Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is literally taking an hour to eat. I dont know if she is being timid, but she wont even put her foot on the piece of chicken to hold it there so she can remove the meat more efficiently. And she is only eating half of what I give her. Should I be just giving her half of what she needs and just hope that she can build up to eating more over time? I would just be giving her the full portion; but because I am doing this outside, there are alot of flies and ants I don’t feel comfortable keeping the meat for the next feeding; and I wouldn’t just want to leave the piece of meat out there without her eating it because of raccoons.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My dog is literally taking an hour to eat. I dont know if she is being timid, but she wont even put her foot on the piece of chicken to hold it there so she can remove the meat more efficiently.
I doubt you learned to eat in 4 days either. :smile: Give her time. This is new to her. My Abby has been raw fed for 8 years and she rarely puts her feet on the food.

And she is only eating half of what I give her.
What are you giving her? How much food and how much does she weigh? How many meals a day?

Should I be just giving her half of what she needs and just hope that she can build up to eating more over time?
I would give her what she will eat in a sitting. It may be enough. Time will tell that. Too early to worry.

I would just be giving her the full portion; but because I am doing this outside, there are alot of flies and ants I don’t feel comfortable keeping the meat for the next feeding; and I wouldn’t just want to leave the piece of meat out there without her eating it because of raccoons.
Thanks in advance.
Why don't you feed her inside if outside is a problem?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I am 1 week on raw feeding. My chihuahua is doing wonderfully eats everything I give her, Georgie won't eat in the mornings unless it's about just 1oz of boneless, he wont' touch bone in the mornings. So I have just started feeding him once a day at night, he was getting that way before I switched to raw anyways. I give him 20 minutes what he doesn't eat in 20 minutes I pick up and put away for the next day. He's learning as he's eating more and more each day. How much does your dog weigh? How much are you feeding? How much bone are you feeding? Georgie also isn't liking a lot of skin on his meat, so I have been partially skinning his food, Zoey just gets a little bit of skin too since she's so tiny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts