Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
as long as the expiration date says? It seems like most foods have a shelf life of about a year. Are we talking about a sealed bag that's never been opened, or an open bag sitting open, or an open bag that gets tightly re-closed?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as long as the expiration date says? It seems like most foods have a shelf life of about a year. Are we talking about a sealed bag that's never been opened, or an open bag sitting open, or an open bag that gets tightly re-closed?
A bag that's never been opened. I couldn't find an expiration date on it...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
How long Evo stays fresh in the bag for...?
We were keeping it in the bag (tightly closed) but recently have transferred the contents of the largest bag(s) to a plastic container. However, since Zio goes through a bag about every 3 months or so, I can't tell you how long it "stays fresh".

Why are you asking? Just wondering...

·
Registered
210 Posts
You could always e-mail Innova. I'm sure they would be willing to help. :smile:

Orijen keeps for 14 months, to give you a number to go by.

Can you find a production date?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Submariner, I am asking because I want to know if the nutrients die off if it isn't fresh. I keep his food in one of those vittle vault airtight containers.

SuzQuzie, I already threw away the bag. But I can remember pretty well, and I saw no expiration date or production date. Next time I go in the store, I'm going to ask how often they get them in.

I am going to e-mail Innova and ask...

·
Registered
210 Posts
^^^

Yay for Vittle Vaults! :biggrin:

I have way too many. One for the cats, two for the dogs and two for the horses.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^

Yay for Vittle Vaults! :biggrin:

I have way too many. One for the cats, two for the dogs and two for the horses.
Great product. Will probably last his entire lifetime because they are super durable... :wink:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I believe its 6 weeks after opening of the bag, though its probably extended when kept in sealed container. I used to just dump out the food into the plastic bin, but theres some concern over toxins leaching into food over time (forgot the exact name of it), so now I just leave the food in the bag and store it inside the bin.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great product. Will probably last his entire lifetime because they are super durable... :wink:
Yup!

I have had some of mine for... ohh... 10 or 11 years now? They are great things. :smile:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Yup!

I have had some of mine for... ohh... 10 or 11 years now? They are great things. :smile:
They must be HUGE Vittle Vaults for horses! What do you put in them? I have one big one for Rocky and one little one for Chelsy's food. The only problem with the little one is that it says it holds a five pound bag but it doesn't guite hold a full bag. So I end up with the Vault filled and a quarter of a bag still left. Not really a big deal but a little annoying.

·
Registered
210 Posts
They must be HUGE Vittle Vaults for horses! What do you put in them? I have one big one for Rocky and one little one for Chelsy's food. The only problem with the little one is that it says it holds a five pound bag but it doesn't guite hold a full bag. So I end up with the Vault filled and a quarter of a bag still left. Not really a big deal but a little annoying.
Ironically, horse feed comes in bags about the same size as the biggest dogs bags. They eat about 5 lbs a day, so I have to make weekly trips to the feed store. The hay is kept just outside. ;)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah I love my Vittles Vault so much I still can't bring myself to throw it away or sell it. You never know when you'll need a durable, compact, plastic, air-tight container, you know?

Anyway, do you know when you bought the bag?

Man, this reminds me of when I used to feed Wellness Core, I don't know if it's the brand or just the store I was buying it from but every bag had an expiration date about a month from when I bought it. Very annoying since it would take my dog about 33 days to go through a bag of it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah I love my Vittles Vault so much I still can't bring myself to throw it away or sell it. You never know when you'll need a durable, compact, plastic, air-tight container, you know?

Anyway, do you know when you bought the bag?

Man, this reminds me of when I used to feed Wellness Core, I don't know if it's the brand or just the store I was buying it from but every bag had an expiration date about a month from when I bought it. Very annoying since it would take my dog about 33 days to go through a bag of it.
I bought it around December 15, 2009. Give or take about 2 days...

I would sell it if I were you or give it to a close friend. It would be a shame if you threw it away. It's such a good product. What else could you possibly use it for? I really don't think you'll be going back to kibble...Unless you want to put your raw goodies in there...! :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The expiry is on the bottom, left side. I know with my store that i order weekly through my distributor. My date codes usually come in with about 11 months left on their shelf life. Basically every week i reieve my order i am on a new date so they rotate pretty quick.

Hope that helps

S

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I think your bag of food should be just fine, it's been less than a month since you bought it! I also think you're trying to con me out of my Vittles Vault, you fiend! hehe

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The expiry is on the bottom, left side. I know with my store that i order weekly through my distributor. My date codes usually come in with about 11 months left on their shelf life. Basically every week i reieve my order i am on a new date so they rotate pretty quick.

Hope that helps

S
Are you talking about any regular bag of dog food or the Evo bag...?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I put Purina Ultium and Purina Enrich 32 in my Vittles. :smile:

Before you go :GASP!: "Suzie feeds Purina?!" Purina Mills and Nestle's Purina are two completely separate companies. Once upon a time, they were the same company. Nestle came along and said, "we wanna feed pet food and make bank," and bought the pet food division of Purina Mills and the ability to continue using the checkerboard. They then turned a great company into a bad one. Purina Mills, however, is amazing and continually does real testing with their own animals for things like palatibility, digestibility, and effectiveness.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I put Purina Ultium and Purina Enrich 32 in my Vittles. :smile:

Before you go :GASP!: "Suzie feeds Purina?!" Purina Mills and Nestle's Purina are two completely separate companies. Once upon a time, they were the same company. Nestle came along and said, "we wanna feed pet food and make bank," and bought the pet food division of Purina Mills and the ability to continue using the checkerboard. They then turned a great company into a bad one. Purina Mills, however, is amazing and continually does real testing with their own animals for things like palatibility, digestibility, and effectiveness.
But these are horse feeds, right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts