Dog Food Chat banner

Do your dogs wear their collars at home?

• Always! My dog is never without their collar

Votes: 67 24.6%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 61 22.4%
  • Never! My dogs are total "nudists"

Votes: 99 36.4%

• Total voters
141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have never put much thought into having Zoey collar-less when she is at home. We always remove her collar before putting her in her kennel and at night before bed. She is an only dog, so I'm not concerned about the playing aspect, it doesn't affect her fur as Scotties are cropped close around the neck, and doesn't appear to bother her at all. So, when she's loose at home, on it stays!

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's been years since I've walked my dogs on their collar, always on a harness. I don't want to put undue pressure on their necks, even though they don't pull it would just take one unexpected lunge at a squirrel. I just never thought about it so I always left their collars on though.

Recently I've changed my mind about collars. A good friend of mine was home with her son and their two schnauzers. The two dogs got to playing and one got his teeth under the others collar. Gracie ( the one whose collar was caught), almost died. Her eyes were popping out, her tongue was blue, she stopped breathing.
Even though the collars were quick release and the son is not a small person, they could almost not get them apart before Gracie was going to die. Thankfully, she's ok now.

Now, the only time they wear a collar is to drag a leash from the house to the car if I take them for a ride, then a walk or hike. They drag a leash because I don't trust them not to run around the neighborhood and it gives me another 6 foot handle if necessary.
However, I NEVER walk them on the collar. I have Julius K-9 harnesses for both of them. No matter where we are or what we are doing, they're in the harness. At home, they're naked.

·
Registered
684 Posts
For those who don't keep collars and ID tags on their dogs, PLEASE make sure they're microchipped (they should be anyway), in case they get away from you. It happens, no matter how diligent you are.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We call them necklaces in our house:) They come off at night and go back on in the morning. This way we don't have to hear the sound of their tags at night, and they get to sleep naked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never take my dog's collar off. I don't really see a reson why I should. If a dog is used to wearing a collar, then I'm sure he feel perfectly comfortable with it. There are things like my wedding ring that I almost never take off as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My chi always has his collar on,,.but thats because I take him on walks everyday and it is a big pain to try and fit him everyday! I am also scared he could run away so that is also why, he loves to explore

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try something new try thick nylon dog collar

Hello

Mine always wear theirs, but just because if I take them off, they get upset and whine until I put them back on. They come off for baths, or to wash them once and while, but other than that, they always want to have them on.You can also try thick nylon dog collars It's very comfortable for your pets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My toy poodle runs around naked in the yard and house. If I get the collar out she gets excited because we are going somewhere.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts