Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy Brody is 14 weeks old, and I started out feeding him on TLC which the breeder fed him. He was chewing his paws and scratching all the time so I then moved him to Petcurean, egg, soy, grain and chicken free, but the scratching continued, he licks and chews on his paws and now there's tear staining under his eyes. Yesterday I started him on Big Country Raw, it's a Canadian food. Right now Brody weighs around seven pounds, and I was told to feed him 4 ounces. This was based on the fact that he should come in around 11 to 12 pounds when fully grown. I've been feeding him twice a day, at 2 ounces each. This seems like a small amount to feed him. I've read in this forum that for a puppy you can feed them 3 to 4 times a day. At that rate, he'd been getting an ounce at a time. I'm wondering if 4 ounces a day is enough?

I'd appreciate any comments.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Yes, puppies should eat three to four times a day, especially such small breeds. If he will eat more at each feeding, you can feed him more.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If you calculate 3% of his adult weight of 12 pounds that's 5.75 ounces per day. I'd start there, more on the high side for a growing puppy.

My full grown 12 pound active dog eats 7-9 ounces a day which is almost 5%. The percentage is just a guideline, not something set in stone. If your puppy isn't getting fat keep feeding him.

On the other hand, my 28 pound elderly lady eats 2%. She's not very active.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Feed to keep the puppy at a good body condition! You want to feel all the bony parts but you don't want to see any but a shadow of the last couple of ribs. Check weekly as he probably needs more or less at different stages of development.

Almost 8 year old Ginger gets 4 ounces a day, she's 13.3 pounds.
Almost 3 year old Bucky gets 5 ounces a day, he's 11 pounds.
They agree with you, it's definitely not enough food. Ginger once finished off a whole prey chicken except for feathers in one go. Small bird but had to be well over a pound. Too bad, I like my dogs to be fit!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts