Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My dog is having severe food allergies. He's been on Wellness Core, Dick Van Patten's potato and Duck, Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul, among others. I like to consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to the good versus bad in dog food.

My vet is the one who recommended Wellness, so I know that she is aware of all the "crap" dog food that is out there. However, I'm a bit concerned because she wants to put him on Royal Canin Vet hypo-allergenic food.

I did the research, and this food does not appear to even rank close to that of wellness, or any of the other premium foods. Is anyone out there familiar with this food? Should I just continue the search for my own food? Do I run the risk of harming my dog if I try this food? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
What kind of allergies is your dog having? Have you tried an elimination diet yet to see what could be the cause of the allergies?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Before switching I would take a look at ALL the ingredients of all the foods you've been on. Is there a common factor? Here I go again, with my broken record; but I went thru 5 foods before realizing they all had Flax in them. When I eliminated that Khan was finally better.
Before I would do anything, I would take a good look at the ingredients in everything you are feeding. Flax was in every food, and every treat I was feeding him because it's good for you!
I would also suggest eliminating everything (if you haven't done this already) and just give canned chicken/turkey (you can find it in the tuna fish isle at the store) and rice. You can then start adding food. California Natural is a Limited Ingredient diet that you might have good results with. If you find the grain is still giving him problems, then you can steer toward a grain free food.
That will at least give you a good baseline to start.
Hope some of these ideas helped.

Reactions: honeypot515
1 - 3 of 3 Posts