Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a Cocker Spaniel who is digging up the back yard. He plays with the other dogs, has lots of toys & bones, goes for walks, gets plenty of exercise and attention - and still he digs.

Does anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have a friend with a Cocker Spaniel who is digging up the back yard. He plays with the other dogs, has lots of toys & bones, goes for walks, gets plenty of exercise and attention - and still he digs.
The dog is bored.

Playing with other dogs is great. How often does he do it? You'd be surprised to learn that many people think once a week at the dog park is sufficient play.

Toys and bones mean very little to a bored dog. Too many toys seem to be worse than just a few. I prefer giving a dog 3 or 4 toys and no more. They should be different textures. Something hard (bone), Something medium (a hard rubber toy of some king), something soft (a soft furry something), and a Kong or other food holding toy.

As for walks: Again, you would be surprised to know that most people think a walk around the block is exercise for a dog. It's nothing. Dogs need to run and play, chasing balls or frisbees or sticks or something. They need to run until they are ready to drop. A 1 or 2 mile jog would be good exercise for a dog this size.

Attention: Many dogs spend 8 or more hours at home alone each day and the owners think they get plenty of attention because they play with them for 30 mins or an hour each day.

I'm not saying that all these things apply to your friend, but some may. They are problems I have encountered in my 15 years of training dogs.

Something that will help is to build the dog a sand box in the corner of the yard and let him dig there when he feels the urge to dig. It shoudn't be too difficult to teach him that the sand box is an accpetable digging place.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually he's got playmates that live with him. They play all day long. He has bones and soft toys too, and the walks are quite lengthy - not just around the block.

I like the sandbox idea though - she's going to try that.

thanks for the info!!!

:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
After getting mad at my dogs for digging in our yard, they started digging in our sandbox on their own, clever puppies.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's funny! They are clever little creatures! She's got the sandbox & is going to hide a couple of his toys in there so he knows it's an okay place to dig....

We're keeping our fingers crossed!

Thanks for your input!

L

·
0 Posts
My Lab loves to dig and I was told by a trainer that it's because he had more energy than he knew what to do with. A sandbox is a neat idea. That would work for my Lab.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sandbox does seem to be working. He's a foster doggie (saved by Cast Off Cockers) and is going to be adopted today, so we're hoping the new family has a sandbox fo rhim to play in too! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
You should definitely tell them about the digging and the sandbox, then they won't hate him when he digs up their yard and it decreases their chance of returning him. You'd be surprised how quickly people give up on dogs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes. She's told them all about him. Cast Off Cockers has one of the lowest return rates....there's pretty strict rules and we aren't supposed to make the animals out to be anything more or less that they are. He's such a precious boy! If they're the right people for him it will work out.

Thanks!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts