Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
it's very similar to what they respond with if you e-mail their company regarding the change. Personally I think it's a load of BULL $HIT but that's JMO. I do not think adding gluten is a favorable change...especially for dogs that are allergic to it. I also do not believe they lowered the carbs, they simply diversified them so it LOOKS like there isn't as much. Load of crap.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I think that if as many dogs as have been reported are having all these problems, then either dogs just can't handle their "improvements" or they weren't improvements at all. I had a woman tell me her dog got pancreatitis after eating the new Canidae formula and almost died but $3000 in vet bills later the dog is well again. But then there's other people whose dogs do just fine on the new formula. On the other hand I think having brown rice, white rice, and rice bran all right in a row on the food doesn't look like they did much to lower the grains, especially since it's also followed by 4 other grains/plant matter. But yeah, other companies use a lot of grains too, so *shrug* I'm really not sure how so many dogs got so sick off of it but I think it's very unfortunate and something the company should seriously consider before telling people it's not their fault.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm on a Boxer message board and there's a good 7 or 8 pages of complaints on a thread regarding Canidae with people that used to feed it (myself included) and when the change happened had HORRIBLE issues arise (myself included in this as well). Adn these are people all over the world, not just in the USA. I find it hard to believe that all of our dogs (even though they're Boxers) are just weird.

·
Banned
620 Posts
I recall looking at Canidae ingredients years back and was very impressed. I had noted something like 6 of the 7 starter ingredients being meat based (animal source proteins). I gather not the same today to say to least. I looked recently at the ingredients and was not impressed.

Judging by what a lot of companies have done with 'grain-free' marketing, they have done exactly what Boxer Mommie had mentioned, diversified the ingredients. There is no escaping the fiber though, and the diversification is plant based fiber.

Potatoes we think carbs and starch, but very similar to that of fiber providing bulk. Tomatoes (pomace) in pet and cattle feed are included for dietary fiber. Flaxseed when seen in grain-free, it's a no brainer, in there for dietary fiber.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts