Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother in law just told me that their husky has diabetes and the vet says she will need to be on insulin the rest of her life. I suggested that she look into raw feeding..... could this help or cure the diabetes ? :confused:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Diabetes is a disease that is basically managed with medication and diet. Basically feeding a low carb diet would be ideal, and since pmr raw diets don't have a carbohydrate component I would say it's the most ideal diet you could choose for a diabetic dog.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Just as in people, carbohydrates are very bad for diabetic animals (amazingly enough most of the so called Prescription 'diabetes' diets are loaded with carbs), I think that a PMR diet would definitely help, you can't cure diabetes but you can lower the need for as much insulin and keep the dog more stable by feeding an appropriate diet. We had a client with a dog who went from needing 10 units twice a day to 2 by feeding Wellness Core Canned food. He was a lot more stable in his blood sugars as well, less frequent crashing, when he was on the 'diabetic' diet (Royal Canin) he was having constant problems.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Absolutely, a diet with no carbs will save the dog. Dogs (and humans!) can almost be "cured" from diabetes (type 2 at least) if they stop eating carbs. If they stop eating carbs, the blood sugar levels will stop rising, and thus there will be no need for insulin.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
a human or dog can acquire diabetes...there is a difference between adult onset and juvenile...

diabetes type I occurs when the pancreas literally stops working or never worked properly and the person is usually diagnosed at an early age...the same is true of dogs.

diabetes II occurs when the pancreas is overloaded for long periods of time with certain types of carbs....bread/grains/candy/starchy foods/ -- basically the wrong type of carbs....at least for humans....
and any type of carbs for dogs....

so, depending on what type of diabetes it is....then certainly diet plays a H U G E role in treatment....

i have seen adults stop eating grains and drinking milk and eating starchy processed foods.....and they have not progressed to the needle ...some even eliminate the need for drugs...

with dogs..the same thing can happen....depending on the severity of the diabetes, the cooperation of the owner, and the condition of the pancreas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts