a dish with a raised center. If you are over feeding (and I think at least half of dog owners do) cut back a little. The amount recommended on the bag is often too much. You also have to consider treats. Some of them are over a hundred calories each. That is equal to about 1/4 cup of many foods.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing, dogs like bulldogs due to their anatomy tend to gulp in a lot of air when eating which results in rather unpleasant flatuation. You could try one of those slow feed bowls, also soaking the kibble will help. I also reccomend adding an enzyme supplement to aid digestion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just started feeding my boston pup Orijen and Acana, I've mix all the flavors except the fish ones cause he simply won't eat fish. He is gassy, but it doesn't smell as bad as it use to on grain foods. I give him a couple teaspoons of organic, plain, non-fat yogurt daily and it helps, cause when he doesn't eat yogurt he farts more.
He also has Stenotic Nares Stenotic nares - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which could be contributing to his gas since is causes him to swallow more air when he eats. He will have surgery in a few months and maybe that will reduce the gas a little.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I always added probiotics to my dogs kibble. Works like the yogurt just more concentrated. They come in gelcap form which can be sprinkled over the kibble or liquid which can be poured on. The probiotics not only boost their digestion ability, but it helps to boost their immune system too.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts