Dog Food Chat banner

Do your dogs wear their collars at home?

• Always! My dog is never without their collar

Votes: 67 24.6%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 61 22.4%
  • Never! My dogs are total "nudists"

Votes: 99 36.4%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Naked in the house, collars on if we're going out for a walk or a car ride.

My dogs prefer to be naked. :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lou Lou cant stand to be naked. (only when swimming or too hot) and she has tugs on the drawers of her dresser when she can open it and get what she wants out. and she does this often to either bring me a shirt, or collar, or whatever. and whenever i mention going somewhere thats the first place she runs. and just grabs the first one she can and runs back. nudging me as if saying can i go? and if i can can i wear this?
if i give her more time she will open the collar drawer and seemingly stare and debate and nudge around finding the PERFECT one for the day. she seems to favor the brightest color or the ones with the fanciest designs. or of course, anything new.
most of the time She wears pretty much whatever she wants, but if we go someplace and its likely to get dark she wears reflective, even if she is white, it just makes it easier to spot her.

as for the dark marks dogs often get, ive noticed that happens to her and riley more often when there is metal on the collar. i wonder if an allergy or something? (doesnt happen on my brindle male's white chest patch) but only appears after wearing the collar with metal buckle for a week straight or more. but lou rarely wears the same collar more than 3 or 4 days in a row (collaraholic-guilty as charged).
and she gets a bath once a week, or twice if she gets really dirty from rain and mud.
(i know this can dry out the oils in their skin and coat but i use this special conditioner with lotion in it. it really helps and makes her hair sooooo soooooft ^_^ ) she sleeps with me and she also plays with the other dogs. i cant stand the "dirty dog" smell and she is mostly white and gets dirty so easily. i also dont like sleeping in a crumb and dirt filled bed either lol

she is very spoiled... like.. extremely. to the point she "shops" with me at pet stores and when she finds something, 9 times out of 10 i get it for her... lol. but she is very well behaved, old (11) and retiring from working/agility. so i think she deserves it. she gets what she wants.. and wears what she wants. if she doesnt like the collar you put on her, she will do everything she can to remove it. you put her favorite one on, and she never wants it off....until her attentions go to a new interest...much like a prissy woman with jewelry or pocket books or shoes... aka...my mother. >.<

her newest kick is this light brown silky collar with black and white cows lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I leave them on unless they are in their kennels. god forbid it but what if one got out? it makes it easier for them to get back to you if someone finds them.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My Boxers only wear their collars if we go out or if they are going to play in our front yard. Little Phoebe all the time, because she still do not come when we call her. Even if she goes to the backyard I put the leash on, so I can catch her easier when is time to come inside.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I never keep collar's on in the house they mat the hair around my dogs neck even the rolled ones,but always when we go out they are not allowed out the front door till they have their collar on they are also microchiped.

·
Registered
437 Posts
6 of my pack wear collars all of the time. 2 yorkies never do and the 3rd is an escape artist, I worry to much for him not to wear it.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Brody doesnt cause Rhett thinks it is his personal handle on his brother!:wink:

Rhett does because I like to be able to grab one his age quickly if needed!:wink:

Reactions: DoglovingSenior

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I did used to keep Stanley's collar on at home but then I read about dogs sometimes getting their toes stuck in the collar (and I've just read what other people said about jaws!) and it would be awful if that happened whilst I was out so I now take it off when at home. Doesn't seem to affect his fur in anyway as he has very short coat. I suppose it makes it easy to grab the dog if need be, wearing a collar though.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Tank doesn't wear a collar at all because he has wobblers. He wears a harness when he leaves the house.
But, Goliath and Sophia always wear a collar.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 3 dogs all wear harnesses all the time unless it's bath time. The 2 puppies also have collars on that have their rabies tag and ID tag. Molly only wears a harness because of her fat neck she looked funny. We just attached her rabies tag and city tag to the harness. We have strict laws about dogs not being licensed with the city and dogs running at large. My 2 puppies will run out the door if you are not carefull, they have never ran out to the street but I always worry when they run out and immediately catch them. They are always on a leash.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ours go absolutely bonkers if you remove their collars. They have fits about it and follow you around until they get their collar back
They just love their collars!
and their Christmas scrunchies!
and their little bandannas from the groomer!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lucky never wears a collar indoors, her hair is a bit longer around her neck and the collar just messes it up, also she doesn't really like wearing it, she will scratch at it all the time or try and rub it off :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Naked...all of them. There's just no reason for them to wear collars. And, we live on a farm where they run a lot. I'd hate for them to get tangled in a fence or injured because of a collar. The only time they wear collars is when we are traveling, with ID tags and rabies tags.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
All but 3 of mine always wear their collars with ID. I make collars so every time mine get dirty they get a new one. Tommy doesn't wear one because he doesn't even go outside unless I'm standing with him. He's some serious hawk bait. Madison doesn't always wear one because she's 17 and couldn't run from me and get lost even if she wanted to. And Toby doesn't always wear one just because of his hair loss due to his thyroid. It's bad around his neck area so I don't want the collar rubbing on his bare skin. I love to see my guys in new colorful collars!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Roscoe doesn't wear clothes at home. When she was a pup, she'd chew on her tags, so we just got into the habit of taking off the collar at home. It stays attached to her leash, so she knows when we get the collar and leash it's time to go on an adventure. :D

An added benefit, being naked, she doesn't wake up the house when she shakes or shifts in her kennel at night.

61 - 80 of 151 Posts