Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only purchased Midwest 'better' quality folding crates because my dogs actually love their crates and have no desire to escape from them. However, we are in the market for a crate for Shade who is a 75 pound boxer mix. They are moving (again!) from our house to a small apartment and are going to introduce him to a crate for the first time while they work. I've explained about introducing him very slowly to it and all about teaching him to love his new crate.

But, in the event that he should try to leave his new crate, I'm sure he could get out of any of the Midwest ones that we own. They are the folding type and I'm not sure they are really escape proof to a determined big dog. What brands of crates does everyone here own, and what kinds do you find stand up to a bigger, 4 year old dog? They tried confining him in the bathroom of their last apartment and he chewed off all the molding of the doors. (We have trained him better since he has lived with us the last few weeks :smile:)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Don't buy a new crate. The midwest crates are great and should hold up with the reinforcement of zipties all around the junctions. I have seen 150+ pound Danes no be able to break out of a kennel that is reinforced this way. This is what I would personally do instead of getting another crate. Even the best of the best crates that cost a fortune an escape artist could get out of. At least give it a try :wink:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought of zip ties! We use them for everything, including staking tomato cages to broken hockey sticks. Just never occurred to me for the dog crate. I buy them in bulk! Thanks!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Glad I could help, they really do the trick with crates too! Good luck and let me know if it works out!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
lol. Zip ties are, like, the non-sticky form of duct tape. They work for EVERYTHING.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts