Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two dogs that I am now switching food from Nature's Select Salmon & Sweet Potato diet to Wellness Core (original). My smaller dog is no longer eating her old food and is losing weight. My larger dog seems to eat anything. They both have some issues w/food. My small dog who is 1 1/2 yrs old is a picky, picky eater whereas my larger dog who is 4 yrs old (and I got her from a shelter last January) had diarrhea due to a sensitive stomach until I switched them to eating the Nature's Select Salmon kibble.

I am slowly transitioning them to the Wellness Core and they both seem to like it. So far so good but its been only 2 days. My confusion comes in because I have been trying to do research on what is the best dog food for them. There are so many good ones out there I am soooo confused. My dogs are not particularly active therefore I am confused that maybe the Wellness is too high in protein for them as are other brands I had been considering switching to. The percentage of protein is 34% which seems better than a 42% kibble. But, is this still too high for them? Help!!!!

Also, the brands I have been considering have been 1) Wellness Core, 2) Innova Evo, 3) Blue Wilderness and 4) Orijen.

A store down the street sells other brands that also seem to be good but I'm just at a loss because they only have one or two ingredients that are first listed as protein. Their brands are California Natural, Fromm and Taste of the Wild (as well as Innova). But, within these brands are 3 or 4 different varieties to choose from and I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Don't worry about the protein content so much as the fat as far as activity goes. I had my dog on the Wellness Core reduced fat and as long as she got that and not the original then she did fine and I was able to control her weight. The original always bulked her up too much.

I'd say stick with it for now and see how they do with it. Once they're used to having it, you can always start doing a dry food rotation that includes different brands (variety is the spice of life), just do slow transitions to make it easier on their stomach.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would think that a kibble with a 34 percent range would be a happy medium for both dogs. A dog food should be between 25 and 40 percent protein. What is important is the quality of protein and the quality of the rest of the ingredients. This being said, Wellness was recently sold to Holistic Select (I believe). Forgive me if I am wrong. So for me I will have a wait and see attitude with Wellness. Sometimes dogs get bored eating the same thing so that might be the reason you little guy was being fussy :) Good Luck with the change !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts