Dog Food Chat banner

Do your dogs wear their collars at home?

• Always! My dog is never without their collar

Votes: 67 24.6%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 61 22.4%
  • Never! My dogs are total "nudists"

Votes: 99 36.4%

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Since I first got Ruby as a puppy I always took her collar off at home, she only wears it for walks but when I go to the park I take it off too. She doesnt like wearing it, and I like her to be comfortable so I keep it off. Plus I live in an apartment, so I dont have to worry about her running away and getting lost without a collar.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I like my dogs nekid!!! I answered sometimes though....'cause sometimes I forget to take the collars off after class :nod:

Seriously though, it depends on the age and situation and how trustworthy they are. Puppies and those who are still learning the rules have collars on most of the time.

There was a while back in June when I lost Kai for FOUR days :pray: and she was naked!!! After that, we didn't go out the door without collars and cell phone. But that's a story for another time.....

We're back to nekid.......

·
Registered
568 Posts
Collars are off at home. Eevee's never tried to run out the door and ever since I got her a martingale, its too much of a choking hazard to keep on.
Plus, she's too pretty to have a collar indent in her fur! :tongue:

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Changing how we do it...once again!!:tongue:

Brody, Dixi and Leo are collarless when at home.

Rhett and Keeva both have "tag hangers" on order(well they are really semi slip collars...but i like them for tag hangers)that they will be wearing 24/7.
Keeva is now, and Rhett will be next month, micro-chipped....so I want them to always have that tag on!:wink:

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Mollie practically always has her collar on with the rabies tag and id tag. The main reason is that if I take it off then without fail, the next day I'll spend 30 minutes trying to find the damn thing. So, in the water, out of the water, inside, outside, always on.
Windy only has her's on when she goes outside, can't risk her sneaking away and the dog catcher getting hold of her! I have something like 15 collars for her, all with tags on, so it doesn't matter when I lose one.
They are both micro-chipped by the way, I don't take any risks living in a hurricane and storm surge zone.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Collar off in the house...on in the yard..just in case I had to get him under control real quick...Just in Case.....but always off in the house.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
eh, it depends on the day. Some days they wear them, somedays they don't

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cornelius is nekkid in the house. I think I started it when he was a baby and didn't want him to get stuck on something when I wasn't around. He wears a harness when we walk but when I put a regular collar on to take him to daycare, you'd think he'd gotten a bad case of fleas. He scratches and scratches to try and get it off. Mind you, he's just fine when he gets in the car and all day at daycare. Oh, the injustice! LOL

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah I've changed my tune since I originally voted in the poll. Duke is now nakey at home, since my brothers dog is with us, I don't want them to be able to choke/get caught up in collars while playing. Plus I have nice pretty collars and the yard is black dirt at the moment - doesnt make for very nice collars after a few days lol. I put his collar on when we go out, or just his harness for walking. And he is microchipped, god forbid he should get out somehow. But if he somehow escaped when we're out with his collar on, he has a name tag with my number on it, and a tag saying he is microchipped.

Nala wears her collar 24/7, with a little bell on it. She doesn't go outside - the bell is for our benefit, not the wildlife! Haha. That bell has saved my ankles from an attack many times :wink:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Naked here. Because I am SO paranoid about a harness or collar being caught on something and she gets hurt. I've heard way too many stories :(

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Yeah I've changed my tune since I originally voted in the poll. Duke is now nakey at home, since my brothers dog is with us, I don't want them to be able to choke/get caught up in collars while playing. Plus I have nice pretty collars and the yard is black dirt at the moment - doesnt make for very nice collars after a few days lol. I put his collar on when we go out, or just his harness for walking. And he is microchipped, god forbid he should get out somehow. But if he somehow escaped when we're out with his collar on, he has a name tag with my number on it, and a tag saying he is microchipped.

Nala wears her collar 24/7, with a little bell on it. She doesn't go outside - the bell is for our benefit, not the wildlife! Haha. That bell has saved my ankles from an attack many times :wink:
Oh ya....all 3 cats wear theirs 24/7 as well.
Big Boy Boots(my cat who claimed and lives with my Mum) has a leather "spiked" puppy collar that my Dad made into a "kitty safety" collar and a tag....my 2 have nylon kitty collars!:wink:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Peanut is always naked inside the house. he has 3 doors to get thru to get out and he is never more then 5 feet from me so i don't worry about him getting out without a collar on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
it depends...usually off in the house unless company is over.
so if I need to grab him or he slips out the door when someone's coming in for precaution.

don't like the noise or marks it leaves, imagine its uncomfortable to wear...<<

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sam is an only dog here, so I don't need to worry about things that go along with that. I would prefer to leave it off in the house, but with 6 people living in the house the door opens to randomly to leave him without while we live in a neighbourhood with nut jobs and speeders. Ok it's not that bad, but it just takes one time for him to slip out and decide the road looks like fun... I'd rather have the collar to grab onto if need be. He's usually great around the door though. :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I prefer collarless dogs. But at our apartment, we have them on because they have to go out on a leash and i Guess it is out of pure lazyness of not wanting to have to put them on and off 10 times a day.

·
Registered
972 Posts
My girls are non going with collars off in and outside. They get put back on if we go somewhere or if I need to tie them up in the yard. We live on an acre in the country now and they are supervised when outside.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I usually leave my puppy's collar on simply because he still doesn't seem accustomed to it. The only time it comes off is to get thrown in with the laundry when he gets a bath! THEN he gets to run around naked for an hour XD he is now microchipped so I don't make him wear it for identification purposes.

My mom and dad live on a huge farm, and whatever dog they have at any given time is usually naked. They just got a new puppy and bought a new collar to go along with it! The idea is that the puppy will wear her collar whenever they are doing initial training as well as "public appearances" and walks. Any other time, she will be naked to prevent her from hanging herself on trees and any other dog-height obstacle.

Just wanted to make sure ya'll understood that I am on both sides of the argument :) it just depends on the situation which will suit the dog's health better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine are naked in the house. I've heard too many horror stories of people coming home and their dogs have hung themselves. I know that's mostly a "crate issue" but it still scares me silly. Tux knows not to leave the house even if the door is open. However, when my mom's beagle comes to visit he wears his 24/7 because he has incredible powers of beagle-kinesis and has gotten out once. Scared the pants off me.

Tux is microchipped but on his tag I have the microchip number and the company number. Just in case. Nothing scares me more than losing him.

101 - 120 of 151 Posts