Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for easy to make dog cookies. I have nerve problems that affect my right arm/hand so I can't do a lot of mixing, kneading or rolling. I made some peanut butter cookies my dogs loved a few years ago, but had a really difficult time rolling the dough out.

So does anyone have any dog treats that are easy to make?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Oh, I do they are below. Cheap and easy and actually the recipe says to roll them out but honestly I didn't have that much time so I did the spoon drop method (like chocolate chip cookies) and they turned out just fine that way so that could be an option for you too. I will say they are time consuming but the oven does all of the work and you can do other things while they're doing their thing in there. Also, if you do not give them out quickly FREEZE THEM. I made some and many of them molded within 3-4 days. Good luck!

Peanut butter dog cookies

add half a cup of peanut butter to a mixing bowl
Use a whisk to whip the peanut butter and make it light and creamy.
Add a half cup milk and whisk into the peanut butter.
Add 1 1/2 cups water.
The mix should be a similar color to cafe au lait.
Add enough flour to make a soft dough (pliable enough to roll out but not too stiff).
Cut shapes out with cookie cutter.
Put in warm oven and bake at 300 degrees for half an hour.
Turn oven down to 200 degrees and bake an additional half an hour.
Turn off oven and leave in warm oven to turn crispy.

Pumpkin cookies

1/2 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin (not pie filling).
1 1/2 cups water
Flour

Mix the pumpkin with the water.
If the mixture is a bit thick add more water.
Add enough flour to make a soft dough (pliable enough to roll out but not too stiff).
Put in warm oven and take at 300 degrees for half an hour.
Turn off oven and leave in warm oven to turn crispy or take out if you want them chewy.

Carrot cookies

Take 1 jar pureed carrot baby food and empty into a mixing bowl.
Fill the jar up 4 times with water and add to mixing bowl.
Put in warm oven and take at 300 degrees for half an hour.
Turn off oven and leave in warm oven to turn crispy or take out if you want them chewy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! They look simple to make without a lot of ingredients, just what I was looking for.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You're welcome, yeah mixing everything together took me like 5 minutes, it was the cooking, cooling, etc that took awhile, but still easy enough you just have to be around for like an entire day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Treats

Here is an easy recipe for you

1 quart orange juice, 1 banana, mashed, 1/2 cup plain yogurt. Mix all ingredients in a container, pour into an empty ice cube tray. Store in freezer until you want to serve them a treat.

I have many recipes for treats, but the majority of them require kneading. I will look for some more, but this was the one I thought of first.

I make homemade dog food, so I have about 7 cookbooks.

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've been trying to find a treat recipe for my dog but she doesn't like anything!

I tried Boxermommie's peanut butter, pumpkin and carrot recipe...one of my dogs refused! She's is absolutely the most pickiest pup I have met. She doesnt like fruity, peanut butter, and apparently pumpkin and carrot now.

Anyone have any ideas of treats/biscuits I could try?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been trying to find a treat recipe for my dog but she doesn't like anything!

I tried Boxermommie's peanut butter, pumpkin and carrot recipe...one of my dogs refused! She's is absolutely the most pickiest pup I have met. She doesnt like fruity, peanut butter, and apparently pumpkin and carrot now.

Anyone have any ideas of treats/biscuits I could try?
Wow, a dog that doesn't like peanut butter!!

How about sweet potato? It's sweeter than pumpkin, so maybe that might work.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know!! I was just as surprised as you were. My golden looooved peanut butter. I had like 5 peanut butter kongs frozen in the fridge all ready for the messy fun. But noooo...she wouldnt go near it. i tried peanut butter cookies, no go. Such a weirdo. I'll try sweet potato =)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Might sound gross, but you could always try a meaty cookie too like the liver biscotti. Maybe she's just a meat-eating dog?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Maybe I'm just a hard a$$, but if she isn't interested I'd just stop going to the trouble and call it a day. If it isn't something she wants why force it? Treats aren't all that great for them anyway. It's like forcing a kid to eat cake if they don't like it, what's the point?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doggie Cake

This one isn't precisely cookies, but i make it for the puppies birthdays or special holidays. It is easy to make, requires no more mixing than an average cake, and you can easily substitute stuff in and out. Top it with a bit of fat-free cream cheese when it is cooled and you have a puppy birthday cake for a LOT less than you would pay at a doggie bakery. Alternatively, the batter can be placed in mini muffin tins and baked for about 20 minutes.

Banana and Carob Chip Cake

2 cups water
2 ripe bananas
1/8 tsp vanilla
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
2 Tbs honey
1/2 cup carob chips

Directions: In a mixing bowl combine water, bananas, vanilla, egg and honey followed by whole wheat flour and baking powder. Mix well. Pour mixture into an 8-inch cake pan sprayed with a nonstick spray. Sprinkle carob chips on top. Bake at 350°F for 60 to 75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

If you happen to have some broth (beef or chicken) or stock lying around, you can substitute that for the water and the dogs will go CRAZY! The carob chips can be left out easily and the doggies still love it.

Z

·
0 Posts
No peanut butter

I make many different treats but I have this odd flavor notion that when I use peanut butter I have to use spices like nutmeg and cinnaman (sp?) and ginger etc. (these all have health properties as well)

When I am making other types of biscuits I use garlic, marjoram, thyme etc.

I doubt most dogs care if they are mixed but for some reason it bugs me!

My current dog does not like garlic which is a drag, I think it's so good for health, but hey, I'm making them for him so it should be something he likes.

Z

·
0 Posts
Mixing

My Cusinart has a mixer attachment that does all the work. That might help if the mixing is hard.

Also in the olden days we used these hand held mixers that are about $15 now. That might help.

I kind of follow a basic sugar cookie recipe but leave out the sugar and add different spices and herbs. I do use eggs. I often use chicken broth.

I have on occassion used a cookie cutter but life got too short. I roll them out and then just cut them into little squares and bake them at a low temp until they are lightly brown.

Because of allergies I use flour made of Amaranth or ground Quinoa.

If rolling is hard, I agree with another poster, spoon drop them or hand roll them (like making snakes out of play-dough) and bake as is or tie into pretzel shape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a Relief!

I am glad to see that I am not the only that is interested in homemade dog treats/biscuits! Thanks for the recipes!

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is not exactly a dog cookie/biscuit but Hannah loves this & it's healthy. I give it to her after meals......she thinks she's getting ice cream!:biggrin:

I take a bunch of apples (maybe 6-8) & a few pears, wash, peel & core them. Then I cut them up, add a little water & a touch of cinnamon & let simmer for about an hour. I mash it to get out the big lumps, freeze half of it & keep the rest in the fridge.

If you use organic fruit, you wouldn't have to peel them but organic is too expensive here so I use the regular ones & I peel them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Below is a Gelatin treat i make for my pup Van Gogh... ( I got it from a canine epilepsy site)

Gelatin

* 1/2 cup of unflavored gelatin or beef flavored gelatin
* 1/2 cup of cold flavored liquid (Chicken/beef broth work well)
* 1 1/2 cup of boiling liquid (you can use water, but part broth is fine)
* 9 x 12 pyrex pan.
* 1 or 2 quart bowl

Put 1/2 cup of gelatin in a quart bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of cold liquid and let stand one minute to soften. Pour 1/ and 1/2 cups of boiling liquid (water or broth) over the softened gelatin, and stir until all gelatin completely dissolves, about 5 minutes, or less. (If you would like "chewier" treats, next time add more gelatin.)

Pour into a 9 x 12 pan and let harden. Cut into approximately 1" by 3" strips (with shears or a knife) or a correct size for your dog. The finished product is rather rubbery and "bouncy" if dropped!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Frozen peanutbutter treats

I made treats using about a cup of peanutbutter (I used the natural kind that doesn't have transfats) and a 32-ounce container of plain yogurt, mixed it together and then spooned it into ice cube trays and froze them. After frozen, I popped them out of the trays and put them into a bag and left them in the freezer. The dogs got really excited everytime someone started to open the freezer because they loved them. I stopped making them after a vet student told me our dogs were too fat but I may start it again and just control how many they get each day or make them smaller by putting less in the tray.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts