Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Okay, I tried this recipe today. I cooked the whole 4 pound chicken by itself in the slow cooker for 12 hours and cooked the rest separately and then combined everything together. The rest was 3-1/2 pounds cooked cubed beef, 4 ounces cooked cubed lamb liver, 4 ounces cooked cubed lamb kidney, 3 tbsp. lightly steamed pureed vegetables (spinach, baby greens and asparagus) and 4 tbsp. pureed fruits (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and pear).

It was all mixed together just in time for their dinner. I fed it to the cats and Spike for dinner and added some taurine before feeding it to the cats. Spike wasn't so sure about it at first. He looked at me like "Huh? What IS this??" The cats dove right into it. They all liked it, but Spike was kind of looking around for something else.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I make it in the crock pot for Chelsy (she refuses to eat raw food) but I don't add any fruits or vegies. Usually just the chicken and some extra liver, plus whatever organs came in the whole bird. The last time I added pork in with the chicken and cooked them together.

She goes crazy for it and will eat it when she rejects canned food. Maybe your dog doesn't like the vegies and fruits?

·
Registered
659 Posts
The veggies and fruit are for bulk if the bones don't soften up, plus a little antioxident, vit/min and all that. If the bones do soften up then the dog should be able to just do the meat/softened bone/organ without a problem after used to this diet as it is about 15% bone and one tries to get to about 10% bone on prey model raw. The liver plus other organ like the kidney ought to add up to 10% of the total weight of the meats used. 8 pounds of meat/bone/organ+8 ounces of organ is 136 ounces so go for about 13-14 total ounces of organ or 6-7 ounces of liver next time. Don't worry about it though and my math is faulty - it isn't 10% that way but a little closer anyway. I need the total weight that 8 pounds would be 90% of and that calculation is more than my fried brain can do right now.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i pressure cook a whole chicken or two.
when it's done i add a little more water.
you can get 2 to 3 qts. easily. when you
pressure cook a whole chicken the bones
become moosh. you can rub the bone
between your fingers and it becomes
moosh/pulverized, granulated/powder. there's so many
good things you can add in with the chicken.
i use the mix as a topping for kibble.
i freeze a qt. or two and put one in the
refrigerator for immediate use.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like this recipe as a foundation: Dog Food Recipes: Easy Crockpot Chicken & Brown Rice | The Bark

I tend to make less rice and add more meat plus calcium but since I feed it in rotation with pre-made raw, good kibble and canned, I don't worry that it's "not balanced." I think it is *good* food.
that's exactly what I needed, can't wait to try it out. Btw I like to try it with turkey only because all this talk about dogs having allergies and itch to chicken. Why is that and not with other poultry like turkey or duck? I find this confusing because I thought chickens are the easiest prey for dogs and have been so available rather than duck or turkey. I would think chicken is a dog's best friend in terms of food. :noidea:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great recipe followed by great input! I am currently feeding a very picky pregnant poodle. She had been eating Orijen until she just quit. It seems if I totally change up every meal, she will eat a little.
Then, yesterday my husband boiled pheasant..........BINGO! Shredded the meat and poured the liquid over the kibble and she ate! Had not thought of the crock pot, it's perfect, since it looks like I will now be cooking for the picky poodle momma.
I welcome any advice and input.
Oh yeah, that pheasant will work. IMO there is no kibble out there incl orijen that dogs won't get tired after a while. I've seen friends who buy huge bags of the same dog food and feed their dogs the same thing day after day. That would drive me nuts. We always have some pot of soup or stews leftovers that I use sparingly and that's enough added flavor juice totally enhances any kibble into something any dog will appreciate and enjoy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Btw I like to try it with turkey only because all this talk about dogs having allergies and itch to chicken. Why is that and not with other poultry like turkey or duck? I find this confusing because I thought chickens are the easiest prey for dogs and have been so available rather than duck or turkey. I would think chicken is a dog's best friend in terms of food. :noidea:
Any kind of meat is fine but of course you can use cheaper cuts since you're cooking it for so long. I don't think dogs are allergic to chicken, per se. Many people still feed their dogs one brand of kibble day in and day out and the cheapest protein source in grocery store kibbles is often chicken based. It is the repetitive feeding that leads to the "allergy" rather than anything inherent in the protein itself. Of course the second rate ingredients in many kibbles also eventually lead to a weakening of the immune system which doesn't help. Time was lamb based foods were recommended to determine if itching was food related because most dogs had never eaten it. But these days there are so many lamb formulas the same cautions apply to those foods as to those that are chicken based.

For this reason, I think it's a good idea to avoid feeding a few "unique" proteins you might be able to get in your area and feed as a food trial. I don't give Benji rabbit, venison, pheasant etc just in case.

Cute dogs, btw.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Any kind of meat is fine but of course you can use cheaper cuts since you're cooking it for so long. I don't think dogs are allergic to chicken, per se. Many people still feed their dogs one brand of kibble day in and day out and the cheapest protein source in grocery store kibbles is often chicken based. It is the repetitive feeding that leads to the "allergy" rather than anything inherent in the protein itself. Of course the second rate ingredients in many kibbles also eventually lead to a weakening of the immune system which doesn't help. Time was lamb based foods were recommended to determine if itching was food related because most dogs had never eaten it. But these days there are so many lamb formulas the same cautions apply to those foods as to those that are chicken based.

For this reason, I think it's a good idea to avoid feeding a few "unique" proteins you might be able to get in your area and feed as a food trial. I don't give Benji rabbit, venison, pheasant etc just in case.

Cute dogs, btw.
Thanks, that makes sense so I guess I'll drop that whole chicken in the slow cooker and I found something tonight at walmart that's great for the slow process. They had this big package mixed of chicken hearts and gizzards for only $2 but I didn't get it because I don't like the toughness of gizzards. My yorkie doesn't like to chew, he'll just swallow those. But I can add that package with the chicken and in 8 hrs it should all be broken down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello ,

I am LM , i am new hear, i want to know what food is more healthy for the dogs .........

Thankyou.............

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Not sure how to answer you because of where you have posted. I do believe raw is healthier for your dog but home cooked would be my next choice.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Not sure how to answer you because of where you have posted. I do believe raw is healthier for your dog but home cooked would be my next choice.
i think she has realized this in the 2 years since she asked that question.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
i think she has realized this in the 2 years since she asked that question.
Herzo is replying to this post, which was from a day or two ago, not the OP...

Hello ,

I am LM , i am new hear, i want to know what food is more healthy for the dogs .........

Thankyou.............

·
Registered
141 Posts
FYI - I saw today's flyer from Fresh & Easy and one of their amazing specials for easter is Jennie- O's turkeys for only .59 cents/ lb. You can certainly stock up on this and split a 8 or 10 lb bird in half and throw it in the slow cooker. I wish I had more room in my stand alone freezer or else I would buy 3 but 1 is good for my yorkie and maltese. I think they like turkey more than chicken based on their reaction when I gave them some last thanksgiving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The crockpot sounds great! Another way to cook so the bones are mushy is with a pressure cooker... a 5 pound chicken falls off the bones and the bones turn to mush in less than 30 min ... if you have the time to stay near the pressure cooker.
Thanks for all the great ideas about crock pots!

·
Banned
1 Posts
Thanks for all of your suggestion.

Sweetpea, my Shitzu is the love of my life!

Now, after reading the book "Dog Food SECRETS"(see my signature) I know exactly what to look for and what to avoid in dog food ingredients.

I love my dog and want to care for her the best I can!

Thank you,

·
Registered
26 Posts
That sounds terrific, love the way all the bird gets used. Do all the bones soften up? Have you had failures where the bones didn't soften up? If so do you know what went wrong?

A whole chicken is about 30% bone which is 3x the amount needed for calcium. If I was forced, kicking and screaming, to abandon raw food for Max I would love try this out but add in an equal weight of beef/pork/lamb to the chicken to balance the calcium better, add a whole lot of minerals and vitamins chicken lacks and some beef liver at about 2 ounces per pound of meat.
I usually give my dogs 30% bone because they been digesting it perfectly fine. Stool is smooth as butter. what is your opinion based on it, I am not debating just asking due to my always worrying about my feeding habits to my dogs. They eat whole chicken on the daily and I add more beef or fish to up there complete muscle meat input, but what is the worst case scenario feeding extra bone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is a great sounding recipe! Thank you. There is another way to cook food so that the bones squish between your fingers... not turkey leg bones though. Have you ever used a pressure cooker? They cook faster, and seal in all the vitamins. I cook chickens and the bones are all really easy to squish... like a chicken will be done in 35 minutes or less.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bones

Hi,
I was wondering about the bones you mentioned. I thought the only way the dogs could eat the bones is if they were raw? Isnt cooking them in the crock pot making them cooked, therefore not good for dogs to eat. I boil chicken thighs, does that mean that my dogs could eat the bones?
thanks for you time.
kara

NEVER, EVER feed cooked or processed bones, including those sold at Walmart & pet stores!!! They splinter and can puncture the intestinal tract. Surgery to repair this damage is in the THOUSANDS, if you catch it in time and the vet is able to repair the damage!!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

NEVER, EVER feed cooked or processed bones, including those sold at Walmart & pet stores!!! They splinter and can puncture the intestinal tract. Surgery to repair this damage is in the THOUSANDS, if you catch it in time and the vet is able to repair the damage!!
This post is referring to bones that have been cooked to squishiness, not the typical cooked ones. The bones are cooked for either a really long time (crockpot) or under pressure (pressure cooker) until the bones are so soft that you can squish them with your fingers. This way there is no real chance of any danger because the bones are too soft to have sharp "points" or not be quickly digested.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts