Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the appropriator section to post this in. Sorry if it isn't!

My husband asked me a question that I couldn't really answer lol. So he wanted me to ask you guys!

Are there any demonstrated differences in the health benefits of Prey model compared to BARF?

I'm not here to start a debate. We're just curious about the noted health differences. I don't want to encourage arguments. All opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Well, I think if one is a prey model feeder it's because they believe their dog gets the health benefits desired from that style of feeding. And vice versa.

Personally, I believe my dogs don't need anything but meat, bones, and organs to have optimal health. I don't know that I am against BARF feeding, I just think it's more complicated, unnecessary, and a waste of energy.

Plus, I have come to believe my dogs are truly built to digest meat and bone. Snorkels in particular will show ill effects if she eats more than a tiny bite or two of vegetables, either cooked or raw, in the form of constipation or vomiting.

And Lord help her if she eats truly "bad" food like the peanut butter bars and sour gummy worms she got into the other night.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
From what I see here and other raw lists is that BARF doesn't really add any benefit over PMR for most dogs. BARF is a necessary diet for dogs like Duncan owned by Sara (luvmyBRT) with health problems (urate bladdar stones). Most of the benefits to a raw diet are from fresh whole, raw meats, bones and organs...particularly raw bones for dental benefits. Some dogs don't do well at all (like above) with veggies or fruits or dairy or grain.

The more "variables" you add into a diet, the more complicated it gets. Trouble shooting tends to be harder when problems occur because you have that much more to think about when a reaction occurs like diarrhea or vomiting...you have to ask yourself...what's causing this?

But does PMR have the upper hand to BARF? IMO yes for MOST dogs. Its easier, cheaper, less complicated and more species appropriate. Does PMR have OBVIOUS health benefits over BARF? Not necessarily, unless dogs have sensitive systems, or are allergic/intolerant to some plant or dairy item.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've had one person on another forum who breeds rottweilers who has stated that they fed BARF for many years and switched to Prey Model. They had no difference in the health or appearance of their dogs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was trying something more BARF oriented as my raw feeding mentor in real life (the boys' groomer) is BARF Raw. Toby eats anything, but Tuffy would refuse all of his food if it had veg in it. Those pre made patties, nope. Put a little Sojos in. Nope. So rather than giving both boys different foods, Tuffy won. I do get some ground meats with bone and/or organ (sheep, turkey, rabbit), and necks of many varieties. Chicken wings go down well too, beef cubes, organs. Backs have been getting refused by the picky one. His teeth are not that good, which is why we switched to raw. Chicken necks pretty well daily.

So far so good. They are both doing well, with the occasional pudding poop, but it was no different before, and the change in volume of poop is amazing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
From what I see here and other raw lists is that BARF doesn't really add any benefit over PMR for most dogs. BARF is a necessary diet for dogs like Duncan owned by Sara (luvmyBRT) with health problems (urate bladdar stones). Most of the benefits to a raw diet are from fresh whole, raw meats, bones and organs...particularly raw bones for dental benefits. Some dogs don't do well at all (like above) with veggies or fruits or dairy or grain.

The more "variables" you add into a diet, the more complicated it gets. Trouble shooting tends to be harder when problems occur because you have that much more to think about when a reaction occurs like diarrhea or vomiting...you have to ask yourself...what's causing this?

But does PMR have the upper hand to BARF? IMO yes for MOST dogs. Its easier, cheaper, less complicated and more species appropriate. Does PMR have OBVIOUS health benefits over BARF? Not necessarily, unless dogs have sensitive systems, or are allergic/intolerant to some plant or dairy item.
In addition to BRTs, Dalmatians are also susceptible to bladder stones. So, while I think Dalmatians (at least mine) do better on PMR, for the sake of crystals forming, she's back on a BARF diet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.