Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...kind of a followup to whiteleo's post...

I'm on my way to Lake Michigan last week(South Haven/Saugatuck area)...when I see a sign that literally has about a dozen different breeds scatterred all over the place. It was a half ass painted board...something to the effect of "All breeds....(then went on to list all the different breeds)"....and yes, some of them were spelled wrong.

I go there a few times a summer so next time I'm thinking about stopping and doing some investigation-undercover style. It sickened me. I could just imagine whats going on in the backyard of that place. I try to keep an open mind...maybe they actually are ethical...but seeing the surroundings-kind of a beat up old trailer and a number of half standing outbuildings on the property, I fear for whats going down there.

I've got to check exactly what county it was in and make some calls to the Humane Society or ASPCA(not sure who handles the area).

Whats wrong w/ people?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Kevin...what area of Michigan are you in? I am near Grand Rapids. Do you ever check out the dog beach in Muskegon? I frequent there often. :smile:

And yes I agree, you should check it out. I am so sick of byb's... :mad:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with jdatwood. Its greed. Breedeing that many breeds just screams to me that they are all about money rather than the best for the dogs/puppies. Sounds like a mill that needs to be looked into. I would be really really surprised if there is ANYTHING ethical going on there.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin...what area of Michigan are you in? I am near Grand Rapids. Do you ever check out the dog beach in Muskegon? I frequent there often. :smile:

And yes I agree, you should check it out. I am so sick of byb's... :mad:
hey Euro. I live in Battle Creek.

I have family in Grand Rapids...and am up there often. They live on the east side, just off the beltline. Near Aquinas College.

No, I don't get THAT far North often unless I'm heading up North Trout Fishing ;)

I love Lake Michigan...truly a gift for us Michiganders. Not sure how many people realize how amazing it is...when I was there last week, I just sat watching the Sea Gulls and the sun go down. Breathtaking...without getting too sappy...AND FRESHWATER. That is what is so amazing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey Euro. I live in Battle Creek.

I have family in Grand Rapids...and am up there often. They live on the east side, just off the beltline. Near Aquinas College.

No, I don't get THAT far North often unless I'm heading up North Trout Fishing ;)

I love Lake Michigan...truly a gift for us Michiganders. Not sure how many people realize how amazing it is...when I was there last week, I just sat watching the Sea Gulls and the sun go down. Breathtaking...without getting too sappy...AND FRESHWATER. That is what is so amazing.
Well I have a Hyde in the driveway, and a Northwoods in the garage. So when your ready to get out fished by a girl, let me know! I fish the Muskegon, PM, Manistee, and Au Sable.

We were at the dog beach yesterday (in Muskegon) and the water was like bath water! Wonderful!!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have a Hyde in the driveway, and a Northwoods in the garage. So when your ready to get out fished by a girl, let me know! I fish the Muskegon, PM, Manistee, and Au Sable.

We were at the dog beach yesterday (in Muskegon) and the water was like bath water! Wonderful!!

whooooaaa Euro....I grew up as a River rat just wading the Kalamazoo for Smallies. I'd make it North and fish the Au Sable and Manistee once in awhile(not sure if was the Little or Big...we were over by Kalkaska/Traverse)....

Yeah, I saw Lake Michigan was up near 80 degrees...thats about as warm as it will ever get.

Check out my post on the oil spill down here. You better go enjoy Lake Michigan while you can. Its bad. Real bad.

·
Registered
105 Posts
whooooaaa Euro....I grew up as a River rat just wading the Kalamazoo for Smallies. I'd make it North and fish the Au Sable and Manistee once in awhile(not sure if was the Little or Big...we were over by Kalkaska/Traverse)....

Yeah, I saw Lake Michigan was up near 80 degrees...thats about as warm as it will ever get.

Check out my post on the oil spill down here. You better go enjoy Lake Michigan while you can. Its bad. Real bad.
I fish the big Manistee by Hodenpyl Dam. Very nice water, but I follow catch & release. I saw the oil spill. There are people on my FB that are posting pics...so sad. I cannot believe how bad it is... :mad:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fish the big Manistee by Hodenpyl Dam. Very nice water, but I follow catch & release. I saw the oil spill. There are people on my FB that are posting pics...so sad. I cannot believe how bad it is... :mad:
Yeah, its not good. I grew up about 2 blocks from the Kalamazoo and spent many a day messing around in that river. The Smallmouth fishing is(or was :frown:) excellent. There were days we would catch and release over 100 Smallmouth easily. I stopped at the River the other night and oil was just flowing...tar balls everywhere and there is this "sheen" on the river like you see when gas spills. The bank is black about 3 feet up the sides(the river was really high from recent storms and has went down)....I hear our Congressman Schauer is trying to get President Obama to come over today because he will be in Detroit for some Automotive deal. I hope he does.

The Oil Company wasn't letting anyone help earlier...they just pushed us away...but now, as I understand it, the EPA is taking over so there may be more opportunity to help. They have a Church in my area set up for the Animal Rescue and they are looking for donations ranging from Dish Soap to Tarps to help catch the Geese(as I understand it, the Canadian Geese are getting the worst of it now)...

Its heartbreaking guys. You never really understand it until it hits your home.

I'll post this on my original post also.

thanks for listening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts