Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to go about portioning up a pork shoulder? As mostly meat portions and then a bone in meal once? :confused:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure there is a "best way"... the bone in the middle can be at any angle, and you won't know where it's at til you start hacking away. here's what we do:

We cut most of the slab of skin off the bottom and toss it, so it's not as thick.

Then we just start cutting meal-sized chunks off of one end, until we hit the bone. Then we turn it and start going the other way, til we hit the bone. Then the sides, again, until we hit the bone.

They aren't great for making bone in meals, as the bone is pretty big. We leave a little meat on the bone, and give it to our GSD mix (who I swear could chew through titanium if I let him have some) and he takes it as a rec bone and it lasts about two days before it gets too small and I toss it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They aren't great for making bone in meals, as the bone is pretty big. We leave a little meat on the bone, and give it to our GSD mix (who I swear could chew through titanium if I let him have some) and he takes it as a rec bone and it lasts about two days before it gets too small and I toss it.
That's what I figured...

So...random question...where does most of the bone that the dogs actually eat come from? Poultry?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Most of the bone we feed is chicken or turkey, but pork ribs are fine too, and generally soft enough for them to actually eat. We feed beef ribs but they only eat very little of that bone, they're more like a rec bone.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
If I could find a good souce for lamb breast that would be a great bone in meal as the bone is soft and pliable and well, lamb is good for the dogs.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
If I could find a good souce for lamb breast that would be a great bone in meal as the bone is soft and pliable and well, lamb is good for the dogs.
If you have a Food4Less (Smiths) anywhere nearby, I found it for just over $1.50. It's more than I like to pay, but for a once a week meal, not too terrible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts