Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for his first week eating raw, Louis has been getting chicken necks and chicken wings. I started out peeling most of the skin and fat off in case he got diarrhea from the transition. Luckily his poop was firm and compact right off the bat, and I now refer to them as "tootsie roll" poops :tongue: However, I've noticed in the past couple days that his poop is turning harder and rather crumbly, and also has quite a bit of bone pieces mixed in. If I give it a squeeze, it breaks apart almost like a dry cookie. When he eats kibble, his poop is always on the soft side, so I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't know exactly how hard is too hard for poop. Is he ready for the skin and fat now, or am I just feeding too much bone to meat ratio?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I'll take tootsie roll over caramel sauce poo any day :tongue:

He has just been getting the lean chicken meat for now, and I am thinking of adding in a new protein. I was thinking of frozen salmon or sardines, but the sardines I have are canned in water (not sure if you can even get them fresh?). It does seem to be a bit harder doing raw for smaller dogs due to finding cuts of meat that are small enough though. Would he primarily be getting his bone from poultry? Other than a lamb chop, everything else with bone seems too big.

Any small fish suggestions? I've been searching around for meat sources these past couple of weekends. So far I've found cuts and odd parts of chicken, turkey, duck, pork, beef, lamb/goat, rabbit, frog...haven't seen any venison yet, and various types of ocean fish that I might be able to eventually rotate in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.