Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What does everyone use after preparing their dogs' meals?

I've decided on white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. I just cleaned my kitchen floor with it. Smells good. I also cleaned their bowls.
I use soap and water too!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We just use diluted general cleaner, but we don't use it much. Since we feed outside primarily there really isn't much cleanup. The containers we use just get washed out with regular soap.

The dogs do most of the cleaning!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
After preparing meals, we clean as I would if I had been preparing the meat for myself: just a simple antibacterial.

After feeding, I don't do much. I used to feed outside, but since we'll be moving out of the house and into an apartment soon, we've trained the dogs to eat on their own rugs. I only ge them out at feeding time, and I bleach them in the washer once a week.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wash my hands in as hot water as I can stand. Then if any meat has come into contact with the counter top, I clean the counter top with Lysol. As far as the floor goes, we have all tile throughout the house, so wherever the dogs take their food(usualy in the den) I mop those spots with pine sol.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I wash my hands (usually with soap but not always) and I wipe off the cabinet with a damp paper towel (most of the time). I don't do anything to the bowls (they only use bowls about 2 meals a week). I don't do anything to the floor. The dogs do a good job of cleaning the floor then each dog cleans the other dog's floor also.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I use regular soap and water for the bowl cleanup and when I clean up the floors, they are tile/wood I use water/vinegar mixture.

After chopping up meat and such I will clean my counters with Lysol bleach/water mixture, but I'm a little bit of a neat freak so there you go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wash my hands (usually with soap but not always) and I wipe off the cabinet with a damp paper towel (most of the time). I don't do anything to the bowls (they only use bowls about 2 meals a week). I don't do anything to the floor. The dogs do a good job of cleaning the floor then each dog cleans the other dog's floor also.
LOL! Glad to see my puppies are perfectly normal. hahaha They clean each others' floors and their own floors.

So you just plop the slop on top of the floor?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
No, when I feed slop stuff I put it in bowls. Thats usually 2 or 3 meals a week. Those meals would be beef heart chunk meals and canned fish/liver/eggs meals. The majority of their meals would be chicken quarters or backs or Boston Butt pork roasts or any other whole animal parts. With those meals, I usually stand at the kitchen sink and hand out animal parts.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
we have clorox wipes for the counters, but i used them before i fed raw...

we use soap and water for the bowls after each meal and we clean their water dish every day, since it is standing water....

when they are fed outside, they clean the grass

when they are fed inside, i use a large bath towel that i wash once a week....

i also have a steam mop for the floors that i use, simply because bubba is a gulper/regurgitator; and after he cleans up, the floor is sticky. it's not for any germy reasons....

in the beginning, i sanitised everything....including the dogs LOL

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we have clorox wipes for the counters, but i used them before i fed raw...

i also have a steam mop for the floors that i use, simply because bubba is a gulper/regurgitator; and after he cleans up, the floor is sticky. it's not for any germy reasons....
Recently on the news, scientists warn about the over use of clorox wipes or similar items because they don't kill bacteria as they claim to. So... I stopped using them except for some cleaning in the bathrooms.

I want one of those steam mops. Jealous! I'm looking at the one which does both floors and carpet.

I find the diluted vinegar gets rid of the stickiness too. My husband is good at leaving a trail of sticky goo after feeding his hummers. We've got over 25 birds now visiting us. We started out with three.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm about 95% sure that I've heard that white vinegar has anti-bacterial properties. :wink:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Recently on the news, scientists warn about the over use of clorox wipes or similar items because they don't kill bacteria as they claim to. So... I stopped using them except for some cleaning in the bathrooms.

I want one of those steam mops. Jealous! I'm looking at the one which does both floors and carpet.

I find the diluted vinegar gets rid of the stickiness too. My husband is good at leaving a trail of sticky goo after feeding his hummers. We've got over 25 birds now visiting us. We started out with three.
if ever you get one of those steam mops...and i love mine, get the thane H2O mop...go to Thane USA - Quality as seen on TV products!

a friend of mine bought one for me as a present but she got the more expensive one. as far as i'm concerned, the cheaper one is just as good if not better..it's lighter weight and does the same job.

mine comes apart and has a hand held, which i use sometimes instead of clorox....wipes...

course, now that you've told me about them, i may well stop using them and just use the steamer...not much survives boiling water..

plus, it's so easy to go over my carpeting after they've had a gnawing session with a bone....

there is an enzyme cleaner, perfectly safe for dogs and humans that we get at bed bath and beyond...and i use that if a little blood gets on the rug from the bone....

they usually eat their bones outside....but if it's raining as it has been, they just eat on their beds or the living room rug and i use the mop. takes five minutes to clean up after them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm about 95% sure that I've heard that white vinegar has anti-bacterial properties. :wink:
It does! AMAZING ones!

When I took a microbiology class as a prerequisite for nursing school, one of our "projects" was to bring in products that "claim" to be disinfectants or antiseptics. Several students brought in the same products, but with 33 students in the class, we had a good variety. What we did then was inoculate petri dishs with a variety of bacteria, let it grow a week, then place drops of various disinfectants and antiseptics on the growing bacteria to see what would kill what.

NOTHING killed more bacteria than plain ol' white vinegar - not bleach, Lysol, rubbing alcohol. The #2 killer of the bacteria on the petri dishes was hydrogen peroxide, and it was a close second. Garlic was even more effective than Lysol!

Now, I highly doubt we inoculated the dishes with E. coli or salmonella, but whatever bacteria we DID use was killed at a very high rate with vinegar and H2O2.

I would bet that if you sprayed white vinegar (about $2 a GALLON at Wal-Mart), wiped, and then followed up with H2O2, you'd be pretty darn safe!

Edit: Oh, if you USE H2O2, be sure you do not pour it into a clear spray bottle. The chemical properties in H2O2 are altered by light - that is why it comes in the dark brown bottle. What I do is take the original cap off the H2O2 bottle and replace it with a sprayer top... :eek:)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Yeah, but your kitchen sure would smell! LOL:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I wipe the counters and such down with Mrs. Meyers countertop spray (lavender scent). I wash my hands with soap and water.
Our dogs are trained to eat off of a towel which I wash every 2 or 3 days or so.
When the towels are being washed I use the steam shark mop on the floors. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use Pine Sol for daily mopping and counter wiping, but if it has been a couple of days I use a little clorox. Our floors are all tile throughout, and I use a cuban mop so it is REALLY easy and quick. Sometimes I just spot clean if there is anything left over on the floor from meat. I don't think any of our bunch uses their bowls.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts