Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just in from the Delta Society; thanks to Susan Thixton for the heads-up. Thought you raw feeders should be aware of this in case this is a group you support:

Delta Society - Raw Protein Diet Policy

Over the past few years, the increasing use of raw protein diets and the health concerns and controversy generated have grown, not only between the public and veterinarians, but often within the veterinary profession itself.

After careful consideration of all of the known scientific facts, and on the unanimous advice of the Delta Society Medical Advisory Board, made up of internal medicine and public health experts from North America, the board of directors voted to preclude animals eating raw protein foods from participating in Delta Society Pet Partners program. This will be a phased program, with complete compliance structured to be in place by June 30, 2010.
An FAQ with a bunch of the usual bacterial hysteria follows this quote.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I don't get it... If all they do is train and place dogs, what do they care what they're eating? Will what they eat make them less good at their jobs?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Oh I see now. Because "it is well known that animals fed raw diets (BARF or other) shed significant amounts of pathogenic bacteria, which studies have indicated may put some people at risk, as compared to pets being fed commercially prepared or cooked, home-made diets."

But I still don't get it. Where/how is this shedding occuring? From submerging my dog in a vat of raw meat for an extended period of time? I'll have to make sure we don't do that for four weeks prior to visiting immune compromised individuals.

Lame.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
They are an organization that trains and places service and therapy animals.
I MAY be misremembering but I don't think so. Delta Society has nothing to do with service dogs. If you own a dog and want to visit hospitals, schools, etc as a therapy dog, you would join Delta because they have a lot of places lined up for you to visit. They do have training classes that are not much different from any training class you would attend with your dog.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Oh I see now. Because "it is well known that animals fed raw diets (BARF or other) shed significant amounts of pathogenic bacteria, which studies have indicated may put some people at risk, as compared to pets being fed commercially prepared or cooked, home-made diets."
There was a study done a few years ago at Ohio State(I think) regarding shedding bacteria in stools by raw fed dogs. I was asked to participate in this study but declined because I could see from the beginning what they were trying to prove.

Anyway, If I remember correctly, they found that something like 70% of raw fed dogs shed salmonella in their feces. They also found that 35% of kibble fed dogs did the same. I'll bet Delta Society doesn't know this.

Also what the study doesn't show is that no one ever gets sick from this. Not the dogs, not the people living with them. I have fed raw for 8 years. I play with my dogs on the floor and get licked in the face quite often. Same with my wife and my grandchildren. No one ever gets sick.

Perhaps if you handled feces then didn't wash your hands before you ate, it might be different. Or it might not.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It's as easy as teaching your kids not to run outside and eat dog crap. -.- Stuff like this makes me mad. They were probably paid by the pet food companies to do this, otherwise they might not be so grossly misinformed. I hope a lot of people drop from their program because of this.

Reactions: Jodysmom

·
Registered
474 Posts
There was a study done a few years ago at Ohio State(I think) regarding shedding bacteria in stools by raw fed dogs. I was asked to participate in this study but declined because I could see from the beginning what they were trying to prove.

Anyway, If I remember correctly, they found that something like 70% of raw fed dogs shed salmonella in their feces. They also found that 35% of kibble fed dogs did the same. I'll bet Delta Society doesn't know this.

Also what the study doesn't show is that no one ever gets sick from this. Not the dogs, not the people living with them. I have fed raw for 8 years. I play with my dogs on the floor and get licked in the face quite often. Same with my wife and my grandchildren. No one ever gets sick.

Perhaps if you handled feces then didn't wash your hands before you ate, it might be different. Or it might not.
Question:

If in fact the study found twice as much salmonella passed through raw feed dogs when compared to kibble fed, what can the raw feeders do to help the public understand what that exactly means? Or what is the significance between 70% and 35%? If I put on my medical "hat", i would say that raw feed dogs are twice as likely to pass salmonella thru their feces than non raw fed dogs, therefore, it must be safer to have non raw fed dogs in nursing and rest homes. (I'm playing the devil's advocate here so don't jump all over my ass).

I think to counter that logic, as a raw feeder, you need some sort of factual statement. I don't know, just trying to think my way thru this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Also what the study doesn't show is that no one ever gets sick from this. Not the dogs, not the people living with them.
If the info about salmonella in the feces is true, it *might* be a reasonable precaution to not place raw fed dogs in households where someone has a compromised immune system, but other than that, I think society is too germophobic. The immune systems, like the mind and the muscles, work best when they are exercised. Trying to live in a sterile "plastic bubble" is not doing a healthy immune system any favors.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Question:

If in fact the study found twice as much salmonella passed through raw feed dogs when compared to kibble fed, what can the raw feeders do to help the public understand what that exactly means? Or what is the significance between 70% and 35%? If I put on my medical "hat", i would say that raw feed dogs are twice as likely to pass salmonella thru their feces than non raw fed dogs, therefore, it must be safer to have non raw fed dogs in nursing and rest homes. (I'm playing the devil's advocate here so don't jump all over my ass).

I think to counter that logic, as a raw feeder, you need some sort of factual statement. I don't know, just trying to think my way thru this.
We've been feeding dogs kibble for about fifty years now? Has anyone ever gotten salmonella poison from the 35% of dogs that have shed it in their feces? I think it's a viable question, but when you think about it, I've never heard of anyone getting salmonella from their dog's poop if they've fed kibble or raw, and plenty of immunocompromised people have had dogs as service/therapy dogs and never had problems before. You would think that, even if there were 35%, at some point, if they were even likely at all to get it, they would have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ok so how are these people supposed to find evidence that you
feed raw :confused:. I mean you feed your dogs in your home......

whew, it's a good thing I'm not out eating my dog's feces.
Thats what I was thinking. Are people gunna be out there dunking their heads in it picking it up having poo poo fights?????

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
the fear mongering has to do with liability with immunocompromised patients.

having been one of those immunocompromised patients, i can tell you unequivocally that a dog's butt has been the least of the issues facing those of us in that situation.

it's such an easy fix to bring a smile to our faces.

wash your hands and bring wipes for the dog. wipe down his face, paws, and butt...for each room visited....

delta society. i've been reading about them across the boards...and this is patently ridiculous.

when someone is THAT immunocompromised, believe me, no one should be visiting.

but, do let's start with hospital or hospice or nursing home staff. when they make the comment -- oh, i'm just coming in to do this or that' as if that's a reason NOT to gown, glove or mask.....and my DH has to sit in front of the door to either keep them out or make them comply at 3 a.m.....there's more of a problem than salmonella dripping out of a dog's butt.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts

i don't remember if your numbers are exactly right on, but your statement is right on. there was a study done...actually, quite a few....that support what you just said.

if anyone is interested, let me know and i'll post some of the studies...

for an organisation to tell ME that i have to feed my dog a certain way in order to be part of their organisation is their right as a private concern.

but, do they get federal funding? state funding? private funding? if so, can they make that determination without challenge? there are an awful lot of places that welcome therapy and service trained dogs and an awful lot of patients that need a free smile.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts