Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang...

I am trying to get a feel for what people want when they buy a coat for their dog...

*Something waterproof?

*Something warm?

*Something cute/fashionable?

*All of the above?

*Something cheap?
---> What would people pay for a quality coat?

I would think that a dog coat doesn't necessarily have to be waterproof, cuz who is going to walk their dog or keep them out in the rain?

The whole point of a coat for a dog is added warmth correct?

But also, people like their dogs to look nice right? Why else would the pet fashion industry be a million dollar business...

I am making some coats for the local Great Dane rescue for the holiday craft fair, and quite possibly starting a small business. I just want some feedback into what people are looking for when shopping for a dog coat.

I have already made quite a few fleece ones, and everyone loved them. Great Danes are big babies about the cold...as well as a few other breeds out there and they prefer to have a coat on when playing in the snow!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Those are really cute!! great job

The main thing that I look for is that it should have a full chest/belly cover, but not restrict movement. Ideally if fleece is used it should be non-pilling kind. Price can be restrictive, I probably wouldnt spend more then $60 on a coat.

I really like the look of chillydog coats:
Chilly Dogs

or this weatherbeeta one:

Kennel Deluxe Dog Blanket Weatherbeeta Inc (Pet Supplies - Pet Equipment Supplies - Pet Apparel - D

but for the winters that we have, I got Uno this Columbia vest, its great, its easy to put on/take off, no pill fabric, doesent restrict movement:

Columbia Sportswear Trailhead Dog Vest - Fleece - Save 50%

Heres a pic I took of him trying it on:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I want to buy Casey and Ava a coat at out local pet store <not Pet Smart> for warmth mainly because Ava has such short hair and she shivered so much last year I put infant clothes on her... but I just wanted to say your puppy clothes are adorable! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are good coats, the only problem is that they really don't have the sizes for BIG dogs...like Danes. A lot of the people that I know (huge Dane community out here) have resorted to buying baby horse blankets because they cannot find coats big enough for their Danes. The coat you have for Uno looks good and durable.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
All these coats I am seeing are sooooo sooooo sooooo cute LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!
Living where it gets pretty cold in the winter, I want something for warmth and also with the cold and snow something that keeps them dry! My one dog (ori_pei) has longer hair ( the 1/2 of him that is shar~pei is the long coated shar~pie the one you can't use for a show dog)so he actually never likes anything on,. but my beagle he's 10 and he does actually shiver (hes getting up there) and the 2 labs they can tolerate it but I know they seem cold with their short coats!
I love the look of those coats you have so darn~darn cute! Stylish yet functional you've got a hit there!:smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you guys send me your dog's dimensions I would be happy to make coats for you. I have made ~15 coats for friends/family.

Here is a good chart for all the measurements I would need:

Also, I can do any color...print or solid. From the pictures above you can see that there is the main part of the coat and trim. I can do any combo of print/solid for either of the trim and base. Prints are generally more expensive to buy so for a coat it would be a bit more as well...since I really am just starting out at this I don't have a list of prices for the different sized coats. I know that for the largest coat that I have made (fits a 170# HUGE dane was $60). So for small dog coats it would be much less than that...but I would have to think about how much fabric, etc it would take.

Just let me know! It would be great to use a couple of you guys for testimonials :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Chelsy has a lot of sweaters because every time I shave her, we end up with a cold spell the next day....plus she is 12 1/2 years old.

The thing I look for in a doggie coat or sweater is one that can be washed repeatedly and still look good, and one that dries fast so when she comes in with snowballs stuck to it, it will dry quickly.
Lhasa's are very short so the coats get dirty really quick. Washability is the most important thing to me. Plus I hate those little back leg straps that some of them have. The dog ends up tangled in them or they get pee'd on.

I put a denim jacket on Rocky once when he was a baby (Clearance rack at Target) and he pouted and sulked until I took it off. Never put another coat on him again. His problem is being too hot all the time.

·
Registered
333 Posts
aww all those coats are too adorable. too bad i probably won't ever need to buy one...1. i have a husky. 2. i live in southern california where cold is 60 degrees haha.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chelsy has a lot of sweaters because every time I shave her, we end up with a cold spell the next day....plus she is 12 1/2 years old.

The thing I look for in a doggie coat or sweater is one that can be washed repeatedly and still look good, and one that dries fast so when she comes in with snowballs stuck to it, it will dry quickly.
Lhasa's are very short so the coats get dirty really quick. Washability is the most important thing to me. Plus I hate those little back leg straps that some of them have. The dog ends up tangled in them or they get pee'd on.

I put a denim jacket on Rocky once when he was a baby (Clearance rack at Target) and he pouted and sulked until I took it off. Never put another coat on him again. His problem is being too hot all the time.
The nice thing about fleece is that its super durable, easy to wash, doesn't fade, and dries fast. I try and always get the antipill fleece too, so they stay nice and soft.

aww all those coats are too adorable. too bad i probably won't ever need to buy one...1. i have a husky. 2. i live in southern california where cold is 60 degrees haha.
We have a wolf hybrid that wont ever need a coat but the other 3 girls are total whimps when it comes to the cold...Bailey the Dane shivers even when she is inside during the winter...sheesh.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We bought one of those for Zio for our 2 weeks up in Toronto last December, but had to return it when be got back because the seams started to separate in the front after only 3 wearings. :frown:

Thats pretty bad...I thought that Columbia made pretty high quality stuff...

Bailey wears her coat almost everyday, all day in the winter even when inside. I wash it on a very regular basis and it has yet to show any signs of wear and tear on the seams.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Well I've read the reviews prior to getting it and they were all positive, but probably because the people written them right after getting it, I guess I'll have to wait til the cold comes and try it out, but I ordered the weatherbeeta as a backup, they make very durable coats.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
:( , I hope mine doesent fall apart, it seems pretty durable, but you never know. Thanks for the heads up.
It fit well. Plus Zio seemed to find it comfortable & he wasn't trying to rip it off (always a plus). But then the 3rd time he wore it, it started to come apart.

Naturally, because we were up in Toronto we couldn't do anything about it. But once we got home, we made arrangements to return it. Got all the money back...

Of course it's not something he needs all the time down here in FL.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm diggin that pink argyle, you said you charge $60 for a large right? I'd have to get you some measurements, the pup is a little smaller then your Dane's

·
Registered
441 Posts
I will have to get you some measurements for Owen. If we end up going on our Europ trip, I think that we will need it for the colder months over there. :) How much do your coats usually cost?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cost is size dependent...Large (big enough for a 120 pound Dane) are $60....unless you choose to have all solid color for the trim and base.

How much do your dogs weigh?

Also, I posted up a diagram of the measurements I would need. Just PM me them and I will figure out a price for you.

My guess so far would be

Small $25-$35
Medium $35-$50
Large $50-$60
XLarge $60+

1 - 20 of 40 Posts