Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a piece of logic that escapes me. People feed their dog a brand of dog food and the dogs gets diarrhea. They then switch the dog to chicken and rice or just chicken and the stools firm up. Then they switch the dog back to dog food and the diarrhea returns. Then back to the chicken and rice and the diarrhea disappears again. Why would one try to put their dog back on kibble again? Isn't it obvious that the chicken is better for their digestive system? Isn't it obvious that dog food makes them sick?

This is not directed at anyone in particular. Most everyone does this. And y'all know me, I would never start a controversy. :smile:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since you have described my situation I assume your post is directed at me

I'm not sure why you didn't just post as a response to me in that thread, but whatever.

Here is my reasoning: I think high-quality kibble is fine and that it takes some trial and error to find the right kibble. I indeed went from dog food to chicken & rice, then back to dog food again only to find that the diarrhea returned. So yes, no logic there as the return to the original (reasonably high-quality) kibble re-created the problem.

Therefore I am looking for a different kibble, one that will work for my dog. That is indeed logical. There are lots of kibbles that dogs eat that do not cause diarrhea. Your post OTOH seems to suggest that kibble = diarrhea, which just isn't true.

I posted on this board (dry and canned food) and not the raw food board because I have no interest in feeding my dog raw food.

Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure why you didn't just post as a response to me in that thread, but whatever.
I didn't post in your thread because this inquiry isn't directed only at you. I have seen many many times on many lists instances where kibble feeders have done this.

Does that answer your question?
It was pretty much what I expected.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
RFD, I have been trying to get a co-worker to come to this forum for I don't know how long, she bought a very expensive eng. mastiff, and has had nothing but problems with dog food issues, he was out one day and decided to eat some moss:rolleyes:, since then it's been diarrhea, back and forth to the vet, chicken and rice, then; as soon as they take him off, and back to dog food the diarrhea comes back:frown:, she now has him on the vet recommended Hills,:eek: I've given her all the copies of literature about the crap and begged her to go on the website. Finally I told her he wouldn't have eaten the moss if he was getting what he needed in the first place, and he should probably be on raw food.:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
But let's talk about my own experience, my female bull terrier as a puppy had the worst time with any dog food, poor thing as I think about it now. Constant diarrhea no matter what type of food she was on. Have to say that the only food she did well on was the Hills, but she stopped that herself, she didn't like dog food that well at all, I had to mix stuff, mostly cooked thighs and juice to get her to eat. I had so many trips to the vet, I call her my 10,000 dog. As soon as I switched her to raw food, there was no looking back, no coaxing her to eat. SHE LOVES TO EAT............................and no more diarrhea.

L

·
0 Posts
.....Then back to the chicken and rice and the diarrhea disappears again. Why would one try to put their dog back on kibble again? Isn't it obvious that the chicken is better for their digestive system? Isn't it obvious that dog food makes them sick?
The only answers to this question that I can think of: (1) the human is too lazy to cook for their dog daily; and (2) the human does not want to feed raw.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's interesting that most of the responses so far are from people who feed raw. #1. I don't want to feed raw, not sure if I will or won't in the future and #2 I'm far from lazy but don't want to cook or package raw for my dogs either. I prefer giving them kibble at this point. I believe it's quicker, cleaner and easier and fits into my lifestyle. However, I do try to give all of my animals the highest quality kibble as opposed to the "crap" kibble. Even my cats are on Wellness.

I like this forum and the answers and the "debates" that go on. But, I must confess, I am totally confused by the "them" vs "us" mentality. (raw feeders vs. kibble feeders). What's up with that?

Oh, yeah, sometimes an animal gets diarrhea and it has nothing to do w/their food choice either. I've had this happen to my dogs and did the chicken and rice thing too to clear up their diarrhea.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
People are creatures of habit! we do one thing and then undo that one thing and then try to redo that one thing! We usually do what we feel is right and try to do our best at it with the knowledge we have given to us written right their in black and white!
I am not a raw feeder ~I have many concerns with this and not enough experience to go there () I am not comfortable to be able to make the proper decisions about raw feeding as yet) ~ have not read into it enough. So, I feed my dogs all premium line foods :smile:and yep I do in the evening give them canned with their dry. I though have to say I have no probelms with their pooping issues (YEAH):biggrin:.
I have had dogs throw up, poop in the house (boo yuck) my fault for this for probably not letting them out in time or at the right time the night before but this turely is rare!Knock on wood this has not happened in the past gosh 4 months (I am right now Knocking on the desk which is wood haha)
I am happy with what I give them~ currently on EVO, Merrick BG, Wellness weight control CORE and wellness weight control superfive mix. Also do the fate free or low fat vanilla yogurt and high quality treats! Oh the canned I have right now Evangers.
But like I say folks just try there best when doing what they think is right for their pups. I know I try to! Jeez before I started to figure out what the heck was right I feed them SD (YUCK) so I feel I have a come a long way! But as for making mistakes I have to admit I have done my share for sure!:redface:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like this forum and the answers and the "debates" that go on. But, I must confess, I am totally confused by the "them" vs "us" mentality. (raw feeders vs. kibble feeders). What's up with that?
I've been on 8 or 10 discussion lists and it's like that on all of them that discuss diet. I honestly think its the kibble feeders getting their feelings hurt and/or feeling guilty for feeding their dogs such crummy food. Raw feeders talk about how healthy their dogs are and how good their teeth and coats look and what garbage is in kibble and the kibble feeders just withdraw among themselves and don't want raw feeders around. But you would be surprised at how many switch to raw after they've seen enough posts by raw feeders. :smile:

Oh, yeah, sometimes an animal gets diarrhea and it has nothing to do w/their food choice either. I've had this happen to my dogs and did the chicken and rice thing too to clear up their diarrhea.
Thats not exactly so. Raw fed dogs almost never get diarrhea after the first 2 or 3 months adjustment period. None of my dogs have had diarrhea in over 6 years. None have vomited except for sometimes when they swallow too large a bone and they bring it back up, chew it a few more crunches and swallow it back down again. :smile:

All of the digestive problems, "sensitive stomachs", occasional diarrhea, occasional vomiting, sometimes itchy skins, bad breath, terrible looking teeth are almost exclusively kibble problems. Raw feeders don't go constantly switching foods trying to find one that their dog can tolerate.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not a raw feeder ~I have many concerns with this and not enough experience to go there () I am not comfortable to be able to make the proper decisions about raw feeding as yet) ~ have not read into it enough.
No one has experience when they first start. Everyone is nervous. Everyone is afraid their dog will choke on a bone. Everyone is afraid they aren't feeding their dog a balanced diet. You would be surprised how quickly all those things fall by the wayside. I never give diet a second thought. I just reach in the freezer and pull something out to though out before I feed it. It's as simple as that.

I know I try to! Jeez before I started to figure out what the heck was right I feed them SD (YUCK) so I feel I have a come a long way!
And you have just a tiny bit further to go and you will finally be there. :smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I honestly think its the kibble feeders getting their feelings hurt and/or feeling guilty for feeding their dogs such crummy food.

Maybe they're not as insecure as you think. Maybe their feelings aren't hurt. Maybe they're not even feeling guilty. Maybe they're annoyed with soemone's invisible superiority being shoved down their throats.

I feed 50% kibble, 50% raw, and I don't feel guilty whatsoever that my dogs eat quality kibble. My feelings aren't even hurt with raw feeders pretend their superior to all else. I know my dogs are in fantastic shape, with excellent coats, and they didn't even have to drag a carcas all over my kitchen or yard to get that way.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe they're not as insecure as you think. Maybe their feelings aren't hurt. Maybe they're not even feeling guilty. Maybe they're annoyed with soemone's invisible superiority being shoved down their throats.
Nope, they are what I say they are. I have been on too many lists and seen them complain.

I feed 50% kibble, 50% raw, and I don't feel guilty whatsoever that my dogs eat quality kibble.
I don't understand, since you know the ingredients in kibble and I think you know how kibble is manufactured, and the source of the ingredients, and the fact that dogs are carnivores, why you would dumb down a perfectly healthy raw diet with highly processed grain based refuse from human food processing plants.

I can understand someone who has never fed raw being afraid of it. I can understand someone who has no clue about dog food being taken in by the sophisticated marketing departments. But I think you understand all that and it puzzles me why you would feed your dogs kibble.

My feelings aren't even hurt with raw feeders pretend their superior to all else.
Oh you must not know me. It's not pretend. :smile:

I know my dogs are in fantastic shape, with excellent coats,
Of course! Half of what they eat is a raw diet. :smile:

and they didn't even have to drag a carcas all over my kitchen or yard to get that way.
Poor dogs. They are really missing a great time. :smile: Hehe ... speaking of that, it reminds me of a lady who was on another list with me. She would drag a whole dead hog, head, guts and all, into her back yard and let her Danes feast on it. It would take a week or more for them to finish off one carcass.

My dogs rarely eat in the kitchen. One usually eats in the living room and one in the den. I stand at the kitchen sink and hand out animal parts and they take them where they want to to eat them. The cats usually stay in the kitchen and eat on the counters. The exception to that is when I feed beef hearts or fish. They stay in the kitchen to eat messy things like that.

·
Registered
523 Posts
RFD: I have to say I get a "kick" out of your posts. Just for the record though, I DO NOT FEEL ANY BIT OF GUILT BY FEEDING MY DOGS (OR MY CATS) KIBBLE.

I do like to read the "raw" posts because I do find them enlightening and educational as I knew nothing about raw before coming to this forum.

Speaking for myself, I don't believe that "we" kibble feeders have withdrawn from posting. I haven't posted on the "raw" threads in awhile because I haven't had any questions or experience to add as I've not done raw. But, I love reading the posts. Also, I love having the raw feeders around because then we get balanced opinions from both sides... which I find quite interesting! And, again for the record I'm not real good with dares but I just don't want to do raw feeding at this point and not sure if I ever will and this is not out of fear. If I were to do raw, I would research it much more than what opinions I read on this forum. But, I do want to learn about it and I thank you and all the raw feeders for that input.

Oh, I almost forgot. My dogs vomit and get diarrhea from eating grass not from the kibble. That's when I feed them something like the chicken and rice to settle their stomachs. Sometimes I give just rice. If that's considered raw then I guess I give them raw maybe once a year... ha, ha. So then I guess I dabble in raw once in a great while. ha, ha.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Of course! Half of what they eat is a raw diet. :smile:
Actually, one of my three dogs doesn't get the raw, and he's in just as good of shape. Why doesn't he? Because every time I have given him so much as a tablespoon, I'm spraying down my lawn a half hour later because his stools aren't even solid enough to pick up. I gave it a go with him, and after ten days of so much vomiting and total liquid stools he was weak, I quit. The 100% kibble diet, however, has done him absolute wonders.. and it's not even grain-free! Nope, Evo did him terrible (though I am still a fan of the food, just didn't work for him) and I even "know how" to feed grain free.
Champ and Grissom eat 50% raw, max eats 100% kibble, and each is in just as good of shape as the next.

You might like animals dragging dead bodies around your home and yard, and cats on your kitchen table (my pet peeve) but as for me, I babysit toddlers on a regular basis, and the day I let my nephew crawl around on raw meat is the day I die. We have standards for how clean our home is.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Actually, one of my three dogs doesn't get the raw, and he's in just as good of shape. Why doesn't he? Because every time I have given him so much as a tablespoon, I'm spraying down my lawn a half hour later because his stools aren't even solid enough to pick up. I gave it a go with him, and after ten days of so much vomiting and total liquid stools he was weak, I quit. The 100% kibble diet, however, has done him absolute wonders.. and it's not even grain-free! Nope, Evo did him terrible (though I am still a fan of the food, just didn't work for him) and I even "know how" to feed grain free.
Champ and Grissom eat 50% raw, max eats 100% kibble, and each is in just as good of shape as the next.

You might like animals dragging dead bodies around your home and yard, and cats on your kitchen table (my pet peeve) but as for me, I babysit toddlers on a regular basis, and the day I let my nephew crawl around on raw meat is the day I die. We have standards for how clean our home is.
I forgot about that.... yeah I think raw can be much messier than kibble and you have to be careful about the bacteria in the chicken that can be passed on to humans.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I forgot about that.... yeah I think raw can be much messier than kibble and you have to be careful about the bacteria in the chicken that can be passed on to humans.
I'm not so much concerned about the adults in the house, as I can't remember the last time I crawled around the kitchen on all fours, but the kittle kids that do, and put their hands in their mouths... I mean, come on.

And honestly, letting my dogs drag that stuff onto the carpet.... yeah, fat chance.

I love my dogs, I care about what they eat, but my house is not going to hell and back over it.

Max didn't particularly enjoy the raw, either. He'd eat it after skipping a day and a half of food, when he was really hungry. Yes, I give in to his picky eating. Food is one of the few simple pleasures of life, and I'm not about to take that away from him. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to eat it. I'll give him something healthy that he does like.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
No one has experience when they first start. Everyone is nervous. Everyone is afraid their dog will choke on a bone. Everyone is afraid they aren't feeding their dog a balanced diet. You would be surprised how quickly all those things fall by the wayside. I never give diet a second thought. I just reach in the freezer and pull something out to though out before I feed it. It's as simple as that.

And you have just a tiny bit further to go and you will finally be there. :smile:
Ok now when you raw feed, do you use a book that you have bought to figure out what to give? do you just wing it? I have heard discussions about this also . what vitamins do you give or not give its confusing to me! But heck I have no problem if it is actually easier than giving that cup of dog food, is it, see that is where I am at convenience and I feel that the food I feed is really healthy!? I know of no one in my area that raw feeds so this is foreign to me! How and why did you go about raw feeding? Was it becasue of your dogs having problems with kibble or what? Just inquiring here! Want to know why your backing raw feeding and how complicated is it!?

And I think the convenience of feeding kibble is great! And nope I don't ever feel guilty though feeding them kibble they actually like it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts