Dog Food Chat banner

Do your dogs wear their collars at home?

• Always! My dog is never without their collar

Votes: 67 24.6%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 61 22.4%
  • Never! My dogs are total "nudists"

Votes: 99 36.4%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Even though Uno never wanders away from the house, things can happen. I've heard of dogs run off in panic after a break in and not have their collars on. I understand that theres a chance of dogs getting strangled in the crate or while playing, but both Uno and Indy are extremely mellow (and I dont crate) and sleep a good part of the day, so its not really a concern in my situation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So far we've been leaving the collar on because our yard is not fenced and we live in a largely populated suburb. We don't want him to sneak through the door and not have a collar on. *paranoid*

·
Registered
38 Posts
Orion has his collar on all the time, unless he just had a bath. He tends to be naughty (trying to get on counters, going after the cats, playing too rough with Titan, jumping all over my mom and other guests...the list goes on and on) and having the collar on is convenient when I need to grab/control him quickly. He's still pretty much a pup so I'm hoping one day he'll decided to shape up and then maybe I can take the collar off...

Titan used to wear his collar all the time too, but I have started taking it off him because he has developed a big bald spot on the underside of his neck! Not sure if this is just dachshund pattern baldness (apparently that is a real problem) or what. Orion likes to grab him by the collar and drag him around the house (not cool) so that is another reason. Plus, it's just kind of fun having him be totally silent when he runs through the house!

·
Registered
253 Posts
All three dogs go collarless in the house. I not only hate the sound of tags jingling, but I also greatly dislike the rings collars make on the fur. I walk them on chain matringales or harnesses/packs but rarely put on the tag collars if they are going to stay on-leash. They always wear the tag collars (with bells and lights) on hikes in addition to their harnesses/packs. All three are microshipped.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My dogs' collars are usually off at home. The sound of the tags is annoying to me, plus my boxer gets very itchy and scratches himself if he wears his collar too long. I put the collars on anytime we leave the house, or if we're expecting company (to be able to grab them, if necessary).

·
Registered
182 Posts
I replied with "always" at first but now a few months later, I have thought it through and changed my ways. they are naked when they are inside, harnessed outside. no more collars! I didn't like the look of the ugly, dirty fur lines under collars. plus with huskies who jerk and pull when I first take them out (they settle down after a minute) I worried about neck problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Candy never keeps his collar at home, because it's useless, not very comfortable for him, and I want to avoid knots in his fur which could happen with a collar.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I don't know if I have ever replied to this one... Mine are all typically naked at home.

Dude has thick, coarse, Smooth Collie hair (guard hairs) that are not long and not short around his neck on his ruff. I have been looking for a collar for him for almost ten years now and have tried many different kinds and every single one will break down the hairs until there is a ring of short hair around his neck. It's awful. He is also not a wanderer. He's a homebody.

Buck sometimes wears one since he just looks so great in them but mostly naked. He wears one whenever he goes outside though.

Iorveth is almost always naked at home. The only time he is wearing one is if I just forget to take it off right away. With him there's no risk of ruining the fur and his collar is a soft one that doesn't irritate his skin.

Buck and Iorveth have been and are currently in collars 100% of the time since we are moving and there is too much foot traffic. Everyone is microchipped but they have been wearing their collars at all times. Once we move and are settled they'll go back to being naked again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My dogs are nudists. They only wear collars when they go out somewhere. They will not go out of my front door without their collars and leashes on and the back yard is securely fenced, so I am not worried at all about them getting out without identification, though they are microchipped.

·
Banned
84 Posts
If your dog is just at home, you might as well remove the collar so that the dog would feel comfortable. Having collars on dogs would make them feel so irritated and worse, fur would come off in that area.

·
Banned
84 Posts
It is important that we understand the purpose of putting collars in our dog's neck, let us remember that it is not a decorative thing, for this can harm your dog. Remember: Collars are made to tract dog's location and for some medical purposes .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't like keeping my dog's collar on her, but I know once I take it off, I will be the one who wouldn't be able to find it later, when I need it the most! :(

·
Registered
908 Posts
When we moved, I kept collars/tags on my dogs/cat at all times. Now that the entire 3 acres are fenced and they know the area, the collars are off indoors and put on if we go someplace

·
Registered
12 Posts
Collar off inside. He has learned that he doesnt leave the house without a collar on. He even hesitates before going with out a leash and looks to one of us to make sure its okay to go untethered in the yard.

121 - 140 of 151 Posts