Dog Food Chat banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
This post is referring to bones that have been cooked to squishiness, not the typical cooked ones. The bones are cooked for either a really long time (crockpot) or under pressure (pressure cooker) until the bones are so soft that you can squish them with your fingers. This way there is no real chance of any danger because the bones are too soft to have sharp "points" or not be quickly digested.
Just curious why you would feed a dog bones that you can squish. What is the nutritional value once all of the minerals are gone? I ask because I make bone broth and have a pile of chicken bones that I throw away weekly.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I, usually, do this as part of a homemade "canned". It's sort of a bone broth turned into a stew/soup (if my pups ate "soupy" foods). I leave the bones in to sort of add bulk and the "marrow". Sometimes, if I'm feeling energetic, I'll cut the meat off the bones, then add it back in at the end of the cooking process. I figure the bones don't hurt and might possibly add something, so I just leave them in.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts