Dog Food Chat banner

Do your dogs wear their collars at home?

• Always! My dog is never without their collar

Votes: 67 24.6%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 61 22.4%
  • Never! My dogs are total "nudists"

Votes: 99 36.4%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
ALWAYS on. both my girls ( a purebred siberian husky and a half husky/ half lab) are VERY prone to random door charging, at home and in the car. expecially before they go to the dog park. Ever try catching a hyper running husky without a collar? you grab them and they sound like your trying to kill them. It is just easier for both me and my girls if they keep their collars on at all times.
the few times I have taken them off they look at me like "what are you crazy!? thats mine, put it back on!" and then follow me around until I do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One of my Rotties and my mutt wear their collars 24/7 the other Rottie never wears a collar due to major neck and spinal surgery. When we take him out, he has a harness with ID on it, and all of my dogs are ID chipped. All of my previous dogs have worn their collars 24/7, and sometimes I think I can still "hear" their jingles in my mind in the hallway. :eek:(

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was on the fence about the collar wearing for a while...he's not a door rusher, so no problem there,
but what if somehow someone wasn't careful (my friends who have to chase their dogs through the neighborhood *cough cough*) and he got out?

then, the other day we were at a friend's house playing board games.
my pup really does not like this hot weather we're having, so he'll sit on top of the vent to help himself cool down.
suddenly I heard a whining, jerking sound - it was my pup, who had gotten his tags stuck in the vent flats.
thank goodness that was the first time it had happened and I was there to get him out...what might have happened if he had been by himself?

so no more collars inside as long as we're going to stay for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The obedience class instructor told us to NEVER keep a collar (especially the choke chain collar that we had to use for class) on when the dog is in the house - she said she had personally heard of a number of cases where the dog got hung by the collar (some of them were not choke chain collars) -

·
Registered
199 Posts
Collars are only ever on during walks/going out on a leash etc. Keeping collars on showdogs does not bode well plus leaving collars on all the time, especially when you aren't around can be dangerous.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I changed mine to sometimes....as my puppies(Rhett and Leo) are both now collar-less unless they are needed. ie for Rhett: walks, car rides, we are going in and out of the gate a lot, etc...ie. for Brody: walks(which then includes harness as well,) car rides, weekends(because of people walking causing him to bark...so he gets tethered to one of us,) and us going in and out a lot.

Leo on the other hand...well Leo is a STRANGE one!LOL If you take off his collar and dont put one back on he runs and hides. But the first time this happened I remembered that his old dad said that the last time he ever had his collar off was 4th of July, 2010 when he snapped his collar, and hid under their deck for nearly a week......so now he is never without a collar...and he is SUPER happy that way!:wink:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Always naked in the house, we put the collar only for walks outside .:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Mine are naked in the house. Dude has medium length (an inch or two long) coarse guard hairs (smooth collie) and it rubs the hair down to about 1/4 of an inch long. They get them put on when they go out in the yard though, just in case something were to happen.

·
Registered
424 Posts
All three keep them on-two are chipped and the 3rd will be chipped this week. Don't know why I keep them on, as I don't have tags on them, and they will come (whoops-the little one is 80% if she can see me but only about 70% if I am out of sight-still working on this) . They just wear plain leather rolled collars. Maybe it is because my Heart could not stand to be without his collar. If it was off for a bath he learned to step on it to flip it up and get his head in-he is buried in that collar. Had one pair that would take them off of each others necks :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dogs were always left with their collars on until one of my dogs almost choked to death. I came home and one of my Shih Tzus didn't get up to say hi. REALLY unusual because she is very loving and excitable. My husband and I went over and he picked her up. She was holding one of her front legs straight out. It was then that I noticed her leg was through the collar. She could not get free on her own. Her collar really wasn't that loose. I go by the two finger rule and it was maybe three fingers. I immediately took the collar off and thank goodness she was okay! I went over and took my other dog's collar off and they're never worn them inside since! The scary part is that my husband and I had thought about staying out later, but I decided I wanted to go home. I don't even want to think of how it might how been if we were gone even longer. :(

Basically they don't need collars indoors anyway. I live in an apartment, so anyone in there would be up to no good anyway. Outside my dogs do wear their collars and are on leash except at our apartment's doggie park. (There are no other dogs in there with them).

·
Registered
712 Posts
Two of my dogs wear collars 24/7, the other one doesn't because they tend to irritate her neck and she doesn't seem to mind much if I need to grab her by the scruff anyways. I'm much more concerned about the chance of a fight and needing to grab dogs in a hurry than them getting caught on something. I don't have tags hanging though, I only throw those on for walks or out of town trips, they are all chipped and not really given any chance to get loose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is actually an active topic in our home. We have one lab, four cats, and two kids. Our girls are VERY insistent that we keep collars on all our pets at all times. The cats are good at removing their collars, so they often run around 'naked,' but our dog always has hers on. Our kids are worried that Chloe might get out and get lost. They are terrified of the thought of Chloe not having a collar on and not being returned to us. It's interesting to see what other people are doing with their dogs.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
i try keeping Cesars collar on him msot of the time always before he goes outside but have been taking it off as he is having skin allergy issues around his neck and its red,hairless and scabby ive since been washing it with warm water several tiem a day and keep the collar off or very loose and so far has been helping to heal the scabs

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its about 50/50 with me. Like right now his collar is off and he is passed out on my couch, but when I get up in the morning it will be back on because I hate fumbling with it when I am in a hurry to get out the door.
I feel like he sleeps more comfortably with it off. But he is one of those dogs that when I take it off he gets all "Why?? Put it back put it back" at me lol like he wants me to put it back on

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My dog always has his collar off at home as well as inside of the dog run/dog park. Too many opportunities for tangles, and potential for injury.
Naked except for the leashed walk.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
My dachshund never wears a collar at all.

My Doberman's collar just dangles, with about 4 inches of gap. It would pull off very easily if he got it stuck. I only have it on him because if he doesn't have a collar on he gets upset for some reason, and keeps trying to get me to put it on him. Apparently he doesn't like being totally naked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My dachshund never wears a collar at all.

My Doberman's collar just dangles, with about 4 inches of gap. It would pull off very easily if he got it stuck. I only have it on him because if he doesn't have a collar on he gets upset for some reason, and keeps trying to get me to put it on him. Apparently he doesn't like being totally naked.
Oh my God I had a Schnauzer and he had this fake diamond necklace, and he would wear that thing everywhere, he loved it! If you took it off he would howl like a crazy dog until you put hi "pretties" back on. He was an odd dog lol didnt give a crap about his collar but that necklace, man oh man would he freak

·
Registered
863 Posts
Off whenever we're in the house, or just in the backyard playing. They only wear collars when we go to the park, dog event, etc. After witnessing my parents Labs almost kill each other when one got his canine stuck in the others collar, mine will never have collars on when indoors.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Oh my God I had a Schnauzer and he had this fake diamond necklace, and he would wear that thing everywhere, he loved it! If you took it off he would howl like a crazy dog until you put hi "pretties" back on. He was an odd dog lol didnt give a crap about his collar but that necklace, man oh man would he freak
You wouldn't think dogs would notice that stuff would you? Rebel is not as discerning as your Schnauzer - he has an old cheap collar from PetSmart.

But he really does want it on - if I set it on the table he brings it to me and starts jumping up and down on his front feet, and if I put it in a drawer he keeps trying to get me over there to the drawer, and whining at it.

Funny that it was a boy dog that liked his diamonds!! Just goes to show that diamonds aren't only a girls best friend :)

81 - 100 of 151 Posts