Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to start shooting rabbits as a feed source for me and becka. when I feed them too her I was hoping that I could give them whole (skin/fur guts and blood) and let her leave what she does not want.
I will be freezing them for 3 weeks prior to feeding (is there a shorter time I can do this for).

now a dressed rabbit ways about 1 1/2 pound on average (we have little rabbits) weight on kill about 2 1/2 pound. which weight do I use as a guide to feeding?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I wouldn't feed whole rabbits in my opinion. I would skin them and gut them of the stomach and intestines, leaving the vital organs like liver, kidneys and spleen. The only reason I say this is because rabbits can carry fleas, which can carry a tapeworm that dogs can contract. Not to mention they can harbor other nasty little bugs or even toxic components in their fur. I like to air on the side of caution though. I know that some people would feed them as is.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I would feed them as is. My dogs sometimes kill a rabbit and eat the whole thing except for stomach contents and intestines. They eat fur also. I have never had an incident from them eating whole rabbits. A few people I know say their dogs eat stomach contents and intestines but most say they don't. If there's anything they don't want, they won't eat it but in my experienc except for contents and intestines, there is nothing they don't want. :smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts