Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I am new. My name is Lisa and I have a 12 year old Brittany named Patches that I adopted 4 years ago. Recently he has developed allergies and I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. It is either the new food I switched him to (Wellness for seniors) or wild harvest chicken that my husband and I eat and that i was mixing into his dry food each night.

I have given him fresh chicken before and he has never had a reaction. The poor thing has been in a cone for almost 3 weeks and he scratched his face so bad it got infected and he is also on antibiotics...

Has anyone had a dog with food allergies and what were they and does anyone have any recommendations for or against a particular brand of dog food?
Thanks so much
Lisa

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hey there,

It probably isn't the brand of dog food, but an ingredient IN the dog food.
It could be corn, or chicken, or beef, you don't know until you try eliminating things.
Our clinic does an allergy test for dogs, but I know it is controversial...some people think it's fantastic and others think it's not so great. It is a blood test and we send it out to a specific lab. They analyze the sample and return a booklet to us for the client, listing what the dog is allergic to. They also include a booklet listing all of the foods and treats that are 'safe' for your dog or cat. The clients I know who have done it love it.

The other thing you can do is look at the food you're giving now and buy something with NONE of the ingredients listed in it. So if you're feeding say lamb and rice, pick a fish and potato. Make sure there is nothing in common if you can and see if that helps.
I would also try cutting out the cooked chicken and reintroducing it later in case that is the culprit.
I know it's a huge hassle and a pain, but hopefully you'll find something that works for you. :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have gone thru this with Khan. The best way to figure this out is exactly like spookychick recommends. Eliminate his kibble and give him a very basic diet of one protein and one carb. If you suspect it may be the chicken, try giving canned turkey. If he is eating a food with rice, you can try barley or oatmeal. You need to look at ALL the ingredients. most of the time the proteins and/or the grain is what everyone focuses on. In Khan's case he was allergic to Flax. That is found in almost every food and treat. Once that was eliminated he was much better. I must say, that even after that finding and yes he did get much better once the Flax was eliminated, he still was not completely better. I have since taken him off kibble completely and am giving him home made food. within 2 weeks his stools were perfect, and his ear is free and clear of any yeast infection, and he no longer licks or scratches.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
It's not the chicken he is allergic to. It COULD be any of the ingredients in the food you are feeding him OR it may not be a food allergy at all. It maybe an environmental allergy OR it may not be an allergy. In other words, don't narrow down your possibilities without learning more about your problem.

Hehe, guess I wasn't a lot of help. :smile: You got good advice from the others.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
What are you feeding now?

Common allergens include corn, wheat, soy, yeast, chicken and beef. A lot of dogs cannot tolerate grains as well. So I would reccomend a limited ingridient grain free food with novel protein source like fish or venison.

You could try wellness core ocean, taste of the wild pacific stream or canidae grain free fish. Usually dogs with allergies do well on fish based foods because they have higher % of omega 3's which helps to reduce inflamation in the skin.

Best of luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts