Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know this is not a nice subject and we can all go on about bad owners all over the place but this is a bit of a vent for me.

BBC News - Woman charged after dogs maul girl in Dundee street

This happened just down the road from me and the girl was taken into the emergency ward my partner works in and the poor little girl has some horrendous injuries.

It was in an area across from one of the best places to walk your dog and where I regularly take my pup for walks. And where lots of kids go to play in the park.

Why is it that owners of dogs are such numbskulls and do their best to ruin it for the rest of us. The area is still talking about an attack that happened 20 years ago.

Dundee is a crap city with loads of jobless and few professionals yet the best news is of a dog with a bulls head attacking a child.

Probably worse than anything is that in a short space of time the owners will have replaced their dogs and their life will not change. :mad: and the majority of responsible owners will end up facing so much prejudice for nothing.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well its a horrible story and when you get ANY breed of dog running amok they pretty much can do horrendous things. If people could only keep their dogs contained.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I think that all too often, owners fail to understand their dogs.

Without understanding our pets, we can not teach them, not really.

If they have not been taught, they have no boundaries.

If they have no boundaries, things like that happen.

A sad fact of life, is that many people gets dogs not because they love them, and want to care for and provide for them- but because it sits well for their ego. I think that is why the breeds that have a bad reputation are where they are today. They look tough. Therefore, people who get dogs for the purpose of looking tough seek them out. The dogs don't stand a chance from there. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I think the mistake some owner's make is believing that because Dogs are "domesticated" it equates to some black and white either/or distinction.

Dogs still have close lineage/ties or whatever to WILD animals. This means wild instincts to hunt. Throw in some mistreatment by the owner and awful things happen.

I do everything I can to be in complete control of my guys when walking them. This means assesing the situation constantly...who's around, who's walking around me, etc...

I find it hard to believe these owner's had NO previous signs to indicate something was out of line...though admittedly, I don't know that for sure.

OP is correct, we all suffer the brunt of stereotypes when this stuff goes down.

Its sad for everyone involved...from the little Girl to the Dogs that will likely be put down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts