Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you with sensitivity issues regarding raw feeding, PLEASE don't read this! I do not wish to offend ANYONE! You have been warned!

My husband and I struck up a very ODD conversation today, and I wanted some input...

We have a 17+ year old cat who is not sure about the newly acquired dogs yet. Hurley encountered her in the hallway, and playfully started barking. Abby hissed, and I broke it up.

Mark and I witnessed this, and I said, "This is why I don't ever want to feed the dogs anything that RESEMBLES an animal - a whole chicken, a whole rabbit, etc. I do not want them to start to think of our cats as prey."

Mark said, "I do not think a dog would eat a cat." I said, "Why not? It is meat!" He said, "I do not think a dog would ever associate a cat as a meal." I said, "WHY NOT?" He said, "Ask the forum!"

SO...here I am with an icky question...Have any of you ever fed cat to your dogs, and I certainly do not mean a LIVE cat, but maybe one that you found dead on the road? What about WHOLE rabbit, with fur and all?

We also have two pet rabbits who have a pretty big open pen in the cellar, and our dogs are very interested in them - I tend to think it is because the dogs want to play, but I am not positive...

This is why I never want to offer the dogs anything to eat that does not look like a meat PART - thigh, breast, roast....so that they do not get the idea that any other pet they live with could be considered a meal.

I would love to hear from some of you on this...

THANKS, and sorry for the gross subject!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I have 2 cats that live with my 3 dogs, they DO NOT look at them as prey, and no I have never or will never feed them a cat, this is a domesticated animal.

I do however feed my dogs rabbit, not with fur on but whole rabbit skinned. There are several raw feeders I know of who feed their dogs whole fur on rabbits with no issue, it is a prey animal and one the wolves would eat. I think if the humane society found out anyone was feeding cat to thier dogs they would get in BIG trouble!

Reactions: Animal Quackers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think if the humane society found out anyone was feeding cat to thier dogs they would get in BIG trouble!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE know I am NOT advocating this!!! The question came from a place of safety concerns for my cats and bunnies!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Oh I know that! But in some countries it probably happens.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure I asked my question clearly....and I feel kind of sick that anyone would think I have ANY plans EVER to feed my dogs cats or live rabbits...

What I meant was, if you feed your dogs dead animals - say the dead but furry rabbit whiteleo mentioned some here feed, would my dogs then begin to see our pet rabbits as lunch, or even see our furry live cats as lunch...

Really, I have NO DESIRE to feed anything with fur to my dogs, and ABSOULTELY NOT anything LIVING to my dogs...I just want to make sure my cats and rabbits are not seen or will ever become seen as potential lunch to my dogs.

Thanks so much, and again, I apologize for the sensitive subject.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I don't think you have any worries there. Breakfast and Dinner come from the firdge and the humans, it is dead regardless of what it may be, rabbit, chicken, etc.

Dogs do know the difference.

Reactions: Animal Quackers

·
Registered
204 Posts
Simply put no, I don't think your dogs would see your cats as a meal.

I go by the rule of not feeding animals with pointy teeth to the dog. That means no other carnivores, no cats, dogs, possums, raccoons, bears, etc.

He does eat rabbit, but I don't think he would connect that a real one and dinner are one and the same.

However, a dog that is used to eating fur or feathers on whole prey might not have that distinction.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU one and all...I feel better!

When my little Abby cat hissed at the dogs, I just got really afraid for her safety for half a second...I have NEVER seen ANY signs of aggression toward the cats from my dogs, but I can not imagine a worse thing than coming home to find my cats were lunch...Oh God, that would literally put me over the edge.

Again, I really apologize for the gross topic, but appreciate you all for putting my worst fears to rest!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Don't apologize! We raw feeders are used to controversial topics LOL

Better to ask then leave you wondering!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. My bird hisses at my dog if he gets too close to her when she's not in the mood to play. Other than that, they coexist peacefully. He's been around her ever since he came home as a puppy, so I think he sees her as part of the family. It did cross my mind that he might think of her as an edible chicken though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I wouldn't worry about cats but I'm not so sure about rabbits. My dogs AND cats catch, kill, and eat wild rabbits pretty regularly. It probably depends on the situation. If your dog sees the rabbits as family members, he probably won't eat them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i dont feed raw, i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

my dogs would DEFINITELY kill and and eat a cat or rabbit outside.
but they wouldnt my house rabbits or my house cat. no way.

i think even if i regularly fed my dogs rabbit with fur and all that they would still be fine with my rabbits that i have. they just seem to know that the rabbits and the cat in the house are pets.
outside they are food.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all again...I really apreciate the input - and I like the unanimous opinion, too! :)

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I'm going to chime in, and perhaps make enemies.
I HAVE given a live rabbit to my dogs. It was bred and raised as snake food, and the little thing was a jerk. Was it sad? Sure, if you get mushy about it. They didn't make the rabbit suffer... ohhhh no, it was a very...very fast death.
So, those who will be mad over it, go ahead, be mad... the rabbit was either going to be my dog's dinner, or a snake's dinner.

My dogs have NEVER gone after my cat, not before, not after, and none of them were "raised" with cats by any means. Would they kill a pet rabbit? No idea. I know that when I "babysat" my friend's ferret, they showed no interest in it, and that was AFTER the live rabbit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If the dogs are taught to leave the cat and rabbits alone then I think you will be fine. That being said, yes a dog will see a cat as a meal. My cousin's dog unfortunately killed several cats in the past and yes she did consume them. So it does happen, but that doesn't mean your cat or rabbits are at risk.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My dog that is on raw loves and cuddles my kitty and would never ever eat my cat!!! However, I did hve a dog in the passed that killed and ate my kitten. Only left pieces of my poor poor kitty. I was so sad. But I think that was just because my dog had never been around cats and my kitten got in the yard and....it was just awful. So A dog may eat a cat but not because its fed raw, but just because they are meat eaters and they chase what runs. Not all dogs do this of course, my dog I have now loves cuddling my kitty like I said. I think it how the dog is raised that has alot to do with it.

·
Banned
547 Posts
I have a cat and 2 dogs. Both are fed near the cat and not one views them as dinner. Even cats outside he wants to play with. Now..the rats I had he was fine with..Rabbits if I had one I am sure he would be fine with...but as for seeing bugs bunny outside and squirels I dunno if he would kill them. He may look different at them if i owned one and showed him its not food..cats before he would wanna eat..now that I got them in the house he is fine..he sleeps with them..lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
My dogs eat rabbit on occasion & will kill & eat a wild rabbit but they cuddle with & groom my free range house bunny as they did with the guinea pigs when we had them.:smile:
2 of my dogs are working guardians who guard goats & chickens...Even though they get frequent raw chicken meals they have never harmed their charges.:smile:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts