Dog Food Chat banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Kuranda's are awesome, I'm sure my dogs would love one. I'm putting that on the list of things to purchase... I've always thought they were ugly but Kady's looks really cute with that patterned blanket over it. Why hadn't I thought of that before?!

Another vote for the Bowser beds... I own two of them, one is a brown donut bed that we've had for two years now. It's held up beautifully, and if your dog just likes something to curl up in and rest their head on the side, it's perfect! I love the ultra-suede-y fabric, easy to wash or spot clean, and (after I wash it) it still looks new. I bought one of the new "outdoor orbit beds" by Bowser and the fabric is even more durable, the stuffing seems to be much more durable too, it's held it's shape much better (we've had it for about 6 months now and despite the bottom white cover getting a little grey, it still looks new). They are pricey beds, a large will run about $160, but to be honest I'm never going to waste my money on the cheaper Costco, Pet Supermarket, Walmart, etc beds again. It might work for some peoples' dogs, but mine end up destroying them (not chewing) after a few weeks, and they end up flat lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Channel's previous owner had a fancy bed for her and when I got her I just threw a bunch of old quilts and sleeping bag in a corner and that's where she made her nest :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!!! YES I AM SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to personally thank each and every one of you! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
I am so motivated to make one, buy one I have four dogs so Yep, what started out I needed just for one well this is going to be great they are all going to get new beds because you guys were so helpful! I am thinking of making and looking at the orvis, LLBean, my goodness all these sights( I am writing this all down all the places not just those, that you guys have suggested! Happy Shopping for me, Happy sewing for me, Happy building for me and the hubby haha, well you guys get it ! I am so happy right now! Now after I make well the hubby too I am not doing this alone and or buy the beds well you know I will as best I can try to post! I am such a dip with the photos "eh I am not even going there too happy looking at all these suggestions and thinking of looking at DIY and also the sights so much to do here! THANK YOU AGAIN GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile smile smile smile!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I bought Abbie this damn bed at Petco around Christmas for $100.

My aunt gave me a $25 gift card to Petco for x-mas (everything is so overpriced there). I used half my xmas money on the rest of it, Merry Christmas Abbie!

She loves this bed though. She leaves my bed and always wants to sleep on her bed instead. It's 3x her size, especially when she curls up in a ball, and she loves beds with bumpers or sides on them. Just wish I had found a cheaper bed :-X

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I bought Abbie this damn bed at Petco around Christmas for $100.

My aunt gave me a $25 gift card to Petco for x-mas (everything is so overpriced there). I used half my xmas money on the rest of it, Merry Christmas Abbie!

She loves this bed though. She leaves my bed and always wants to sleep on her bed instead. It's 3x her size, especially when she curls up in a ball, and she loves beds with bumpers or sides on them. Just wish I had found a cheaper bed :-X
That is pretty much the one that my boss has for her dog(well she has 4 that are for both her labs but only Lola uses them) and her's have all 4 sides...but she paid about 30 for them, I just dont know what store she got them at!LOL

Reactions: wags

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Yeah, Petco sucks. So overpriced. Would never have gone there if I didn't get the gift card, but realize now (a month later) that I should have just bought some toys and bought a cheaper bed somewhere else...)

Oh well, Princess Hound loves it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I love the costco beds, cheap and they last a good time. I have this bed for Uno, its pretty nice for the money, but I put a blanket inside of it to add extra padding. Looks like the blue one is cheaper then mocha one.

http://www.amazon.com/Bolster-Couch..._1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1327120772&sr=8-4&tag=vig-20

You can probably make your own bed by using a crib mattress and using a thicker cover that can be easily washed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I just bought a pretty regtangular dog pillow style bed then put 2 feather pills in it and now its great, like a mattress. Then I built a wooden frame for it with ply wood and 2x4 wood and stained in dee cherry color. Avery loves it :)

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Mol just has a Dr Foster and Smiths bed, one filled with foam and cedar chips. In hind sight though, I really wish I'd got her a memory foam or orthopedic one. The cover comes off for washing, which is vital in our little household. (In fact, I really learn't my lesson there with Windy's bed, but I had no idea back then that cat's could get so dirty).
I was looking at Mol's bed yesterday, and it is definitely starting to look a bit sad, but it's roughly 5 years old now and it is washed alot, so I guess I can't complain too much.
Mol doesn't really use it during the summer, she prefers sleeping at night on the cool tiles, or on the pool deck outside

ETA I forgot that when Mol was really young, I bought her one of the beds you fill with water so it would be nice and cool for her to lie on. Only spent like, $80.00. It lasted one night.
Moral is that if you have a chewer, (or a puppy), don't bother forking out for one of these beds.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Aspen has a memory foam dog bed inside and a cedar chips bed like mentioned above outside. Both are 36"W x 50"L. But the memory foam dog bed is 6" thick.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
ETA I forgot that when Mol was really young, I bought her one of the beds you fill with water so it would be nice and cool for her to lie on. Only spent like, $80.00. It lasted one night.
Moral is that if you have a chewer, (or a puppy), don't bother forking out for one of these beds.
I got one those for my Lab many years ago... I just wanted him to be more comfortable in the summer. It also didn't last long, mostly because it started to mold. :yuck:

Yuck.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I got one those for my Lab many years ago... I just wanted him to be more comfortable in the summer. It also didn't last long, mostly because it started to mold. :yuck:

Yuck.
Actually, it is mould dear one! :D I still have to get use to the different spelling here!

You know, now that I think about it, unless you changed the water everyday, which would have been a pain in the ar$e, it would be very easy for mildew and mould to grow in stagnant water. Maybe Mol did do me a favour in the end. That's why I bought it too, thinking I was so nice and thoughtful wanting her to be cool on a hot summer night. And, actually, I don't think I've seen those beds advertised for quite some time now, maybe it's because of the mould problem?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Actually, it is mould dear one! :D I still have to get use to the different spelling here!

You know, now that I think about it, unless you changed the water everyday, which would have been a pain in the ar$e, it would be very easy for mildew and mould to grow in stagnant water. Maybe Mol did do me a favour in the end. That's why I bought it too, thinking I was so nice and thoughtful wanting her to be cool on a hot summer night. And, actually, I don't think I've seen those beds advertised for quite some time now, maybe it's because of the mould problem?
Yup. That would be my guess. And it took no time at all to mold/mould...

That bed would go under the category of GITNIP: "Good in theory, not in practice"- LOL!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts

Rocky has one in his crate. It's been filled with water for a very long time and has never molded or mildewed. But, it is sealed tight and he is not a chewer. For mold to grow, it has to have access to air of some kind. His is the type that is vinyl and has an inner core of foam and you fill it with enough water to soak the foam thoroughly then seal it closed.

He LOVES his water bed and it keeps him totally cool all year. He sleeps in his crate all the time with both doors wide open.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Rocky has one in his crate. It's been filled with water for a very long time and has never molded or mildewed. But, it is sealed tight and he is not a chewer. For mold to grow, it has to have access to air of some kind. His is the type that is vinyl and has an inner core of foam and you fill it with enough water to soak the foam thoroughly then seal it closed.

He LOVES his water bed and it keeps him totally cool all year. He sleeps in his crate all the time with both doors wide open.
Do you remember who manufactures this one? -- Sounds like a different construction than the one I had...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Tell the hubby if he does a good job, you might be able to set up a home business selling dog beds. Then he can retire, stay home, make dog beds and drive you nuts!! :D
The hubby is great with woodworking Oh yes , he can make the wood frame for the beds! I have already sent him some ideas and he complained that he is not going to let me email him anymore(denied) as I sent him ummmm 18 different sights (Blush Blush) yah right~~ if he doesn't accept my emails ~yaddayaddayadda~~ I should post some of the things he has done! Ummm as for retiring staying at home to drive me nuts, a weekend drives me nuts !!!!!!!!!! After a week around Xmas time I am ready for the straight jacket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: MollyWoppy

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Do you remember who manufactures this one? -- Sounds like a different construction than the one I had...

Rocky's is a Canine Cooler. I did have one (many many many years ago) have a seam come apart and leak but the company replaced it with the new design and this one has never leaked since we filled it. It does get really heavy once you put the water in it, so we only take it out of his crate once every couple of months to wash the cover because it's a bear to try and put back inside. It fits perfectly in a large midwest crate. We might have had more problems with it if it was in the middle of a floor where I had to try and move it to vacuum a lot or something.

He absolutely loves his water bed and he stays so cool in it that he actually will leave the air conditioner vent and go lay in his crate.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts