Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come when we give our doggies leftover ham it makes them have diarrhea? It's such a great treat for them and they love it sooooo much but I have to make sure not to give them too much or my floors regret it in the morning! :eek:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Maybe because when they turn pork into ham they cure it with salt and brine? I think that's how they make it into ham. I know that I just got my guys a case of Natures Variety Pork and Sweet Potato canned food and they loved it and didn't get the runs on it. Now, they each had to share the can and it lasted two days since it was just a little topping for them as a treat so it's not like it was their main meal, but I've also let them had a bit of pork roast and they've done okay. But, a pig ear will go right thru Rocky and give him the runs and I know those are cured with something to make them hard. So, that is my guess, the curing agent in hams. Anyone else have any guesses?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think that is the salt. Not sure, but when we did have leftovers before the Raw thing started, I would only give a little bit a day, kind of like a treat with their kibble.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's how I would do it, little bits, then hubby gets home and gives them the rest from the fridge....BAD HUBBY!!! GO TO MY ROOM! ~~ Anyways, I told him (and he saw for himself the next morning) that they can't have all that ham at once. Never knew why, but I knew the outcome! LOL My poor babies!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I made the mistake of giving dogs ham bones once, won't do it again. Poor things had such wicked runs. I don't know what it is about ham, but it runs right through them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts