Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is another over discussed area but.........

I am again wanting to get a doggy bed for my dogs! Anyone have any thoughts on a nice one? I have right now a round type with the sheep skin top you know that cream colored bunchy stuff on top I have two of those one orthopedic one and two that are those plain pillow type.

What I am wondering about is the ones that look like couches and anything that is a nice quality .

What is happening with the beds I purchase, Sam's club, Petco, Walmart, target, I have also bought one on line the orthopedic one,they are really nice ,(I have never though purchased one from any of the mom and pop stores I get food from hmmm maybe I should but they are very expensive their) but they seem to me the stuffed ones just don't last and even replacing the filling with that fluff you buy at the fabric stores, or the foam they just aren't the same afterwards!

So what I want to know is does anyone have any recommendations for a nice sturdy comfy bed for the pups? Oh and affordable heehee! I was looking at fetch dog the online sight and yah I love those beds but wow the price is astronomical but this is another thing I am wondering, the beds I have I have paid up to $50.00 and that was for the orthopedic bed I bought on line. Is it then better to actually buy one of the more expensive ones do they last longer are they really any better than the ones you can buy at Sam's club for 19.99?

also anyone make their bed for their pup? This is one of my can I do this questions! I have always been intrigued with the idea hmmmm maybe it can be done! What did you stuff it with and how is it holding up?

Ok I think I am done with the questions! Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: MollyWoppy

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
I use Kuranda beds for my guys. I have 4 of them LOL. They fit perfectly into crates as well, and are super easy to clean & vacuum. I have 3 of the size large (they fit into 42" L wire crates), and one XL for downstairs.. you can see that it holds all 3 of mine just fine:

I toss a blanket on top of it and just wash the blanket as needed. Works great. Kuranda beds also have a 1yr. warranty, so if anything breaks, they'll replace it for free :)

Kuranda Dog Beds - Orthopedic and Chewproof

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Definitely Orvis and LL Bean...that's what we have at our house...if only choosing one, Orvis.

Reactions: wags

·
Registered
47 Posts
What a great picture! Sako certainly looks comfortable. :smile:

We have 2 beds from mammothoutlet.com that the dogs love and seem to be holding up well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love my Bowser Bed. They're extremely expensive, but worth it. I don't think I'll ever buy another dog bed.

Here is their website: Homepage - - BOWSERS

I bought the large double donut that looks like a miniature couch. I was lucky to get it at cost since I worked at a pet store where they're sold.

I like all the designs to choose from as well. I picked one to match the furniture in my room. My dogs used to sleep in bed with me and now they'd rather lay in their bed!

Here's what mine looks like:

72721b28f66642c19865b00ad85248e6.jpg

·
Registered
993 Posts
I like Orvis and Kuranda, but they are pricey. (My dogs' favorite bed is the Deep Dish from Orvis.) You can also find decent beds at Tuesday Morning. The Costco beds used to be ok, but now they're stuffed with cedar chips from China, and some dogs have developed seizures (!), so, IMO, they're not worth the risk.

If you want to go DIY, you can buy a twin-sized egg crate mattress pad, cut it to size, and throw any dog bed cover on it. The mattress pad will only cost $20-50 (depending on size, quality, store, etc), and you'll get several beds out of it. You can buy an expensive cover, like Orvis, or try your luck on Etsy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lots of nice ones. If only Tuffy would use one. Toby sleeps on a bed, but Tuffy likes the carpet. Or the bathroom floor. It isn't good for him, but not much I can do. I used to crate them both at night with cushions, but Tuffy runs so hot I'd hear him panting pretty regularly.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I will tell you that I have 4 beds in the house for 2 dogs and the one bed that they both try to take is the one that I made myself. I used one of those egg crate toppers that you put on a twin bed. I folded it over on itself so it is really thick. Then I got some denim type washable material in the remnant bin at the fabric store and made a big square sack that would fit over the whole thing. Originally I was going to put a zipper in the end but that was just too much for me so I just sewed velcro in the end and that got filled with dog fluff so now it doesn't have anything holding the end closed (but the dogs really don't care!).

It is really thick and for extra measure I throw one of the kids Mickey Mouse quilts from their twin beds on top of it (both kids are wayyyyyy past Mickey Mouse age!) and the dogs just wallow away on it all night. I also have one from Sams' but it isn't as thick and neither dog likes it much. As soon as one gets up off the homemade bed, the other one rushes over and takes it!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I love Orvis beds - they look SO nice! But my wallet (and boyfriend) would never forgive me if I spent that much on a dog bed, lol! Sometimes I'll just look at their beds because theyre so nice looking, hah.

What I did was I bought a king-sized tempurpedic mattress topper from craigslist for $25 and I'm planning on making a few dog beds out of it. It's 4" thick and SO nice, even if a little dusty/used. So I'd suggest browsing craigslist/freecycle/kijiji for any cheap memory foam mattress toppers you can find.
What I'm gonna do is measure and cut out a few large rectangles out of the foam and each bed will have two layers of foam stacked on top of each other to make it extra cushy and supportive. I can probably make two large dog beds and a XL crate pad (we got Eevee a 48" crate for some reason.. spoiled! :wink:) out of the mattress topper I got. I'm going to cover the foam with a waterproof cover (most likely flannel-backed vinyl) to protect the foam from accidents and overall dirtiness. Then I'll cover that with a soft but durable cover. Some people use upholstery fabric or duck canvas, some people like to use something softer like fleece material. Its all up to you! :smile:

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I use Kuranda beds for my guys. I have 4 of them LOL. They fit perfectly into crates as well, and are super easy to clean & vacuum. I have 3 of the size large (they fit into 42" L wire crates), and one XL for downstairs.. you can see that it holds all 3 of mine just fine:

I toss a blanket on top of it and just wash the blanket as needed. Works great. Kuranda beds also have a 1yr. warranty, so if anything breaks, they'll replace it for free :)

Kuranda Dog Beds - Orthopedic and Chewproof
I bet I could make one of those! Nice picture by the way :)

I have a few dog beds that were given to me but the biggest one I made out of a patio chair cushion. Its 4 feet by 2 feet, aobut 6 inches thick. I made a canvass cover for it with a zipper for easy cleaning :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
About 3 years ago I purchased a Ceasar Millan orthopedic bed from Petco for Dutchess.
It is the best dog bed that I've ever had for the smaller Danes. It has still held it's shape, it's blue,
and has a washable cover. They still have them for sale, I believe they cost about $60 now.
It's not big enough for Tank or Goliath, but Sophia loves to sleep all curled up on it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I LOVE the mammoth beds that were previously mentioned. They are somewhat pricey (particularly for big dogs... and because we got the orthopedic ones) but I consider them an investment. I know that the girls will have them forever -- they are sturdy and nice and big for them to stretch out on, and loaded with padding that is firm yet flexible -- even on our wood floor. With a few of our other beds, the girls will lay down on it and just come down with a thump when it's right on the wood floor -- not enough padding. Anyway, I really approve of those ones. :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a Kuranda knockoff with a orthopedic dog bed on top, this seems to be the favorite around here, I have 2 more of the same ortho beds that I've packed with bedding/foam from worn out beds. Who knows, they sleep on the radiator cover more often than not because it's warm, or there's a futon they are allowed on. We don't have room for it here anymore but our papazan chair used to be a huge hit.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have been looking into this for the last few days, now that becka is not chewing her bed to pieces. At the moment we are looking to get a mattress and cover it with a proper dog bed cover
The Cot Mattress Company - Products - Cot mattresses - Superstart sprung cot-bed mattress is the mattress we are planning on buying.

We will eventually only get them for one room, and use cheaper alternatives in the other rooms (we currently have one bed, one crate and one water bowl in every room).

The suspended beds look good and I would not mind finding one and trying her out in it - its kind of like a hammock for the pup :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
We also use the Costco Pillow Beds but lately have found they just arent cutting it. They also carry the foam beds so last time we were there we picked up 2. What we found is that our guys are so use to the pillow beds they dont like the foam so we have ended up double stacking them :) Now they are content little monkies with their double highs.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
My boss has square memory foam bed(s) for her Labs...the cover is easily removed and washed, and she said that she washes the foam as well, and its super easy! I like these ones as they have rolled sides to them so that the dogs can flop around without falling off. Her female LOVES them...doesnt like her male laying on "her beds" at all!LOL

I need to figure out where she got them...as I know all of mine would LOVE them...and with not having stuffing the older ones wont tear at them!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts