Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm here in Richmond CA. I've owned Doberman Pinschers for 30 years at least perhaps longer. I have 2, Rust female - Trina, and Blk/Tan male - Toby. I've always fed Nutro Natural Choice dry food, even worked as a demonstrator for 3 years for the company. I came here by way of a link on another site. I was astonished to find that dead dogs are used in dry dog food. I don't know what to think now or whether to switch foods.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I would swith foods. Nutro is not the worst by any means but there are many better ones out there especially for around the sam price. Also Nutro has been under controversy lately with consumers on the food making some dogs ill and even killing some (outside of the recall). Personally I will not use Nutro products.

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome! My next dog is going to be a Dobie, but that's hopefully quite a while into the future. So far my Sibe is going strong at 11-13 years of age. In preparation for my future Dobe, I joined a large doberman message board last year. Great group of people there!

I'm not a fan of Nutro, although their Ultra formula is decent. Since you're feeding the Natural Choice line, you've probably noticed the stocking problem at most stores. That's due to repackaging, and has been ongoing for several months now. Nutro has been purchased by Purina.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nutro

I'd recommend switching from Nutro also. My opinion is that Nutro isn't at all the worst food, but there are certainly much better foods. There was another Nutro scare just a couple weeks ago where several dogs died too. I have a couple 40lb bags of Nuto at home now that were donated to the rescue that I foster for and I can't bring myself to feed even foster dogs Nutro.

Kind of a funny story, last summer the rescue had a litter of St. Bernard/Husky puppies. They were about 10 weeks, little, skinny, flakey dry fur and fed Science Diet by the rescue. I fostered one of the puppies and bought him Innova puppy food (against the advise of rescue. they're brain washed with SD, so annoying!) Two weeks later the puppy and I went to an adoption event and all of his littermates were there. Right as we walked up everyone was in shock and wanted to know what I was giving this puppy. He was literally twice as big and solid as his scrawy, unhealthy looking littermates. His fur was super soft and shiny. He looked amazing and extra healthy! The same thing happened with 2 pitty puppies I took from a litter to foster at 6 weeks old. I think they were eating Puppy Chow at the shelter. My two ate Canidae all stages as soon as I picked them up. A few days later the rest of the litter all came down with a very bad strain of Parvo. No one could figure out why my two never got sick. I swear it was the better nutrition that saved them.

Lori

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
That's a good story, same thing happened to my older dog. She got hit by a car when she was a year and a half old, the vets put her on SD prescription and refused to tell us for the longest time why she shed like crazy, had a constant yeast infection in her ears, could barely walk, had no energy, looked terrible, and randomly got diarrhea or compulsive vomiting... 8 years later they admitted it was probably a food allergy. 8 YEARS of this for this poor dog. We switched her food and she's doing amazingly better now. She runs around like a puppy, has a soft, shiny coat, her yeast infection is gone, she doesn't have diarrhea or vomiting anymore. It's amazing what a difference good nutrition will make.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts