Dog Food Chat banner

Do your dogs wear their collars at home?

• Always! My dog is never without their collar

Votes: 67 24.6%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 61 22.4%
  • Never! My dogs are total "nudists"

Votes: 99 36.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just a fun poll to see how many people let their dogs run around "naked" at home and why or why not :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I like to leave the collars off of my dogs, different reason for each dog.

Penny: she's getting a kink in her fur from the collar and it turns the white part of her neck gray, which is gross to me.

Milo: has always had a slightly bald neck, trying to get that fur to grow back and it seems to be working!

Peyton: her neck was starting to bald as well. Plus, who doesn't love a naked puppy? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Ania is nekkid at home too! The collar messes up her fur! :eek: Plus, she knows that when the collar comes out, she's goin' out!

Richelle

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
My dogs are all naked at home because if I leave them on my boy dog Leo tries to choke all the girls!:eek:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Mine are all little nudists. Champ is too handsome to have a kink in his neck fur! same with Grissom. Annie never ever got used to hers and walks funky with one on if I don't take it off after our walk, and Chesney is just a nakie little puppy! Having multiple dogs, I don't like them playing, especially unattended, with collars on. I've seen too many daycare dogs get their mouths stuck, one even broke his jaw. Mine are all microchipped (AND properly registered with Avid or Home Again) so I just don't feel the need to keep ID tags on them. If they were found, they're obviously someone's pet and any vet or shelter can scan for a chip.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Jack always wears one because he is prone to wandering (and deaf).
Flip wears his on and off.

P.J. always has his on too, with a bell, because we want to know what he's doing at all times. ;) His collar is a breakaway though, of course.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine always wear theirs, but just because if I take them off, they get upset and whine until I put them back on. They come off for baths, or to wash them once and while, but other than that, they always want to have them on lol

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
This is kind of funny. Shadey is my son's new rescue Boxer mix. He was 3 1/2 years old when they got him. They got him a beautiful new collar at a fancy boutique pet store and it has all his tags on it. The dog LOVES his collar so much, that if you take it off of him, he gets upset and will keep pushing his head at you until you snap his collar back on him! He was a yard dog with no belongings before they got him and he is so thrilled to be a house dog with actual possessions now that you can't even take his collar off of him! It reminds me of Lady and the Tramp when Tramp finally gets his own collar.

Rocky and Chelsy don't wear collars in the house. It mats down their hair and I can't stand the sound of tags jingling all the time. When Shade moves in with me in a month I am going to have to get used to the sound since there is no way I am getting his collar off of him!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I try to keep the collars and harnesses off of Amaya and Ryou when they're at home. They like to chew on them (Amaya's been through THREE!), and I can't count how many times Amaya has gotten her mouth stuck in them! I only leave them on when I get home for a walk and know I'm going out with them later, or if I forget to take them off of the dogs. Bad, bad mama! haha. They don't like their collars and harnesses, obviously.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My dogs keep there's on! They seem to charge to the door if I get a delivery or someone is at the door and I like having the collars on in case they bolt which they haven't yet I am a bit paranoid even though they are micro chipped. My one dog when she was a puppy around 5 or so months old got loose and ran down a busy street and a wonderful woman picked her up put her in the front of her car and drove around with her as we frantically looked for her. It was dark and she's dark colored so scary! But anyway the woman looked at her collar to find out where she lived . She saw my one daughter looking around and the woman asked her if she was looking for a dog who my daughter did see in the front seat! She was a very nice lady and we got her back. Had it not been for that tag on the collar I don't know what she would have done with her! Would have hated the thought of her in a strange shelter or police station whereever she would be ! But anyway that was a long time ago and I just feel safe with the collar on like I said even if they are micro chipped! Who knew shed get out the door it happens! I have heard other stories like this and some not so pleasantly UGH!~ I am so glad I never went through this lately!:eek:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine are naked in the house. They do not run out the door, so that's some security and they are also chipped.
The collars kink their fur and just seem uncomfortable. They aren't used to wearing them for long periods so they'll scratch at their necks if I leave them on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Koda's collar is pretty much on 24/7. The reason goes back to our first Golden, Bailey. He never wore his collar in the house and one day, we were having work done on the house and the contractor left the door open, and out wandered Bailey. Luckily, we found him but ever since then, I'm too paranoid to not have a collar on any of my dogs.

He is microchipped but that's not a guarantee that the person that finds him, will take him somewhere that can read the chip. I just feel better knowing he's wearing his tags.

- Jean

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Mine are naked in the house. They do not run out the door, so that's some security and they are also chipped.
The collars kink their fur and just seem uncomfortable. They aren't used to wearing them for long periods so they'll scratch at their necks if I leave them on.
A few months ago we had to take Zio to the vet because his neck was looking bad in some areas. Turns out that because of the skin folds there, the collar was rubbing the fur off. Esp after he was wet. So now we don't have a collar on him around the house. However, he ALWAYS has a collar (with ID on it) whenever he's in the yard or out of the house training, for walks, etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Always on, because of the ID tag. With our luck, the one time we took it off she'd get loose and fail to find her way back home.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts